Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP freezing when booting

Options
  • 20-11-2003 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭

Hoping that someone may be able to help me here.

Newish laptop - bought july - XP OS, working perfectly for five months, but one day i boot it up and XP freezes at the WElcome screen. Nothing more, some noise of activity from the HD, but it freezes. I hadnt installed anything new on it for this to happen, or I hadnt moved it around a lot before this happened.

Any idea what may have caused this. Ive used the emergency repair disks to reformat the HD the reinstall the OS, and it worked fine for a day, but again, after leaving it for the weekend, it freezes when it boots up.

Has anyone come accross this before? Its under warranty so I'm not too worried, and i had backed up the important stuff on it, but is there a simple solution.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭cherrio

Have you updated your grpahics drivers recently?

Press F8 when loading (before welcome screen), can't remember which one, but select boot logging. It should then continue loading, asking you to cofirm each boot operation.

I'll put a tenner on it now that where it crashes is on a file called agp440.xxx

This has happened to me at least 3 times before, never been unable to sucessfully recover from this (although some people claim to have, search the net for the file name that XP is crashing on) and had to reformat the C drive and reinstall XP.

If you don't partition your drive already, now would be a good time (C drive should Only contain OS files, then put all your apps, personal files, games on some other partition, so that when XP goes tits up again (and it will!) you only have to reinstall XP and won't lose anything on the other partition(s).

If you'r tech savy enough, a copy of Norton Ghost is well worth its price (create an image of freshly installed (and patched) copy of your C drive/XP, so to restore in the future would only take 10 minutes).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Morgans

thanks a million for the advise. I'm not completely slow when it comes to computers but i would be kind of nervous about doing what you are proposing. That is the funny thing, i didnt install/update any drivers for a long while. Basically installed office/codl fusion/other design packages, and that was it. It was workign fine but one day - i dont know - it got tired and didnt want to work anymore.

I havent partitioned any drives as of yet, and i think i can handle that operation.

Thanks for the advise, and i will have a look at what you advised, but me thinks that it will be going to the HP/Compaq garage failing that.

Thanks again for your time and expertise.

Advertisement