Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Mad Thing with XP Pro and a modem

Options
  • 19-11-2003 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

Was having terrible time trying to install a brand-new US Robotics V92 External 56K Fax Modem. Would install fine (with the exception that XP did not recognise it as Plug'N'Play). But if I kept up the pressure to install, XP gave a warning message that I might destroy the Earth if I persisted in installing an Unsigned Driver. So naturally I chose "go ahead". All would complete cheerfully,, except that the modem would not respond to the "Query Modem" test available from Properties/Diagnostics.

Tried every combination ofdownloaded driver, different similar modem, different PC, different OS. It was confined to this PC only, and this installation of XP only. I hadn't installed the OS, so did not know what options were chosen or rejected. The MS site offered some vague suggestion about XP driver signing problems, which a colleague suggested could be meaningful. I was doubtful, as I had got the warning messages on both XP systems tried, and the modem had worked on the other one. But it was worth a go.

Into the Hardware window of System Properties, Driver Signing, the option is set to "Warn", as I expected and experienced. When I got the warning, I had chosed the "Go ahead Anyway" option, so I could not change any meaningful option here?

Not so. My cynical colleague selected "Ignore", which made the decision earlier, and we re-tested the modem. It responded to the Diagnostics query. Problem sorted. Modem working.

Does not make much sense, but if you're stuck with a stubborn piece of hardware which will not install, take note. This may be worth a try.

Advertisement