Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

slow dialup connection speed

Options
  • 19-11-2003 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

I had a lot of noise on my phone line after the lightning a few weeks ago.
    Eircom eventually came out and 'fixed' it.
    Ever since then, my connection speed is really slow, so I called them and another engineer came out today.
    He ran tests on the line, both to the phone and to the PC. He said that he couldn't find a fault with the line, that the fault must be with the PC.
    So I've downloaded new modem drivers, BIOS etc. to try and fix the problem. No luck.

Anyone got any advice/ideas what the problem might be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

How slow is slow? ... can you borrow a modem from someone else to check (your own modem might be fecked) ... Ideally you should try to borrow a USB one, but a serial modem is also handy, I'd be slow to insert a PCI or ISA modem if your PC is damaged it may be affected (very small chance but not beyond the realms of possibility) ...

• Registered Users Posts: 29 santo

I used to be able to connect at around 45k. Now it's around 28k.
    Does it sound like the modem is knackered? I thought that if it was finished, it wouldn't work at all.
    I'm using a laptop, so a PCI modem isn't an option. I had a look on Dabs.com for a USB one. They're only around €30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

sounds like they pairgained you TBH, ring em up and tell them the line has an echo and that they should fix it agin...properly

M

I don't think it would do any good getting them out again Muck. It could also prove to be costly. As it is, they said when I called them the second time that they would charge me 50 odd Euro if they couldn't find a fault.
    Chances are, another primate will arrive and I'll be told the same thing and have to cough up for the privilege.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

echos are impossible to prove 'not' so it would be free.

M

• Advertisement

Thanks Muck. I think I'll try an external modem first to be on the safe side.
    Can anyone recommend which one to go for? What are the differences between them, if any?

Advertisement