Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virtual memory too low!

Options
  • 19-11-2003 1:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

So yeah whenever i play DC, after about 20/30mins this error pops up and goes away and then in about another 10/15mins the game crashes. Whats the story like? heres my specs winXP SP1, P4, 1.7ghz, 256MB ram, 64 Geforce 2 mx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

When this message appears it means your PC has run out of its Virtual memory. You will need to increase the size of the virtual memory or [better] get more RAM.

To change the size of the Virtural Memory in XP goto: Computer\Properties\Advanced\Performance Settings\Advanced\Change Virtual Memory It is reccomeneded to change this to 2.5 times your ram. So if you have 256mb RAM change it to 640mb or so. I've never done this though so i cannot tell you of the results you may encounter by doing this.

It always works out better getting some more RAM though. I have over halved the loading time for BF by doubling the RAM I had.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

yeah but the odd thing is that this only happens playing dc and now bf1942? yeah i do need to get some more ram. I just need to figure out what kind of ram my comp takes. also how is 512mbs of ram?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

no need to get more ram, just do as winters said, increase the virtual memory on your hard drive :)

I know the way to do it on win2000 is to go to
    control panel->system->advanced->performance options-> virtual memory (hit the change button) -> set you're mins and max's and you're good to go

yeah i going to do that but i want to get more ram to. Anybody know the type i would need for a Dell Dimension 4400? and hows much does 512mbs cost?

The RAM used in the Demsion4400 is Kingston's KTD4400. I believe its just DDR PC2100 but i cant be sure. Best to ask on the technology board though.

Dell have them for sale through their website if you wish to buy more from them, you can see it here. Or alternatively you can save yourself some money [im guessing] and buy direct from Komplett.ie, but you will just need to make sure you get the correct RAM and also remember Dell dont like you opeaning up your system.

BF1942 and DC require a lot of memory to run due to the fact it has to load all the games sounds, models etc. onto the RAM to play. Thats the reason why if you dont have a lot of RAM you will get this notice. I would really reccomend 512mb ram for BF and mods and 256mb minimum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

I used to get this problem too before i upgraded my p.c. For the time being, you could try turning off any background tasks you have running too, that should help, i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Irish_Kamikaze

EH?

Hay winters is there any possible way of changing the hurtz for my monitor without re-config and then re-booting?

What i mean is i hav to keep restarting my pc because i can only play Battlefield if its in 60hz but mine is auto'd to 100hz and i hav 2 keep switching back and forth.

Yes very easy.

Right click on desktop -> Peoperties -> Settings -> Advanced ... under the General tab set it to Apply the settings without restarting. Then go to the Monitor tab and set the refresh rate you require. Hit Apply and OK and that should be done.

The monitor and graphics card should automaticly change depending on what its needs and you will not have to change anything anyways.

What is Virtual Memory?:confused:

:ninja: :ninja: :ninja: :ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

the ultimate answer to any question youve ever asked.

: Read Before Posting.

• Advertisement

Thx for that man:mad: :mad: :mad:

:o:o :ninja: :o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

no probs :rolleyes:

hahahaha! im getting the last word hear hehehe!!!:D :D :cool: :D:D

:ninja: ww) :ninja:

;)

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Winters, if I was getting a new pc from dell would I be better off buying the min amount of ram and then upgrading it?
    Is it simply just a matter of slotting it in? Will windows recognise the ram on its own?

Getting it with the PC is probably easier for someone who doesnt want to or doesnt have a lot of knowledge about tinkering around the inside of a PC. Remember Dell dont like it too much if you fiddle around inside.

It all depends on what you want. You may save those few euro by buying it yourself but then you will have to make sure you get the right memory [check Dell site link in one of my posts above for Dell memory]. Besides that putting in Ram is very easy, its just a case of slotting it into the Ram slots and booting your PC up. Just make sure your not covered in static electricity and the PC is fully switched off and unplugged too.

Windows will have no problem recognising the ram as long as you install it correctly [near impossible to install it wrong] or if you get the wrong type. It should immediatly show up in your bios if you install more ram. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

cool, thanks for that.
    I will be getting a new pc but not til the summer, just doing some research now.
    Dell's ram is some much more expensive; I suppose you're just paying for the fact that it will definately work.
    If I was getting a pc now, mainly for gaming would 1024mb future proof me for awhile?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

1024Mb will do you for the foreseeable future.
    I can't see anything needing anything over that for a loooooong time. Standard games on DVD will come before that I'd say.

Thing is, some systems for some reason don't llke it when you go above 512Mb. You're probably best paying the extra money to Dell to stop you having to open up your PC and mess about with it yourself, also at least then you'll be under warranty etc.

how much do they charge for that? also my PC says that it can be upgraded to 1024mb. Don't have the money to do that yet so i reckon i'll just get another 512mbs. So how much do they charge and where(in cork) do u bring yur PC to?

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭joe90

Suppafly don,t take your pc to a shop for a memory upgrade the will rip you off. its very easy to do your self. and buying ram on line is less expensive.:cool:

• Advertisement

You could take your pc to my shop its just off from No.21 pole in leeson street!!!

:D :cool: :ninja:

You could take your pc to my shop its just off from No.21 pole in leeson street!!!

u really r just a silly little spammer aren't u :rolleyes:

Originally posted by suppafly
    u really r just a silly little spammer aren't u :rolleyes:

agreed.

Irish_Kamikaze stop with this growing amount of uselss spam. I didn't want to have to lock this thread as it is important to many as a way to solve the Low Virtual Memory problem but it has now seemed to turn into useless spam and is now locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement