Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Reporting dangerous driving

Options
  • 19-11-2003 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭

Can someone tell me how this works?
    If you witness something and report it to the Gardai, what happens next?

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

You are expected to agree to be a witness in any prosecution.

I gave my name once as a witness to a RTA. I was pestered for months afterwards by the insurers and solicitors of one of the parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Apparently, with the new 'TrafficWatch' scheme, Gardai usually just call to the offending drivers' house and warn him/her (unless the offence is very serious).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭tinofapples

In other words , .............................. a waste of time !!

I saw some clown driving around town (Galway) last night in a white Mits Lancer , he looked either stoned or pi**ed and drove the sh1te outta the car up Eglington Street. He had "Respekt" and "Love" written the sides of the car , he was a krusty .

I was tempted to call the cops cause I could just picture this flute hitting someone's parked car and driving off but thought to myself "Why bother ? What'll be done about it "

Ironically 5 minutes later the cops came out from Mary St , maybe they had been tipped off by someone else !!

If everyone was to report wreckless driving the cops couldn't respond to all the calls and then the calls would be just ignored.

There should be special cops assigned only to the roads but alas we haven't got the resources here !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

We have got the resources, they're just being squandered on benchmarking civil servants, Red Cow Roundabout, __________________________ X (take your pick and enter it here)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

Originally posted by parsi
    You are expected to agree to be a witness in any prosecution.

I gave my name once as a witness to a RTA. I was pestered for months afterwards by the insurers and solicitors of one of the parties.
    your better off just blowing them out of it with your horn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

i wouldnt mind reporting the bastard that nearly killed me not half an hour ago driving round a corner on the wrong side of the road. Rotten git.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

I'ts not a waste of time.

/me hangs head.

I was reported for some incredibly dumb overtaking a few years ago and got reprted for it.

I can tell you seeing a pair of flashy lights in the mirror is no great fun.

Taught me a lesson and copped me on a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

If fairness, I had a drunk driver nearly hit me last year in santry.
    I called the cops while following him and they got him.
    Was delighted he was in no fit state to drive a car. Theres no circumstance or excuse can be used for a drunk driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

Originally posted by Lawdie
    Was delighted he was in no fit state to drive a car. Theres no circumstance or excuse can be used for a drunk driver.
    yeah its the thing i hate most about drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Originally posted by Lawdie

i'd say about 80% of the population do it though, mostly middled age or older men ya see driving around drunk around here anyway, and they get away with it every night of the week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If it's a commercial vehicle, it's worthwhile making a call to his boss. Did that once to a I guy who overtook me (i.e. he was on the wrong side of the road) as I was turning right. Idiot nearly hit two oncoming cars aswell.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I would suspect that if you want to report someone performed a dangerous manouvre near you then it would be your word against theirs and there is sweet FA the gardai can do (even if they wanted). The driver can even claim that they were at home all day that day and you can't prove otherwise! - its not worth the expense of the phone call!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Originally posted by Victor
    If it's a commercial vehicle, it's worthwhile making a call to his boss. Did that once to a I guy

This won't always work, as sometimes the boss borrows the company van, as happened recently. Irate woman rang our office, got through to the boss who promptly told her to F-off. :D

But in general I'd agree

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Originally posted by kbannon
    The driver can even claim that they were at home all day that day and you can't prove otherwise! - its not worth the expense of the phone call!

Yet again speaking only from my limited and unfortunately negative experience.....

When I was reported their was a guard parked fifteen minutes down the road, waiting to pull out after me. I'd have had some job telling the guard that I hadn't come that way.

I realise that there are lots of people out there that will tell a guard black is white, so maybe it's just me. but I think this report a driver scheme does work.

Advertisement