Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3-5 explosions in Istanbul

Options
  • 20-11-2003 10:40am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

You might wanna check your breaking news feeds. One in or near HSBC headquarters, one near the British embassy, one in a residential area and two others rumoured but not confirmed.

adam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

"Ankara (AFP)--20Nov2003/438 am EST/938 GMT
    Five strong explosions were reported across Istanbul Thursday, one near the
    British consulate and two near offices of the HSBC bank, with at least two
    people killed and others feared dead, Anatolia news agency and Turkey's NTV
    television reported. Part of the British consulate in Istanbul was destroyed
    in one of the explosions, an AFP correspondent on the scene said. "Part of a
    building next to the front gate has completely collapsed. There is debris
    everywhere. Ambulances are arriving," an AFP correspondent said. The blasts
    come only five days after double suicide bombings at synagogues in the city
    killed 25 people and injured more than 300."

turkey is really getting hot now , EU membership could be looking even more unlikely if they develop a real domestic islamic threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

It has now been comfirmed that there was 2 blasts not 5 as thought before.

1 was at the British consulate, the other between the HSBC bank headquaters and a shopping mall.

5 reported dead and 114 reported injured.

Jack Straw has said that 3 people did not report for the roll call at the British consulate.

Source: SKY NEWS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

the usa is next.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by sjones
    the usa is next.

Is that a threat? (joking)

I'd reckon Britian is next, I think they would be an easier target.

I'd say Bush is ****ting it being in England at the moment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

its boggles my mind that they attack a predominately muslum country that had nothing to do with iraq (well for the mo anyway)

like not saying im with the bads guys or anything but attacking the same people people that support u is bad from a strategic point of view!!

saudi arabia i have understand cause of all the es-pats living there but an honest muslim nation like turkey!? i dont know why!!

attack the so called infidels (usa,britian, countries that support them, etc) i thought that was their objective here or maybe im missing something here

maybe its a conspiracy!:confused:

• Advertisement

Reading between the lines, the Al Queda reasoning seems to be to attack all who may go in to be with America in Iraq, even as nuetrals.
    By doing so they will blow up synagogues, banks, U.N buildings, consulates, red cross etc so as to scare them all out.

It appears to be working to an extent.

However their warped logic doesn't allow for the fact that when they are attacking western targets, they out rage the people who are out there protesting against the U.S and British governments approach to Iraq.

They are in effect creating own goals for themselves, but they don't care as they are from what I can see completely mad.
    Their apoligists were looking for recruits in Dublin recently and appeared on the late late show where they were exposed for the sick creatures that they are in my honest opinion.

mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Éomer of Rohan

Quoted from Jank
    its boggles my mind that they attack a predominately muslum country that had nothing to do with iraq (well for the mo anyway)

Turkey has always maintained that it is a secular state and has always proved to be pro-military before anything else (evidenced by the fact that they have the largest army in the Middle East). Turkey continues to support Israel and condemn Syrian terrorists (there was a plan some time back discovered to blow up one of the Attaturk Dam in Turkey before it was realised that this would wipe out most of the remaining fertile soil in Syria with the resultant flood not to mention needing more explosives than flying several Boeings into it could provide).
    Quoted from Jank
    like not saying im with the bads guys or anything but attacking the same people people that support u is bad from a strategic point of view!!

This is a disgraceful comment; you assume support for terrorists because the Turkish population is predominantly Muslim. This is so obviously false it doesn't require further comment.

Originally posted by Éomer of Rohan

This is a disgraceful comment; you assume support for terrorists because the Turkish population is predominantly Muslim. This is so obviously false it doesn't require further comment.

I'd imagine that was just a case of bad wording Éomer.

He probably meant that, killing innocent muslims would make it much more difficult for AlQueda or their factions to draw support to their cause in countries where there is an Islamic majority.

mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭Redleslie

I'm wondering if the attacks were timed to coincide with Bush's visit to the UK or were they flukes or what.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Originally posted by Man
    I'd imagine that was just a case of bad wording Éomer.

He probably meant that, killing innocent muslims would make it much more difficult for AlQueda or their factions to draw support to their cause in countries where there is an Islamic majority.

mm

thats what i ment "sorry"

didnt mean that all turks support terrorists just that they migt be shooting themsleves in the foot that a united muslim nation will come down much more heavy handed than before (like saudi arabia now or seems to be) and this may turn the tide among the population in muslim countries to go against terrorism as before they felt "kinda" sympathetic!!

not making a sweeping statement here just seems more logical go go after target number one
    bush himself or/and usa/uk/israel

thats all im saying then again madmen dont make logical sense:(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

Cruel, part of a deliberate strategy to hurt societies and ultimately only going to divide the world even more. Al Qaeda isn't interested in furthering muslim causes, it's interested in anarchy and power for itself. The opportunity is there for the West to be the 'bigger man' and improve raltions with the muslim world and ensure that Israel takes the heat out of the Palestinian conflict. Take the short term pain for the interests of peace, at least try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

again this is all symptomatic of Imperialist aggression and occupation in the Middle East. The oxygen for al Queda etc is now set to roll on well into the future. For every innocent Palestinian, Afghan and Iraqi killed for Zionism and American unjust imperialistic ambitions, someone somewhere gives way to these organisations. The result from now on is Payback for such actions. I totally abhor Al Quida, Zionism and American Foreign policy but this is the way PNAC and latter like it. In this post Soviet threat world, It sets up a new enemy which equals power in the end. I contacted relatives of mine in Istanbul this morning and they're very worried about the situation. I reckon the Turkish Army will issue an ultimatum to the government this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Latest death toll is 27. I note that posters view these attacks as being specific to matters relating to Iraq.

I would'nt make that assumption in the eyes of the nutters behind this weeks attacks in Turkey the Irish are as much western Infidels as the British, Amercians, Jews
    etc. So who's next I wonder?

Heres the views at the pavement cafe that is indymedia

http://www.indymedia.ie/newswire.php?story_id=62305&PHPSESSID=3d8f6b11a0f6cae8c34beb3e367536e6

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭Redleslie

Originally posted by mike65
    Latest death toll is 27. I note that posters view these attacks as being specific to matters relating to Iraq.

I would'nt make that assumption in the eyes of the nutters behind this weeks attacks in Turkey the Irish are as much western Infidels as the British, Amercians, Jews
    etc.

Yeah, it's pure coincidence that they hit British targets while Bush was visiting his closest ally in the war on terror. Pure coincidence.
    So who's next I wonder?
    The British again probably. Or Bulgaria. Plenty of infidels there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

Just listening to a BBC reporter on 5 live and he saying that he has never experienced hostility from the Turks in Istanbul until now. He says the overwhelming view (although not scientific) is that America and the Uk is to blame for the atrocities directly and indirectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Vader

Originally posted by jank

saudi arabia i have understand cause of all the es-pats living there but an honest muslim nation like turkey!? i dont know why!!

attack the so called infidels (usa,britian, countries that support them, etc) i thought that was their objective here or maybe im missing something here

maybe its a conspiracy!:confused:

Turks are muslim, but their not arabs. Turks are the traditional enemy of arabs. If someone asked me a while ago where other than america or UK would al Queda attack I'd of said turkey.

This is an attack on turkey, not a symbolic attack on britain, IMO. There are lots of reasons to attack turkey. turkish allience with the USA, genocide of the Kurds, pipe lines crisscrossind the middle east, betrayel of the muslum world, traditional enemies.

On another note there was something about that al Queda statement today that diddnt sound too al Quedaish.

And jank, how the #### does your sig do what it does????

Advertisement