Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scotland, Wales SCORES!!!

• 19-11-2003 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

Bad news for both Scotland and Wales and unless they can score at least two we will have to watch England enjoy there summer in portugal.

Half times scores:

Wales 0-1 Russia
    Holland 3-0 Scotland

But the biggest shock of all is: as you probably know, Latvia (the team that everyone wanted) beat Turkey 1-0 in the first leg and the second leg today, Turkey were 2-0 up on 64 minutes and Latvia levelled at 2-2 to knock them out of the Championships.
    Croatia and Spain also qualified.

C'mon Wales, Scotland have no chance though.:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

6-0 to holland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

netherlands 6 - 0 now, a true whippin atm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

OMFG. I cant believe that score. 10 minutes to go so Scotland can easily get 5 goals by then.;)

Did Kluivert start? he said that he should play up front on his own cos he can't play with RVN and now RVN gets a hatrick lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

the dutch are playing pure lethal...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

they gota a bollockin after the last game.

great news about latvia, no smelly turks in the European Champs then :)

As much as i'd love both Scotland and Wales to go through, i feel more sorry for the Welsh. They had a hell of a start to the qualifiers winning their first four matches which included Italy and they deserved to qualify just for coming second. But Scotland didn't do as well as Wales in the qualifiers as they drew with the bloody Faroe Islands as well as other bad performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Well dont to Latvia when I saw Turkey go 2-10 up I thought they would hold out for the win but hell a great achievement for the Latvians. I had a feeling Scotland would loose but 6-0.... as for Wales they didnt really threaten at all and Speed missed a great free header. Wales didn't win their last 4 games before the play offs afair?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

First well done to Latvia - they'll get slaughtered next summer though!

As for Wales - terrible. I think Hughes has to take a large part of the blame. The tactics sucked, playing one up made sense in the first leg but none at all tonight. Second he has to take off the suit and get down on the touchline he's only a couple of years off the pitch but you'd never guess. He needs to get down on the same level as his players.

Mike.

ps Savage is a waste of space. and my spelling sucks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

6-0, i thought scotland would get hammered but not that bad. douglas as usual proved he is absolutely useless with the ball in the air. he can be blamed for at least half the goals. i dont know how he's scotland's no.1. he's no longer celtic's no.1 thank god. big fella and usefull for penaltys but just not good enough for anything else.

wales must be sick, so close and they blew it. similar to us, cant handle pressure. hughes is a decent manager though, im sure they'll push for a place in the world cup.

as for turkey-latvia, fair play to latvia for going to istanbul, then coming back from 2-0 down. turkey are a bit over-rated anyway, still a big shock. probably the best team not in the finals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Pity, I was looking forward to seeing both Scotland an Wales in Portugal. Looks like I will have to adopt the English team again so.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Delboy79

The Latvian Beckenbauer Igor Stephanovs will be playing at a major finals - Shock !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Serbian

Originally posted by Delboy79
    The Latvian Beckenbauer Igor Stephanovs will be playing at a major finals - Shock !!
    And there will also be a man called Marion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Quick point. I was firmly behind the Welsh last night, and was really hoping that they could get a result and go to Portugal. That was, until the disgraceful boo-ing of the Russian National Anthem before the game. There is no excuse for that kind of behaviour, what effect did the muppets doing it think it would have on Russia? Spur them on to a better game, of course, and I was delighted they got the chance to stick the two fingers up at the yobs in the crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

:(:(:(

got totally hammered... :(

oh well.... world cup qualifiers soon eh? :p

only going to be the english in portugal, what a sad sad day !

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I thought it was pretty funny that the guy they were booing constantly scored the goal that put them out. Shame though, would have liked to have seen Wales there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Yeah it was pity that Wales didn't make it!! I think Ryan Giggs deserves to play in at least 1 big international tournament!

Did anybody feel that it was like watching Ireland playing instead Wales?? Soooo fustrating!

B.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 201 ✭✭Rodney Trotter

A few observations from this thread.

1. Robbie Savage is a tossert and a complete and utter waste of space. He contributed nothing last night, apart from putting his ponytail right on a few occasions.

2. Ryan Giggs should have put away his chance last night. It must be so frustrating for anyone to play with him as no one, friend or foe, knows what he's going to do next. He's possibly one of the most over-rated players of the last 10 years, considering what he actually scores and what he actually makes.

3. As for the booing? Totally out of order. Just the same as the pseudo-Irish fans who have attached themselves to Celtic and see it their duty to act like morons in Lansdowne Road, whenever they see a Rangers player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭rocco

Yeah it was pity that Wales didn't make it!! I think Ryan Giggs deserves to play in at least 1 big international tournament!

Are you having a laugh Ireland are a far better team than than wales .If you look at both countrys strongest squads there is no comparison .

Giggs performance last night was a joke he was more interested in telling the ref how many times he was fouled than getting his country into the european championships

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

Did anybody feel that it was like watching Ireland playing instead Wales?? Soooo fustrating!

Totally! It was so annoying watching them, yid swear they were only playing a friendly the way they were pottering arround and passing the ball casually. A pity to see them go out though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Yeah, very frustrating watching Wales play... They let Russia play around them too much. Hartson didn't run, nor did Blake. You'd think they would have had a bit of urgency about them in the last ten minutes. They didn't have it in the second half at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

Hartson didn't run

and that surprised you? :p

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by Big Chief
    and that surprised you? :p
    Well, he could have at least rolled.

Originally posted by rocco
    Are you having a laugh Ireland are a far better team than than wales .If you look at both countrys strongest squads there is no comparison .

Giggs performance last night was a joke he was more interested in telling the ref how many times he was fouled than getting his country into the european championships

I never said that Wales were better than Ireland or vice versa for that matter. I was making the point that while watching them last night it reminded me of the Swiss game....No passion, No spirit!!

And as for Giggs, I never said his performance was great last night I was just making the point that for a player to be playing at the level that he does for his club for so many years it's a bit of a pity that he's never had the opportunity to play on the World stage at international level.

B.

I know what you mean about Giggs, but when you see the amount of games - albeit mostly friendlies - that he's missed through niggling injuries, only to recover and play for ManYoo a couple of days later, its hard to feel that sorry for him.

Caimin

Originally posted by caimin
    I know what you mean about Giggs, but when you see the amount of games - albeit mostly friendlies - that he's missed through niggling injuries, only to recover and play for ManYoo a couple of days later, its hard to feel that sorry for him.

Caimin

Yeah, I supose you're prob right there!!!

B.

I know what you mean about Giggs, but when you see the amount of games - albeit mostly friendlies

Surely there should be no need to play established players in every friendly game. The manager is hardly gonna learn anything new from them and would be better served having a look at his options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Qadhafi

I was supporting Holland last night. good to see the dutch did the business. The Scots got a real beating!! Even with their own league and stadia which is far more developed than ours, the scots obviously arent up to much internationally compared to Ireland

Originally posted by The Muppet
    Surely there should be no need to play established players in every friendly game. The manager is hardly gonna learn anything new from them and would be better served having a look at his options.
    This is getting a bit off topic but of course you want every player to turn up to international friendlies. If you were going to put out a completely different 11 for a friendly then you are not going to learn much more than you already knew from watching them at their clubs. You want to see how the debutants play with the main players from the squad. You wouldn't see the likes of Duff, Keane or Cunningham faking injury.

• Advertisement

>You wouldn't see the likes of ... Keane .....faking injury.

Lets not get into all that again

:p

Caimin

>You wouldn't see the likes of ... Keane .....faking injury.

Lets not get into all that again

:p

Caimin
    I meant Robbie, obviously not the other one.

I know but Robbie didn't work for the purposes of the joke.
    It was a comedy misunderstanding, but without the comedy :)

FRIDAY!!!!

Posted By Eireboy
    If you were going to put out a completely different 11 for a friendly then you are not going to learn much more than you already knew from watching them at their clubs.

What do you think Mark Hughes would find out about Ryan Giggs from a friendly that he does not already know?

I think International Managers would be better served playing unestablished players in some firendlies so that when a big match came that the established players were unavailable for he would know what some of the younger players could offer in their roles.

Most of the established players wouldn't play together - the last thing you want in a competitive match is a group of lads who were not used to each other - established or unestablished.. I'd bring maybe two or three through per friendly max.

Originally posted by The Muppet
    What do you think Mark Hughes would find out about Ryan Giggs from a friendly that he does not already know?

I think International Managers would be better served playing unestablished players in some firendlies so that when a big match came that the established players were unavailable for he would know what some of the younger players could offer in their roles.
    You answered the question yourself in another thread:
    Originally posted by The Muppet on the Ireland-v- Canada Thread
    I though the defence was poor the other night, had we been facing on form decent strikers we would have conceded goals. I thought O shea was ok at LB but not very effective when he was moved. Defence should be a unit and chopping and changing does not help, we need to settle on our best back 4 and let them get used to playing together. Dunne has never let us down and has a physique more like Herman Monster tha a Profesional Player.
    You have to let all the players play together in friendlies, you can't just throw them all together in a competitive match.

• Advertisement

Most of the established players wouldn't play together - the last thing you want in a competitive match is a group of lads who were not used to each other - established or unestablished.. I'd bring maybe two or three through per friendly max.
    exactly.

quote:

posted By Eirebioy
    exactly.

Sorry eirboy but again you are not reading the posts correctly. You have just agreed with Caimin who is making the same point as I am but you disagree with me.

Caimen says he would bring in two or three per match. I presume these would be mostly in place of established players (giggs )who the manager knows all there is to know. I did not say that established players should not play any friendlies as
    obviously in some friendlies the manager is going to want to play his best 11 to see how they work as a team.

<Edited to change Caimen back from Carmen but as he/she is new I reserve the right to change it back should the need arise> :D

Just to clarify - I would play them in place of established players, but not the same established playes every game.

Ca*i*min

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Smurfette

The whole point of having friendlies is to see what works and what doesn't so that when you are playing competetive games you know what works ! thats why players like Giggs etc need to be there for all the games so that they are there for the training etc with the other lads and can work on partnerships and teamwork. It's easier then to introduce new players into teams when they aren't thrown into the deep-end when covering for established players

The whole point of having friendlies is to see what works and what doesn't so that when you are playing competetive games you know what works ! thats why players like Giggs etc need to be there for all the games so that they are there for the training etc with the other lads and can work on partnerships and teamwork. It's easier then to introduce new players into teams when they aren't thrown into the deep-end when covering for established players

You are contradicting youself. How can you play the established players in every game and ensure the new players get international experience as well. Top players play enought important games with risking injury etc in meaningless friendlies .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Smurfette

If you read what I sais properly you will see that I said they need to be THERE for all the games not play in all the games .Whats the point of indroducing new players for friendlys etc and have they playing with certain palyers so that when an important game comes they have no experience of playing or having even trained with the more established player .

If you read what I sais properly you will see that I said they need to be THERE for all the games not play in all the games .Whats the point of indroducing new players for friendlys etc and have they playing with certain palyers so that when an important game comes they have no experience of playing or having even trained with the more established player .

FAir enough Ideaaly you may be right but realistically with the amount of games players from the teams with very busy club schedules may be better served having a break . That way when the importans matches come (club & international) they may be fresher and perform better.

Advertisement