Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving phone line

Options
  • 19-11-2003 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hello,

I need to move the main connection into my building. EIRCOM said that any electrician can do it, or I can get them to do it. Does anyone have any advice on doing it myself. or is it a bit hazardous to disconnect the external connection to the EIRCOM box and connect a longer external cable to reach the new position?

Thanks!
    M.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

ISDN is a tad hazardous but a normal phone line is fine , you only need to connect 2 wires per phone line (1 pair) .

Do not leave any joins between cables exposed to the elements and remember Ireland is windy.

100M of Phone Cable (2 pairs ) on a drum costs €10 in any electrical wholesaler and is weatherproof. Yes, the wires look really really thin but you wil be grand. Do not run near High Discharge lights like yard lights (keep 10ft away at least)

M

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭The Mooche

That sounds like good advice. There's ADSL enabled on the line, but I suppose that doesn't pose any problems. Any advice on dealing with the EIRCOM box on the street? Anything I should watch out for? Didn't realise any phone cable would do - doesn't have to be external stuff?

Thanks for your help. Prefer doing these things myself, but was a bit wary of going anywhere near the EIRCOM equipment.

M.

Eircom is responsible for the wiring as far as the first socket inside your house.

Eircom is (jury still out) responsible for the first socket ITSELF. It must have dialtone .

After that its your baby. Even though you propose to start off at that socket and to put a wire outside the buildiing to get to another building on your premises it is all 'internal' wiring in Eircom speak, internal means wiring on YOUR side of that one Eircom socket, not as in 'inside' a premises.

Running a 100 foot extension is not that big a deal, ADSL is supposed to work at 10,000 or more feet from an exchange so 100 foot is a 1% extension of that run.

Hope thats clear enough. ?

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭an_taoiseach

"Any advice on dealing with the EIRCOM box on the street?"

WTF ?

Muck is correct !

If Eircom are trying to tell you that you have to cable out to their duct then have none of it.

( If you have to do outdoor cabling or run cable in a duct use waterproof 'poly/poly' cable )

AN T

Aha - I'm actually starting fresh from the EIRCOM box, as the line going into the building has to be completely moved because of a lot of building work going on outside. So I suppose I had better get EIRCOM out and pay again (they mentioned a call-out charge, etc). If it weren't for the ADSL (from Netsource) I'd just get a new line in. Thanks for the advice though. Looks like I'll be without the line for another few weeks until they get back to me.

• Advertisement

Hello again,

Posted this thread quite a while ago, and that was already several weeks after I lost access to my line (the entry point into the building is no longer into my flat, but need to keep the line because of broadband, which was why I had the line installed).

Eircom say that they can't give me a date when the engineer will come and do the work, so I'm left paying line rental plus 120/month to Netsource for services I can't use (for over a month and a half now).

I can access the EIRCOM junction box in the street, and am quite willing to do the work myself if necessary, but need to know whether it's a simple case of wiring a longer cable (needs to be about 15m instead of 5m) to the connectors, what colour wires go where (and does it matter which (orange or white) connects to the L1 and L2 points in the interior box (and whether I can damage things on my side or their side if I do anything wrong), is there a current going through anywhere, is it possible for me to cause problems to the phone system for the area, etc. ???

I'm beginning to think that it will be after Christmas before EIRCOM make their way out, and this is causing me real problems.

So I need as much advice as I can get...

Thanks!?!

M.

You are in a bureaucratic bind here as a builder fecked up the Eircom installation from the sound of it so it is not Eircoms 'fault' really.

The easy solution is a €50 bung to the local Eircom engineer and act as his mate for the job, should take less than an hour between ye and the result should be clean. Ring your local exchange to get his name and mobie number.

The messier one is to open the Eircom box, bodge the job any way you want to get those 2 wires plugged in at their end and at yours. Phone cable costs €10 for 100m in an electrical wholesaler. Use an ESB Meter cupboard key if you have to to open the Eircom box. Use a crowbar if you really must. . If it looks crap, ring up at your leisure and say the builder did it :D and can they fix it for ya.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Muck, I cannot believe you of all people are recommending this! Sure, bung the engineer 50 quid and have him it out, but suggesting this guy crowbars open the eircom box? Not only is that criminal damage, it's also trespass on eircom's equipment. Ludicrous!

The EIRCOM box was open outside according to the builders and they closed it, so it may be easy enough to open it. I assume I can't do any damage to it (or myself)? Might try and contact the engineer. Should have kept his number from when he installed it. Hate not doing the work myself, as I'm used to getting stuff done, but am wary of touching EIRCOM's equipment, and still worried about messing anything up (although neither of you have mentioned any potential complications, so I suppose it must be straightforward).

Thanks for the help.

Advertisement