Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Championship

Options
  • 19-11-2003 7:58pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The UK Championship has started this week. (The TV stages don't start until saturday though on BBC 2)

I'll be down the bookies tomorrow to put a few quid on John Higgins anyway. ;):D

Who do yez think will win?

Who'll win the 2003 UK Championship ? 18 votes

Ronnie O'Sullivan
    0% 0 votes
    Stephen Hendry
    27% 5 votes
    John Higgins
    16% 3 votes
    Mark Williams
    16% 3 votes
    Paul Hunter
    22% 4 votes
    Ken Doherty
    0% 0 votes
    Matthew Stevens
    5% 1 vote
    Peter Ebdon
    11% 2 votes
    Stephen Lee
    0% 0 votes
    Other (Please state who)
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Higgins defo wont win it

Me reckons Williams is in with a very good shout to win it but when he wins it will be very close

I know one things for certain Lee don't stand a chance and you can gaurentee thats a dead cert and if he does I'll eat my cue and you can hold me to that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Well Doherty is out already. Bad start to the season for him, he got beaten 9-7 by Nigel Bond.

today's results/scores:

Ken Doherty 7-9 Nigel Bond
    Paul Hunter 9-7 Stephen Maguire
    Peter Ebdon 9-2 Stuart Bingham
    Stephen Lee 9-5 Dave Harold
    Joe Perry 9-6 Tony Drago
    David Gray 8-9 Mark A King
    Quinten Hann 9-8 Chris Small
    Graeme Dott 6- 9 Barry Pinches (nice win for the qualifier, this fella beat Fu 9-1 in round 1. Get ready for a suprise contender, he plays Lee in the next round)

Fergal O'Brein will play Mark Williams in round 2, that must be the furthest O'Brein has gotten in a good while.

Here's the rest of the round 2 matches to be played:

Mark Williams -v- Fregal O'Brein
    Jimmy White -v- Drew Henry
    Mattew Stevens -v- Gerard Greene
    John Higgins -v- James Wattana
    Ronnie O'Sullivan -v- Ian McCulloch
    Alan McManus -v- Dominic Dale
    Steve Davis -v- Ali Carter
    Steven Hendry -v- John Parrot

After all these matches and the third round I can see the Quarter Finals being something like this:

Williams -v- Bond
    Hunter -v- Higgins
    O'Sullivan -v- Ebdon
    Lee/ Pinches (haven't seen Pinches play to decide) -v- Hendry

Semi's prediction (although it probably won't turn out this way as there has to be a few upsets and there is never 4 top players in the semi's):
    Williams -v- Higgins
    O'Sullivan -v- Hendry (revenge on the cards for O'Sullivan)

Final:
    Williams/Higgins -v- O'Sullivan

Whoever Ronnie plays in the final, if he gets that far, I can't see him been beaten.

Here are the best odds for each player:

Williams 3/1
    O' Sullivan 4/1
    Higgins 5/1
    Hendry 9/1
    Hunter 10/1
    Stevens 14/1
    Ebdon 33/1
    Lee 33/1
    Carter 100/1
    David Gray 150/1
    Hann 150/1
    White 150/1
    Steve Davis 200/1

cant see Ronnie in the final I'm afraid just call it a gut feeling but I think he will one of the aforementioned suprise upsets

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Williams OUT!

Our boy Fergal has beaten him tonight 9-7 in a bit of a scrappy match TBH. Very well deserved though.

Saturdays Results:
    Fergal O'Brien 9-7 Mark Williams
    Stephen Hendry 9-5 John Parrott

Saturdays Latests: (To be completed on sunday)
    John Higgins 3-5 James Wattana
    Ronnie O'Sullivan 7-1 Ian McCulloch

• Advertisement

thats my tenner down the bleeding drain.

I can see Fergal going far in this tournament. He has Jimmy White next and then the winner in the Bond match. That Barry Pinches fella is 6-2 up over Steven Lee. I am going to put a few quid on Fergal and Pinches to win the tournament. If neither of them win it I can see Ronnie winning it as I said already as Williams and Higgins are already out.

Yeah, pity about Higgins getting knocked out, thats a pony gone down the drain for me. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Smithers

would like to see wattana doing well in this one, apart from the Asian invitation one he bet ken in he hasnt done anything on the circuit lately,

think it would do wonders for his confidence , hes been plugging away for years

Originally posted by Smithers
    would like to see wattana doing well in this one, apart from the Asian invitation one he bet ken in he hasnt done anything on the circuit lately,

think it would do wonders for his confidence , hes been plugging away for years

Yeah, if beating the best doesn't give him confidence, nothing will. I'd like to see him doing well this season.

With all the favourites dropping like flies he might be in with a chance of winning it, likewise with Fergal. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Smithers

ditto - would give wattana and o'brien a great boost in confidence for future tournaments , also always like to see someone coming from the shadows , beating the best and winning deservely, not that all players that win dont deserve it , but sometimes its nice to see a different face receive the cheque

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Well I stuck in an old vote for Doherty :D In case he ever visits this forum and sees that as least he got one vote.

Anyway I'd say O'Sullivan will take it.

OK this aint gonna prove popular with you all (he beat Fergal) but seeing as how my tip was knocked out (see above) i've now changed to rooting for my actual fave player so in short

COME ON JIMMY!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Tupelo

What were the last few frames of the snooker like last night, Iwas happily watching it until the other half decided that there was something better on. How did Hendry loose? He seemed to be doing the better of the two when I was dragged away!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Second last frame and Hendry was approaching a 147 only to miss a tough yellow when on 120.

Final frame and Hendry makes a break of 53 only to miss another yellow and then find himself snookered.
    Rest is history.

There's already a thread here about the UK Championship.

ATTN: Thread Merged

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Big Ears

well done to matthew stevens thourouly deserved his first ranking tournament win.

Advertisement