Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

that's it

• 19-11-2003 5:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

i will NEVER EVER touch a computer's insides again!

i got sooo pissed!

i got Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound, and applied it to the cpu, now the system is beeping and won't turn on, guess what died? yep a CPU, and i was using a wrist strap, and was doing a very careful job, some people are just born without talent towards computers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Why were you applying artic silver compound to the CPU again?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

it's a thermal paste that reduces the temp of the cpu by about 5-10 degrees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

10 degrees?! haha i doubt it, did you clean off the old paste first (think that why he asking AGAIN) ? How much ya slap on? Differences between pastes last time I checked was 5 at the very very most if they all applied correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

are you sure that the heatsink was nice and tight after you applied the paste??

Gideon - read here
    click
    did you clean off the old paste first

Yep! with an aceton
    are you sure that the heatsink was nice and tight after you applied the paste??

oh yes! i triple checked it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

yeah i also felt like this recently. i got thermal paste everyware but by some miracle the pc's fine...

hahah, the rule of butterbrot(no matter how you drop it, it always falls on the butter), i was very careful and i blew it, but phef... God Bless DELL! and his warrenty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Originally posted by CyberGhost

i got sooo pissed!

I think that was your first mistake. I never open my PC unless I am at least a little bit sober. I hope you have learnt a valuable lesson.
    and don't own a car

i got pissed after i killed the cpu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

cyberghost where u buy the acetone?

• Advertisement

i don't know it my mother's

are you asking because you want to buy it(cause i'll ask her where she bought it) or because of some other reason?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Paste conducts heat better than air but worse then metal so you only need enought to fill in the microsocpic air gaps between the cpu and the heatsink (both are flat)

Nail varnish remover is about 99% Acetone, or get it at a family run pharmacy.. Acetone is nasty - if you spill it on your skin it soaks into your blood carrying anything dissolved in it into your bloodstream..

Originally posted by CyberGhost
    i don't know it my mother's

are you asking because you want to buy it(cause i'll ask her where she bought it) or because of some other reason?

i want to buy it

i was told that nailvarnish remover was bad to use cos it's perfumed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

How do you know it's the CPU? is it an Athlon/Pentium?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

You might have damaged the core when you were putting the heatsink on ? :(

That is the part I fear most about building PC's *shudder*

nope the core was ok!

and heat sink mounts very easy in Dell's so... no problems there

i think i found the problem

1. i did it wrong! i checked on AS's website there is a manual on how to do it, of course in an excitment i didn't read it throughoutly, i shouldn't have applied it to the heat sink, i used only a little drop of AS5 as the website suggested but i shouldn't have spreaded it allover the cpu's heatspreader! i should just have installed the heatsink on it, with no manual spreading using creadit cards or floppy latches

2. i was doing the job on bed with a silk on it, and it sometimes causes micro electro shocks(if i'm right), even thought i had the wrist band on

so when i get it from Dell i'm gonna try it again, on the table and following the manual, if it burns ah what a heck i'm gonna call Dell again :) for the last time though i don't want to abuse them much

Advertisement