Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freezing cursor (or OS) - how can I diagnose?

Options
  • 19-11-2003 11:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

My cursor (or is Windows ME itself?) is developing the habit of freezing for no apparent reason. The only way to resolve it is to "ctrl alt del" out of whatever I'm running (normally just word, outlook and mozilla and background stuff like Norton) and restart the machine.

This always works but without kicking up any error messages or anything. So each time I'm no closer to discovering the root of the problem.

Its wierd 'cos I've nothing new installed recently and have been using this machine for years but this problem has only popped up in the last 2 weeks.

Any tips about how I can start to diagnose and resolve?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

vinny..

shut down all processes from running from boot

start->run->msconfig

and use ur system as normal and see does the problem continue..

if so this eliminates applications as cause

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

and change your os to XP if you have the opportunity. ME has issues.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

see the stickies for the usual spyware blockers.
    check for viruses

try it in safe mode (F8 at startup for menu)

Regclean

wintop (hidden on the win98 cd) is a wee bit like task manager - or msinfo if you have office will list most running apps..

Re Changing to XP - you can put a win98 HDD in almost machines and after a fit of "Found new Hardware" you will get to the desktop (though it might be VGA till you get updated drivers ) - Whereas NT / 2K / XP will usually blue screen..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Is it a USB mouse??? maybe the drivers are acting up:p, which means you mat need to get a PS/2 <=> USB adapter and go back to the 80's PS/2...Bah! it works all this new fangled tech.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    Is it a USB mouse??? maybe the drivers are acting up:p, which means you mat need to get a PS/2 <=> USB adapter and go back to the 80's PS/2...Bah! it works all this new fangled tech.

I used to HATE PS/2 mice when they first appeared - if the mouse was not connected at startup or if you unplugged it or it came loose - you had to reboot to see it again (real pain on servers)

Bring back Serial Mice !

• Advertisement
Advertisement