Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kazaa question

• 19-11-2003 10:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭

im on a small lan in work (bout 4 pc's connected through hub no server) and was wondering is there any way my boss could see what i download through kazaa? without actually coming over and finding the files on my local machine like?

its nothing bad btw just movies etc :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

How is the LAN connected to the net?

Hub connected directly to net is extremely unlikely......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Originally posted by seamus
    How is the LAN connected to the net?

Hub connected directly to net is extremely unlikely......

sorry i was unclear. its a 4 port DSL router

Is it purely a router or, more likely, does it perform NAT, firewalling, DHCP, etc etc?

If it's the latter, then yes, it is wholly possible to monitor your internet activity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I doubt very much that if there is only 4 people on one DSL router that your boss has a fully-fledged firewall with reporting, URL filtering & bandwidth management
    If it is a firewall he would be able to see that the ports Kazaa uses are open and in use but without some know-how, he wouldn't be able to tell what exactly you're downloading.

Originally posted by seamus
    Is it purely a router or, more likely, does it perform NAT, firewalling, DHCP, etc etc?

If it's the latter, then yes, it is wholly possible to monitor your internet activity.

well its definitely a firewall, i know that. not sure about NAT or DHCP.

the modem is a netopia form eircom.

the router is an SMC BARRICADE smc7004vbr.

what sort of info will he be able to see, the size of files downloaded, or actual filenames etc.

• Advertisement

basically the deal is my boss has been away for a week or so an im a bit nervous that when he comes back ill get a bollocking

like ive cleared all the stuff off my machine, uninstalled kazaa. etc. no prob on my machine. i can access the admin acc on his machine aswell so how would i view what he can view. i preume theres a program for it or is it just a log file somewhere?

if the DSL router has a firewall then it probably has a web interface on it. Most of them do.
    Go to a web browser and type [url]http://[/url] and then the IP address of the DSL router.
    But, it won't be keeping a record like
    "skywalker downloaded a movie called 'Big Tit Riders' yesterday on Kazaa"

k this is gonna sound really noobish but how do i find out the routers ip address

on your own system, go to start run and type
    cmd
    press return
    at the prompt type
    ipconfig /all
    You DSL router is most likely to be Gateway and the DHCP server address.

Type ipconfig at the command prompt.

The default gateway is more than likely the router.

The SMC BARRICADE does NAT and firewall. It probably does store some info, but as Kananga said, some of the more advanced things it probably doesn't do.

If your boss is technologically-minded, or gives a **** about things such as how much you've been online etc etc, he may check the logs....

• Advertisement

cheers kananga. got as far as a logon screen. tryed a couple of his usual passwords but no joy. will it record unsuccussful logons?

would u have to really go out of your way to notice the downloads on the log screen or would they be immediately visible?

heres the screen i get when i log in. any ideas where i should be looking?

I'd be 99.9% sure that you're safe and I really doubt it records unsuccessful logons. Really.
    He would have to be logging all connections and probably exporting them to a server somwhere. Firewall logs are just lines of text for each and every connection so there would be THOUSANDS of them for him to scroll though.
    I really don't think so unless he's spent a few grand on some firewall reporting software.

thanks man thats just what i wanted to hear. my mind is now pretty much at rest.

many thanks to kananga & seamus for replying :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Anyone on your LAN could sniff your traffic and watch what you're downloading pretty easily if they really wanted to. But unless your boss was specifically looking out for it (did he leave one pc running and locked?), you should be fine.

Originally posted by MrPinK
    Anyone on your LAN could sniff your traffic and watch what you're downloading pretty easily if they really wanted to. But unless your boss was specifically looking out for it (did he leave one pc running and locked?), you should be fine.

no i doubt he'd be specifically looking for it. how do you sniff someones traffic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by skywalker
    no i doubt he'd be specifically looking for it. how do you sniff someones traffic

Ahem can of worms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Originally posted by skywalker
    You download a sniffer and leave it running on some computer on the LAN. Not a lot you can do now if he did. It's far far more effort than most ppl would go to tho.

I really wouldn't worry about it.
    You'd want to be a convicted kiddle fiddler for you boss to be worrying THAT much!
    Plus you need a fair amount of technical knowledge to know what you're looking at.

Advertisement