Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

given up the booze

• 19-11-2003 1:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

anyone here kicked the bottle and adjsted to new sober life,
    i am off it a while now simply because i had too make the change and would appreciate it if any of u have made a similar step and how u find it, do u still go out? how do u feel? anwyay let me know on anything relavent to this subject

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I think anyone who has trouble "giving up the drink" either for a short or long term, has serious problems on their hands.

It *shouldn't* be a problem for people to live without drink.

There are no excuses.

Try it - you will feel a lot better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Originally posted by liz2000
    anyone here kicked the bottle and adjsted to new sober life,
    i am off it a while now simply because i had too make the change and would appreciate it if any of u have made a similar step and how u find it, do u still go out? how do u feel? anwyay let me know on anything relavent to this subject

Why did you give it up? was it causing problems for you or health reasons or what?
    what age are you,

tell us a bit more about the problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭xx

I gave up the gargle for a year back when I repeated my leaving cert. It was tough, I tells ya, but I got thru it fine. Got bloodywell smashed the first night I went out and went back on it though.
    In all honesty though, if you put it in perspective, its not that hard to give up, but that really depends on the frequency you drink at at the moment. If you head out 4 - 5 times per week drinking, then giving it up will be hard as a coffin nail. But if you're only a weekend drinker (as I was), then it shouldn't present too much of a problem...after 2 or 3 weeks you don't even miss it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I reckon once the ban comes in it should be easier to give up the drink. I'm not sure about others here but I find the smoky atmosphere makes me extremely thirsty and more likely to get another drink. Remove this and I'm better off.

I think it'd be a great social experiment if the whole country gave up drink for a month and see how different our night life is. Not all would random muggings and accidents plummet, people might actually all enjoy themselves! Kudos to anyone doing it already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

I think anyone who has trouble "giving up the drink" either for a short or long term, has serious problems on their hands.

this is very naive, social life in Ireland revolves around drinking whether we like it or not, you don't have to be an alcoholic to have a problem giving up drink. I think even people who drink small amounts socially could have difficulty giving up drink. Going for a 7-up doesn't have quite the same ring but maybe it should.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

imagine if we all gave up the drink.... the atmosphere in the pub would be just a lil' bit icy wouldn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭liz2000

so yes i did give up the drink for both health reasons and personal addiction reasons, cant stop once started, am 30, no-one needs to tell me theres a problem there, i know there is already , thats why i stopped before its too late, just want advise on adjustment as netting is my new nightly activity and thought i would kill 2 birds with one stone so to speak, anyway want to hear on people with similar experiences than me, so keep um comin, ta,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

If alcohol was no longer fun, and was causing problems in your life. Then you are very wise to have given it up.

While alcohol is a social lubricant. It is also an addictive killer drug which people can become addicted too. Not everyone becomes addicted, and those who do, are often the last people to admit that they have an alcohol problem.

No one can give up for you. If a person feels that they may be 'allergic' to alcohol. Then giving up completely asap is the best option, otherwise the outcome can be tragic.

Life without alcohol is normal.

P.:ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭bean

I went through years of colleg without the stuff. I had no specific issue with it then, i do drink a little now. I did see a lot of guys/gals turning into idiots...really the younger they drink the stupier they can become when they drink. I found that my social life was strapping and healthy then although i did not see a huge appeal in spending all night in a pub. Like i said i drink now but not very much. I like that i can get more loosened and relaxed. Saying that i have been on both sides of it and i can honestly say that i now know that i did not miss out when i did not touch the stuff and i can see myself going off it again in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭tomcosgrave

I quit the booze around Christmas in 2000. I was drinking more and more, Christmas probably being something to do with it, but the fact is that I was I was going on serious benders, saying I wouldn't do so again, but doing so anyway, generally being a menace to myself and blacking out and the like.

Booze problems run on both sides of the family, so I decided to quit while I was still ahead. I wouldn't say I was an out and out alcoholic, as I wasn't using drink to cope with problems in life, I was just getting absolutely messed up. Going by family members who had / have problems, I reckon it was only a matter of time before it got worse. Looking back now, I believe I had a problem. Back when I was a teenager, I spent some time with my great-uncle in Boston. He's an alcoholic who has been sober for 30 years. One day when I was at his house, he took me aside and warned me of the dangers of drink. I thought he was being kindly, but I wonder was he warning me about something? Almost none of the men my Dads side drink, and this has been the case for a few generations. The ones have drunk have run into problems. I reckon there's something going on there.

Quitting was the best thing I ever did - one of the smartest decisions I have ever made. I can stay out late whenever I want, weekday or not, and not have to worry about a hangover. I can drive home and not have to worry about the last train, last bus etc etc. I can be more aware of my surroundings late at night and avoid messy situations. I don't feel compelled to go down the pub, and I have more cash to spend than I had before - it was going on drink!

On the downside, I'm seen as an outsider by certain people because I don't drink. I sometimes get overlooked in rounds because I'm not a drinker. It's a bit of a pain in the arse, but it's not a big problem.

The key to quitting booze is still being able to drink pints, and not glasses of whatever it is you're having instead of the booze. For me, a pint of Cidona or 7up or something is grand, because you can drink at the same rate as other people, instead of having to get a glass of your drink sooner than a buddy might get a pint.

Since getting sober, I've become extremely aware of how heavily Irish people drink - far too much, and with the aim of getting pissed. It's pretty scary, to be honest. I've also become aware of the fact that I'm not drinking and I stay sober when people around me get legless. It's a bit of a bummer not being on the same drunken level with your mates, you feel a bit left out. But if you're having drink problems, the benefits of stopping will outweigh these.

I consider myself to have quit for life. I do not see myself taking up the booze again, nor do I feel compelled to. If I ever did feel compelled to, I would probably seek counselling to get some help in staying off it. But after 3 years, I don't think it'll happen.

Anyway, that's my 2cent, make of that what ye will. Good luck with the quitting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I often don't drink for weeks at a go. I can be quite a heavy drinker, and I often give it up for a few weeks every so often to clear the system, my head and just do myself general goodness.

My boyfriends family has quite an alcohol problem on both sides, so I've heard how horrendous it can be when there are genetic drink problems, luckily there really aren't any in my family.

I'm very worried though about the amount young people drink now (Leaving cert age and under). I'm only 25, but there is a big difference in the amount I drank when I was that age and that they drink now. Actually I probably drank more then, but it would always have been Murphys, nothing like the loony juice they serve nowadays like Breezers, Smirnoff Ice etc. They're just dangerous.

Good luck with the drink, it's very hard to do it in this country, where drinking is such a social norm. But you knew yourself that it was doing you no favours which was a great thing to realise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Originally posted by always_sober
    There are no excuses.

Try it - you will feel a lot better

always_sober, don't you get fact that alcohol is an addictive drug?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I Usually give up the drink for January but this year I gave up for two months and it damn near killed me.
    There's just NOTHING to do on a Saturday night unless you go to a pub.
    Sure, you can go to the cinema or go for coffee but I found that I was worse off the next day after 5 latte's cos I couldn't sleep!
    Dublin is just geared for drinking and not much else. Shame really but that's just the way it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Off it a month myself. No hassle apart from one or two immature friends getting ratty with me because I won't drink.

I decided to give it up for 12 months so only 11 to go. Also off drugs and caffeine as well as anything sweet like sugar, chocolate and fizzy drinks.

So faar I've been fine and am happily on target and still enjoy nights out when everyone else is on the piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Atreides

I’ve decide to give up drinking. It’s not been an easy decision but I think its best. Last time I was out I felt myself getting very aggressive, I was just looking for someone to start something, and I knew if I drank anymore I’d be the one starting something. Really scared the ****e out of me, as I’m normally quiet a mellow and clam guy. I’ve a bright future ahead of me, and the last thing I need is this crap. Its going to be hard, most of the people I socialize with, I met through various drinking outings.

Btw Dublin is a whole for doing anything that doesn’t revolve around a pub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I can live without going out on the piss no bother. But going out and trying to remain sober while everyone around you is getting rat-faced and constantly - "do you want a pint? go on. why? look mrs. doyle doesn't take over my shift for another 2 hours, so make it easier on me and let me buy you a pint now".

Will probably try again though. I find lager makes me really tired, and I certainly don't want to change over completely to shots/sugar drinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I gave up about three years ago (about when I started on boards ;)).

its been good to get aall the mixed opionions, all very honest also, i have been invited to a party in dec and am a bit worried about going to tell u the truth as it will be a big ppiss up, anyway most of u agree with what i feel also, that it is the right decisoin, giving up is hard socially but i also have a small child so i dont go out that often anyway, great excuse actually, and i like stayin in with her anyway, i am in counselling for the issue, its just hard to turn around after years of denial and admit that yes i have a problem , an addiction that was runing my life, i had lost control over everythin when i drank and had some very scary stuff happenin to me so i am glad that the realisation happened and also that i discovered netting to keep me in line with those of u who know what s like.
    so ta,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

This post came at the right time!

This is my first weekend trying to quit and I think I will be able to do it, and just like someone said above after the first 2 or 3 weeks it doesnt even become an issue so i'm hopeful.

Im not sure how it will effect my social life...If i go out i would certainly be more dry than i usually but I will just keep thinking of how attractive my bank balance will be in comparison to the others.

PS- Everyone who is trying to quit throw up a weekly post to keep an eye on progress.

Good luck!

that will be great if all of us who are off it keep everyone posted on how its going, specially if we go out and stuff, so keep them comin and it will help loads to keep in touch with others who are in the same boat
    nice one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭ur mentor

u guys are great and nearly have me in tears
    to know yourself so well and be able to call the story- way beyond your years
    like watching mcgowan of the pogues earlier
    so great a talent can barely stand or talk- so slurrier

yet you guys support each other and reach out
    keep it up, really if you need it... shout

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

If you need to give it up, then so be it.

Otherwise, MODERATION MODERATION . . . . . . . MODERATORS!!!!! :p

I like drinking at home with friends so I dont give hard earned cash to greedy publican B**trds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

Update:

One weekend down lot's more to go, it was very temptin to just give in and have a few but i didnt, even today i spent 3 hours in the pub and just drank coke at one stage i was like ah i'll just have one but i didnt and im happy i didnt. I have so much more money this week aswell its great.

How about others?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

This is such a socially and economically important issue. It really warrants its own forum.

I do not know if people are aware of the fact that ' Alcoholics Anonymous' has more members, than any other self help group in the world.

I am surprised that Boards.ie has not already got an ' Alcohol forum'. Can I suggest that someone proposes the idea on the Admins, Suggestions/Feedback forum.

It could easily prove to be a lifesaver for some, and of immense benefit/support to very many others. Particularly, at this time of year.

P.:ninja:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Fair play liz, and stick with it, you'll feel better for it in the end.
    Keep it up :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

This is indeed one of the better threads in recent past....well just in my opinion :)

I'm also thinking of giving this drinking melarky a miss for a while anyway. Alcoholism runs in the family and the way i've been going over the past couple of years i think it might be an idea to quit the scene for a while.

Another completely unrelated factor ;) is that i'm a student again and have no income...i know all together now!!

The last 18months just gone i spent as a programmer. It was a student placment and therefore i was working on a team filled with students. Add to the mix that the company i worked for was the highest paying stident placemnt company then you had a team full of lads students with quite a lot of money to burn. Well i don't like to think back and remeber the amount of cash i pissed up against some publicans wall. its kinda **** to think about it....i worked for that long and came away with not much at all, really just some diving gear and a holiday.

To be honest i can't really see myself cutting out the beer completely, but i think a major rethink of the way i'm trotting along in life is on the cards. OTherwise when i go for that mortgage the bank manager might just laugh me out of his/her office.

great idea about suggestin to admin for a listing of its own, it really does help and could save a lot of people, i find it great to sign in here and see how others are doin and get support and stuff, i would never be one of those non drinkers who hates all drinkers and pubs ect, it just dosent work for me , just want to make that clear incase any one may stumble upon this and think (oh god, how dry) anyway u all are great help to me anyway and i will be gettin in touch with admin about settin aside an area related to this exclusively, i think it will be put to good use, i didnt drink either this weekend and im thrilled about it, god knows what could have happended if i did, i have too much to loose and i like waking up in the mornin with my self esteem and no hangover, so cheers to all of u who stay in touch and keep it comin

Advertisement