Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Password Locked PC

• 20-11-2003 8:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

Guys,
    I have been allowed to take an old PC home from work with the boss' consent. There is nothing illegal going on..!! The problem is, when I got it home and booted it up, it was looking for a password as it must have been connected to the network at work. Is there any way around this so I can start using it myself? It is a Dell Optiplex 1.7MHz P4. That is all I know about the system.

Just to reiterate, the PC was slightly damaged at the front where something hit off it but the internals are perfect, that is why I was allowed to take it home.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

what os is it,
    if its old like win98, just press cancel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭IrishPug106GTi

As far as I know, it is either Windows 2000 Professional or Windows NT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭jim_bob

Any chance of getting that in layman's terms..please

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

I'm afraid if cracking Windows passwords was easy to put in layman's terms, people would be doing it all the time.
    I'd say expect to put a little bit of time and effort into it.

I'm presuming you can't get hold of anybody who knows the password?
    Or if it's old and there's nothing important on it, you could just reformat it.

• Advertisement

Sinecure: There is nothing important on the PC that I want to save. I would prefer to reformat it. How do I do this? I would like to install Windows XP on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

if your feeling lazy, why not get the system recovery disks from dell? Perhaps they have them knocking about in work

run those babies and your back to day one ;)

Ican't get the cd to run as I can't get onto the PC as it is password locked. I tried to get the settings to boot from CD but it was unsuccessful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

are you sure it's not the BIOS/system password?
    If it's the OS password it will have the windows logon screen.
    If it's the BIOS password it will just have a DOS-like screen to enter the password.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

youll have to open the PC, seems you have a BIOS password on the machine.

if you look at the motherboard, you will see a button battery. There should be a jumper near that with 3 pins. Move the jumper onto the other two pins for 15secs and then put it back.

If you cant find the jumper, pull out the battery for about 3mins, replace and reboot.

• Advertisement

Kanaga:
    It's and OS password as it just asks for login name and password and what domain you wish to log on to. It's just a windows screen with a login box.

SouperComputer:
    I will give that trick with the battery a try this evening. Thanks.

Also, how do I reformat the computer?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

If you have the winXP CD stick it in the cd drive boot the machine and at the bios hit F1 or Delete (Whichever key gets you to the BIOS menu) From here select the first Boot device to be your CD rom second to be your HD and then save and exit. The PC should now pick up the XP cd and begin the install. Just select format the drive from within the WinXP installer.

Souper Computer: Tried the battery trick but nothing changed. Left it out for 15 minutes just to make sure.

The OS is definitely Windows NT and I am going to reformat it to XP, so can anyone point me in the direction of the cheapest retailer for XP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Did you take the battery out and remove the power cable? I've heard this needs to be done.

Komplett has one WinXP home left. €109.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

= a bootdisk that will allow you to recover accounts:
    Read the readme on the site. basically:
    put it on a disk or disc
    put in locked machine
    turn the machine on (fluffy pik handcuffs will help)
    it should boot into an ugly black screen; with a menu system: pretty intuitive from there
    reset passwds (if it allows)
    better alternative IMO = throw in an OS CD (esp. windows-they love to wipe everywthing + take over) - boot! (mod BIOS as stated above if required). i'll leave it there-"..using illegal copies... wrong...immoral.. yaddyayah"

ps: you don't need to remove the battery :) that was only if the password appeared just after you started the machine (BIOS)

Advertisement