Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pc building question

Options
  • 19-11-2003 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭

This is most likely the wrong forum,for that i apoligise feel free to move it to the correct one i couldnt find one that suited my question.

I want to build a pc,now i have all the normal stuff floppy/cd writer/cables etc

Now there is a generic case(so it appears) knocking about the house,i'll need a new hard drive/mobo/cpu.Now im wondering what spec the case could hold without it overheating,it was from a pc given to me and it overheated.If it's an help the fan on the mobo was "amd 40628784" and the power supply in the case was a "macron power switching supply,model mdt-a230w"

Also any good sites for cheap parts ? i have 500 euro to spend and thats including having to buy a monitor either first or 2nd hand

Again i apologise i am sick:(

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Could go in Technology or Tweaking. You'll prolly get a better answer in Tweaking. Enter my Tardis.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Well Elara are selling a nice Sonata case for 136 Euro that may strike you as expensive but it comes with a good PSU your one would not be good enough for a new computer you will need more then 230W!.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭ronano

Aww nuts and theres me thinking i wouldnt have to buy a scarf for the winter

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I know what you mean!:D, but the thing is it depends on what hardware your putting in if it's resonably new stuff you will need the extra power. If you care for the old noise you may appreciate the Sonata as it's meant to be designed with quiet in mind; it's meant to be OK at that. Thing is you need everything else to be quiet!, otherwise your wasteing your time. What kinda screen are you looking for???LCD or CRT???.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Fabre

I discovered this one recently http://www.pc-look.com

They have plenty of nice cases at very decent price, they are based in france but do deliver Ireland.
    They are very helpfull, I have placed an order with them for some 80mm papst NGML fans and a zalman passive cooler for my video and some other stuffed and it shipped the same day.

And like OfflerCrocGod said 230W is not enough these days, 300W is a minimum depending on your cpu memory graphic card hard drives.

My advice would be to get a case without a psu and get a silent psu like a fortron.
    If your 230W psu is enough for your system you can change the fan to make it quietter, that will be the use of the papst I have ordered.
    But that's me speaking I am very noise concerned =)

Regarding heat add a fan to blow air in the case and depending on the case you choose put another one in extraction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Originally posted by ronano
    This is most likely the wrong forum,for that i apoligise feel free to move it to the correct one i couldnt find one that suited my question.

I want to build a pc,now i have all the normal stuff floppy/cd writer/cables etc

Now there is a generic case(so it appears) knocking about the house,i'll need a new hard drive/mobo/cpu.Now im wondering what spec the case could hold without it overheating,it was from a pc given to me and it overheated.If it's an help the fan on the mobo was "amd 40628784" and the power supply in the case was a "macron power switching supply,model mdt-a230w"

Also any good sites for cheap parts ? i have 500 euro to spend and thats including having to buy a monitor either first or 2nd hand

Again i apologise i am sick:(
    You could prbably just pick up another supply. Also check out http://www.discount-computers-ni.co.uk/home.php they have some cheap cases/psus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭ronano

Any suggestions of a mobo/hard drive etc within my price range? and thanks for the help but you know i'd want to be spending as lil as possible and possibly sell the thing in 6 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Dancing_Priest

Hey
    go to komplett , the motherboard section and then inot the bundles , you should be able to find something good there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭dazberry

Originally posted by ronano

Depending on the case itself it may not be really suitable for newer processors - regardless of the PSU.

Check that the current PSU does not overhang the motherboard, i.e. you can open the case and see where the CPU goes without having to remove the PSU. If you can't I'd recommend a new case because heat will get trapped under the PSU (I've an XP2400+ here with that problem - and loads of fans trying to route air around the case - guess I should just get a new case but I like the old one :().

Again depending on what you put in there, you may be able to get away with the 230w PSU (if its decent). I've 2 slim-line aluminium m-atx cases (low profile) and one has a Duron 1100 and the other an XP2000+. Both run off 200w PSUs, but they don't have much in them and I'd imagine the XP2000+ is really pushing the 200w to the limit <famous last works>. 300w PSU is standard, so if you go for any Athlon or P4, go at least 300w. If you've loads of cards and/or drives maybe go a bit higher.

D.

Advertisement