Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evolution versus Creationusm

Options
  • 28-10-1999 3:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Well folks, it's that time of year again, Darwin Day. November 2nd 1999 is the day heathens all over the world worship and adore the burning effigy of science that is Darwin. The questin is:
    "If we were once monkeys how come we can rocket jump?"

Down with the PC, Sutty, Mullen, and Brenno. Up with colored plastics

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 el_pres42

The evidence for evolution is overwhelming. i dont know how you can call Darwin a burning effigy for science. darwin was a staunch christian and not the kind of reckless f*.k we see portrayed in modern media circles. As for the empty fossil record, I'd like to tell you crazy creationists a story about the age of the earth and the relevance of gene structure.
    But, as I know Steve meant the posting in jest, I wont go into that. His point was whether Quake was a viable activity in relation to our struggle for survival, toning of our genes etc....
    I guess it is, because we are engaged in an activity which will grow and grow. With the advenmt of team based multi-player, internet residing games, of the quality of Quake, this whole thing will explode. What with the speed of development in these areas, I'd say we're gonna be the pioneers for a huge social phenomonon.
    Steve, youve got the right idea,
    LETS BUCK THE PARADIGM

Suttcliffe told me to do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 el_pres42

BY THE WAY,
    i was being sarcastic

Suttcliffe told me to do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

el_pres42 is not me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Evolution as a theory and at that it has little if any useful predictive power.

While it can be used to explain how humans evolved from primates, it cannot help us predict what humans will evolve into. This is in contrast to, say, Newton's theory of gravitation, without which we could not have landed on the Moon.

This makes it an easy target for fundamentalists: they don't derive any benefit from it's existence, and it contradicts the fundamental basis of their religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

We are NOT going to discuss this here. Please go to the talk.origins newsgroup, or read the faqs on:

http://www.talkorigins.org

Teeth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Check out "Chariots of the Gods" and "Fingerprints of the Gods".
    Stuff about all the stuff men did years ago that was impossible for the time (stuff we can only barely manage now)

"There are more things in heaven and earth Horatio..........."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭earthworm_jim

Yeah, that bloke has loads of theories, most of which are bollocxs, but a few of them are a bit interesting.

One thing he talks about in "Chariots of the Gods" is excerpts from the bible that seem to suggest extraterrestrial involvement in our history. This quote for example from the book of Exodus describes God appearing to Moses:
    EXO 19:16 And it came to pass on the third day in the morning, that there were thunders and lightnings, and a thick cloud upon the mount, and the voice of the trumpet exceeding loud; so that all the people that was in the camp trembled.

EXO 19:17 And Moses brought forth the people out of the camp to meet with God; and they stood at the nether part of the mount.

EXO 19:18 And mount Sinai was altogether on a smoke, because the LORD descended upon it in fire: and the smoke thereof ascended as the smoke of a furnace, and the whole mount quaked greatly.

EXO 19:20 And the LORD came down upon mount Sinai, on the top of the mount: and the LORD called Moses up to the top of the mount; and Moses went up.

Now if that doesn't sound like a spaceship landing, I don't know what does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

anyone watch that program on bbc2 last night?

Apparently some German believes that aliens taught us to farm and introduced culture, civilisation etc. The title of his book was "Is God an astronaut?", it sold several million copies.

Personally I'd have more stock in the Atlantis theory. It is possible a very advanced civilisation existed several thousand years before recorded history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Both theories are viable. Whichever way, SOMETHING fcuking weird happened a couple of million years ago...

Advertisement