Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MBNA Credit Card for a Student ?

Options
  • 18-11-2003 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

I have had a BOI Mastercard for almost a year and a half now and have recently had my credit limit increased from the student standard of €350 to €1000, because they said I'm a good customer :p .

I am thinking of switching to MBNA and I am wondering might I be turned down because of my 'student status' ? I am also working part time.

Any feedback from those who have dealt with MBNA or students who are with MBNA, would be much appreciated.

Regards......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

They will be looking at your earnings not your student status as such.

A €1,000 limit is probably unsafe if you are only working part time and will be taking time off for exams etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Be very, very careful, the credit card 'debt trap' is beckoning!. You have been warned:eek:

P.:ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Originally posted by Victor
    A €1,000 limit is probably unsafe if you are only working part time and will be taking time off for exams etc.

Yeah, you're right about that. €1000 is probably a bit high.
    Originally posted by Paddy20
    Be very, very careful, the credit card 'debt trap' is beckoning!.

I am very careful and very aware of the debt trap. I only make purchases I can afford and I pay my monthly bills in full by DD.

Might give it a shot anyway and see what they say.....they can only say no. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gaui3d0pnbz86o

be careful, a friend of mine filled out a mbna form out for a laugh(form came in the post, you know the you are pre approved ones)

he got the card 2000 limit, and yes he is still a student,

the card is nearly always maxed out, its never been cleared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Richieh

You won't miss what you never had!! Leave it at €350 for now I'd say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

I would echo that - Stick with the €350 limit. If you are travelling - pre load it.

If I was taking out a card tomorrow - I would go for a limit like €350.

I am working full time But I don't want the option of easy credit.

Advertisement