Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unknown program trying to automatically connect

Options
  • 19-11-2003 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

(Dunno if this is the right place for it, move if not)

I installed the latest Geforce drivers for win98 (45.23) on meh machine last week.
    Ever since i rebooted my puter something has been trying to connect to the net automatically. I have my dialler set to automatically connect so that when downloading large files over my IOL Anytime connection and the auto disconnect occurs it will automatically rediall and continue downloading.

I've run ad-aware and spybot search and destroy and removed everything they found that i couldn't account for but its still happening!!!

any ideas??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Same thing happened to me last week.....Computer would try to connect to net, couldn't see what might be doing it.

Sunday I discovered a virus called "Naldem" I think. McAfee picked it up. Check to see if a file called DiVX.exe has been installed in c:\windows. It also modifies the registry so that the program loads when Windows starts. Its a trojan and attempts to send data from your pc to another website (hence the constant dialing out)

Current version of McAfee will kill it.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

Most of what I said here should be useful - http://muppet.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&postid=1197883#post1197883

Hijack this would definitely be a good thing if you know what should and shouldn't be there

Also you could do with a virus-scan, try AVG - it's free

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

a virus eh? just after remembering i didnt reinstall the anti virus software since the last reinstall of win98. doh! no wonder it didnt pick it up :rolleyes: thats what ye get i suppose.

Cheers!

Advertisement