Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can i share dsl with access point?

Options
  • 20-11-2003 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭

ANyone know if i CAN share out internet access with the following configuration?

I have an ericsson dsl modem connected to esat.
    I plugged this into a 3com access point.
    I have two remote pc's using 3com wireless nics.

I have tried just connecting one pc with ip settings provided by esat, this didnt work.

Next, it was suggested (by my boss) to reconfigure using a block of ips which we got from ESAT, assigning one ip to the access point and one each to the wireless pcs.

I was given no gateway (or much help) by esat, but in fairness they are only doing what the customer (my boss) is asking.

Can anyopne point out either a config error, or a major design issue (such as this setup needs at least one pc to be connected to modem, or a router instead of a modem.)

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I think you need a router, or to connect one PC to the modem directly and then use Internet Connection Sharing (I'm presuming you're using Windows) which effectively makes that PC into the router. One way or the other, your life will be easier with the router. You would be better off with NAT and a firewall if you are going to be permanently connected to the internet; I can't believe the number of attempted virus/worm connections that my firewall is reporting. They are dirt cheap these days - from around €30 on Komplett so no excuse not to get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭XDA

Your boss's suggestion should work, but you definitely need the gateway setting from Esat. Each device (the AP and the various PCs) should have their gateway set to the gateway address from Esat. Give their tech support a call, they should be able to help you out.

Note : Setting up in this config means each PC will be directly connected to the Internet, definitely not recommended.

If you have an old PC knocking around doing nothing I would recommend downloading a copy of smoothwall / ipcop and installing that as a firewall between your network and the internet.

Hope this helps.

PM me if you'd like to ask any other direct questions

XDA

Advertisement