Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia 6310i and bluetooth

• 20-11-2003 1:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

I've got my 6310i talking to my laptop via bluetooth and I'm able to dial into the net but only at 9.6k.

Is there a way that I can change this speed to a more usable speed?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

hi, depends on your operator (and if you are pre-pay or bill pay)?

Vodafone can offer you HSCSD and GPRS service. O2 will offer you GPRS service. You may need to request that these service(s) are enabled the operator before you can use them.

if you have installed the 6310i Modem Suite you can select the speed and connection type using the Control Panel in a Windows PC.
    http://www.nokia.com/cda1/0,1080,1220,00.html

alternatively you can just edit the INIT string for the phone's modem driver on the PC

if you post bck you operator and account type - you will be able to get some more focused help...

BrianG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

*hijack*

I'd like to be able to do this with my SE-T610 too, but I've no idea where to start. O2 postpay with GPRS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭kernel32.dll

I'm with Vodafone (Billed)....I've got the data SIM card (I think that's what it called anyway - I've used the mobile with the cable that came with it together with my old laptop - but my new one has no COM port or IR port...hence BT!)

What INIT string do I need to edit in which file?

Cheers.

if you haven't installed the Nokia 6310i Modem Suite (it's an easier front end to configure for the Bluetooth Modem than manually entering INIT strings) then the strings you need are below

you need to identify the particular modem driver used when connecting to the phone (best to using the Nokia Bluetooth Modem driver on the page linked to above)

note you need HSCSD and GPRS ISP Access Point enabledon your account (if they aren't already)

for HSCSD
    INIT string: +CBST=81,0,1;+CHSN=6,3,0,8

with a dial-up account set up for:
    dialing: +353876202222
    username: vodafone
    password: vodafone

for GPRS
    INIT string: +CGDCONT=1,"IP","isp.vodafone.ie"

with a dial-up account set up for:
    dialing: *99#
    username: vodafone
    password: vodafone

BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭kernel32.dll

Thanks for that DubWireless.

Just another question:

If I want ot dial into a regular ISP, Eircom, for example.

Right now I've a connectoid set up for 1892150150 and I use the Nokia phone as the modem.

I can dial into work with a similar number, and this is what I'd like to achieve.
    Is it possible for me to get a higher speed connection to a non-Vodafone ISP using a regular connectoid?

Your solutions appear to involve going through Vodafone's servers to get to the web.

Any additional info and help you have is greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement

you can dial into any connection - you just need to know what modem you are dialing into

e.g. the HSCSD INIT above is configured for Vodafone's Mobile ISP which uses the v.110 protocol

this is where the Nokia Modem Suite Control Panel is handy - as you can tweak the connection type using a GUI rather than having to manually enter the INIT string every time (link to download above)

alternatively if you want to do INIT string configs refer to the AT guide here (page 4 of doc)
    http://www.nokia.com/cda1/0,1080,1528,00.html

i always give the default HSCSD settings for Voda as it can work out the most cost effective (087 to 087 call rates), unless someone else is paying your bill than dial any ISP / connection you want :)

for GPRS Internet isp.vodafone.ie is the default Voda access point (unless your company has leased their own?)

for specific assistance in relation to your work settings you may need to refer to your network admin / IT support, Vodafone also have a dedicated data support team who are there to assist

don't forget to check out the pricing of the services you are about to start using - mobile data is expensive...

hope that helps,
    BrianG

Advertisement