Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommend a fish?

• 19-11-2003 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

might cook me some fish tonite so anyone any suggestions on what to cook?

i was thinkin trout(2 of em?) and have it with noodles mayb.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Beëlzebooze

I grilled some swordfish recently, it was really yummy! (marinated in terriyaki sauce first!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

A darn of fresh salmon baked.
    Served on a bed of Tagetelle (spelling!) with a White Wine Sauce!
    Had it last night.
    Lovely.

(For white wine sc:
    1. Fry off some onions in Oil/Butter. Don't allow them to burn
    2. Remove the onions and add chicken stock cube.
    3. Add decent amount of White Wine and reduce over a high heat
    4. when reduced add in your cream and allow to simmer.

Make sure you get rid of any grease before you add the cream or it will be a disaster!

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

thanx for suggestions but I dont like salmon and there is no swordfish at the fish shop!! i was now thinking of gettin a fillet of Hoki. should i just fry it or is there a simple sauce i could add to it? sauce for noodles also?

believe it or not but I got the sword fish at tesco's. They have a fresh fish counter here in Ennis.

btw, Tuna steaks are nice too. they are nothing like the tuna you get in cans, it's more like meat than fish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

nemo :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭catspring

herring is lovely, especially if you dip it in egg and then oats and fry it. it tastes very fishy (i don't mean dodgy), i know that sounds stupid coz it's fish, but it really does
    mmmmm..... :)

Originally posted by woosaysdan
    nemo :D

that's just plain nasty ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Originally posted by Beëlzebooze
    I grilled some swordfish recently, it was really yummy! (marinated in terriyaki sauce first!)

If you've ever read "KITCHEN CONFIDENTIAL" Anthony Bourdain, you'd know never to eat swordfish :D;)

ehh why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Because of the huge parasitic worms he used to pick out of them before he cooked them!
    I dunno, I'd probably still eat it anyway, as long as all the parasites were gone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

tempura lemon sole

Originally posted by Beëlzebooze
    that's just plain nasty ;)

I wonder, does Nemo have huge parasitic worms?

i'd doubt that now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭DriftingRain

NEMO!!! Well I never...

Try a nice Flounder or Grouper if your looking for a saltwter fish. Both are nice grilled/baked with lemon pepper. Both are also an all white meat fish so good on the heart and body. Best served with a side salad and a baked potatoe!!!

~DR~

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Sea trout is so under-rated and an absolute bargain.

Bake in tin foil in the oven 20 minutes with wine and butter - simple as that - gorgeous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

can't beat a good fish pie.

bit of smoked haddock,cod and or whatever else you can get cut into strips. some onion and maybe mushrooms if you're a funghi fan like me. butter, cream and some salt and pepper, and cover with mash. try and make sure it's not too juicy or it'll be swimming by the time it's cooked.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Had monkfish for the first time last night, it was very like chicken. Tasted fairly similar, was quite similar texture wise (didnt fall apart like most fish, slightly rubbery)... not bad.

Mackerel, now there's a tasty fish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Verdammt

Gold, not much meat, but they're cheap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Whole mackarel, cleaned. line the cavity with some mustard, into a baking tray, cover with tinfoil and cook in the oven. Mackarel is sa hugely under-used fish.

Tuna or swordfish steaks are also great, very meaty and can be cooked rare if that's what you like

• Advertisement
Advertisement