Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letter - Move Out by Nov 24 2pm

Options
  • 19-11-2003 10:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭

Got a Letter this morning from the Autioneer on behalf of our landlady today. It read that circumstances had changed in her lifestyle and we had to move out of the gaff by Monday 24th 2pm. The house is to be sold. Can they do this ?? thats what 5 Days Notice !! We have been renting the house for the last three years without a problem. I am working nights so will be sleeping most of tomorrow and friday so cant actually go down to them or another auctioneer to find another gaff !! Screwed aint the word...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

If u pay her monthly its one months notice to quit .

She has the option of paying in full for your new gaff until the 19th of December in lieu of the notice along with your deposit back in full of course. If your new gaff is a hotel then so be it, she did not give sufficient notice. Additionally she must pay for storage for your kit and removal expenses (1 lot).

http://www.threshold.ie/ for hard advice !

Small Claims Court for compo up to €1200 I think if there is any crap, €1200 should pay for the hotel, write the letter offering to move out on those conditions only, she's stuck and you are stuck, way it is. See what your mates think, 4 of ye is €1200 each.

Plan B is to stay and supervise viewing of the house when it suit YOU, not the auctioneer.

Sue the auctioneer for distress as well, separately, acutioneers know the law and have no business "evicting" you if they were not the accomodation agency you paid your rent to all along. €1200 each from that knobend as well.

Ye'll be grand but have a letter delivered by hand to both her and the auctioneering knob tomorrow. The knob wants vacant possesion for a quick sale and is intimidating you . He probably advised her about that.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

Read:

http://www.threshold.ie/faqt4.htm

And tell your landlady to go f*ck herself. Of course, if she wishes to pay you compensation for moving out early, that should be acceptable to you.

You should also mention that you will take a very dim view of her witholding your deposit for *any* reason.

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/housing/renting_a_flat_or_house/if_your_landlord_wants_you_to_leave.html.en

May also reinforce the point for her auctioneer, who should be well aware of the law of the land as it applies. 'Professional misconduct' should prick their ears up too. Find out which professional body they're part of, and ask if they condone this behaviour, and how you go about making a specific complaint.

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/housing/renting_a_flat_or_house/types_of_tenancy.html.en
    is also useful.

Do tell us how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Delboy79

Ye we pay monthly , Thanks Lads for your help .. I ll let you know how i get on.
    Next Point of Call - Accomodation Page in Munster Express

Thanks Again

If you really want to twist the knife, you should wait until Monday before informing her that it does not constitute proper notice, and she will have to re-issue it to you so that you get until Christmas eve in the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

You might want to have a look through this code of conduct for professional auctioneers. Make a complaint.

No member shall do any act (whether in the business of estate agency or otherwise) which:

- (a) involves dishonesty, dishonourable, or deceitful behaviour, or which is unfair to members of the public;

And

Note: A member is responsible for informing himself as to the requirements of the law

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

As the lads say. Just make **absolutely** sure you are in the right.
    Originally posted by zenith
    If you really want to twist the knife, you should wait until Monday before informing her that it does not constitute proper notice, and she will have to re-issue it to you so that you get until Christmas eve in the house.
    I wouldn't go along this route - Equity (a section of law) dictates that if you demand fair treatment you must give fair treatment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

She doesn't really have a leg to stand on.
    Just call the agency (they sent you the letter right) and tell them they haven't given you 4 weeks in writing and tell them to send this out to you.
    Its up to them to tell the landlady then.
    Also ask them NOW if they plan to take any of your deposit, because whatever about landlords keeping deposits agencys are bastards for it. If they tell you NOw you can decide whether this is right or not and get threshhold involved.

I used to deal with an agency and i had several tenants calling me (i always left my number and told the tenant not to tell the agency so i could keep an eye on the agency) telling me that the agency kept their deposit which when i went out there was no need for. Then the agency would charge ME for repairs that weren't even needed.
    Needless to say my suspicions (which i got when i rented myself) about agencies were proved and i dont use them anymore.

Originally posted by Victor
    I wouldn't go along this route - Equity (a section of law) dictates that if you demand fair treatment you must give fair treatment.

Monday seems to be the first day that the tenant could reasonably have consulted with their solicitor/threshold. But, fair enough.

I'd still do the agent, though.

Advertisement