Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL Routing ???

• 20-11-2003 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi All,

I've just installed the Eircom DSL starter package and alls running sweetly. I now want to Split my connection between 3 pc's in the house. The starter package comes with only a DSL modem and no Router.

I'm looking for a Good but Cheap way of doing this since I don't have a DSL Router already. Also I'm looking for a Router that won't effect my ping connection too much in online games.

Has anyone any idea where to start????.

Thx,
    Tom

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

The cayman netopia that is supplied with the starter pack IS a router - rtfm my friend ;)

Bio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by jedor
    I'm looking for a Good but Cheap way of doing this since I don't have a DSL Router already.
    As Bio pointed out, the Cayman can do the job. You'll just need a hub/switch to hook everything up to. You will have to reconfigure the Cayman, though - I haven't actually had my hands on one, and I haven't seen a good step-by-step description of what you need to do (cos the people who know that sort of stuff all signed up with IOL or UTV ;) ) but it should be fairly straightforward. (The netopia website has some info).

Theres no configuring to do tbh.
    The Cayman will dish out IPs automatically
    There are some advanced settings there, but I havent needed them yet.
    It took me about 4 minutes to have my lan machines on the interweb :)

Bio

Originally posted by BioHazRd
    Theres no configuring to do tbh.
    The Cayman will dish out IPs automatically
    There are some advanced settings there, but I havent needed them yet.
    It took me about 4 minutes to have my lan machines on the interweb :)

Bio
    Is the Netopia shipped configured as a router (with DHCP and NAT enabled which you need if you want to share it between 2 or more PCs), or is it shipped configured as a "modem", such that the computer gets the IP address assigned by Eircom, rather than use a "private" address assigned by the Cayman?

Its shipped as a router - DHCP and NAT are enabled.
    All internal ips are 192.168.1.* - the router is 192.168.1.254.
    just connect to the lan with "get settings automatically" and your good to go

Bio

• Advertisement

Its shipped as a router - DHCP and NAT are enabled.
    All internal ips are 192.168.1.* - the router is 192.168.1.254.
    just connect to the lan with "get settings automatically" and your good to go
    Interesting. Do you have to install some PPPoE client stuff on one of the PCs, or have they configured it to do PPPoE as well, and if so, are they using a username and password? Is it unique to each user?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

Originally posted by Ripwave
    Interesting. Do you have to install some PPPoE client stuff on one of the PCs, or have they configured it to do PPPoE as well, and if so, are they using a username and password? Is it unique to each user?

No, the magic is in the box :)

More seriously, DHCP should set this up for you, if you're not using it (or it doesn't) then all you need on internal machines (on the same subnet) are a gateway address (i.e. don't know what to do with this, send it to the gateway) which is your router, and DNS (where's this name go to) which also may be your router if it supports DNS forwarding. Usernames, PPPoe etc. are all handled by the box.

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭ando

i experanced some problems with that router when two people were on the internet at the same time. It started refusing one of the computer out. I noticed it when 2 of us were playing online games at the same time. We didnt notice it when both of us were browsing, cause if you think about it, its unlikely that both of you would click at the exact same time but gaming is on constanly

were you both playing the same game ?

It may be a port forwarding problem in that case. I would never have two gamers on my network at the same time, so it wouldnt be an issue for me.

Bio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Do you have DHCP enabled, jedor? That makes everything plug and play. Installed my wireless router/dsl modem the other day and all I had to do was enter my ISP username and password, and the ethernet connected pc's on my network and my laptop with the wireless card all work grand...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by ando
    i experanced some problems with that router when two people were on the internet at the same time. It started refusing one of the computer out. I noticed it when 2 of us were playing online games at the same time. We didnt notice it when both of us were browsing, cause if you think about it, its unlikely that both of you would click at the exact same time but gaming is on constanly

Reduce your rate.

You've only got 128Kbit upload, which is sweet FA in real-world terms.

Remember, "broadband" starts at 1.5MegaBit (roughly an E1/T1 circuit)

Originally posted by eth0_
    Do you have DHCP enabled, jedor? That makes everything plug and play. Installed my wireless router/dsl modem the other day and all I had to do was enter my ISP username and password, and the ethernet connected pc's on my network and my laptop with the wireless card all work grand...
    Are you using eircom starter, with the Netopia cayman? Where did you enter this username and password?

If you're saying that you installed a wireless router behind the Netopia, and you had to put a username/password on the wireless router, then how did it log in before now? If you were using a PPPoE client on your PC, and had the username/password entered there, then what happened when you had two PCs running at the same time? Did you run the PPPoE client on both? If it was only on one, then what happened if you used the PC that didn't have the PPPoE client installed if the other one was off?

You may find some answers to your questions here

From what I remember, the username / pwd is entered during initial configuration (ie when you put the cd in the drive). I have used it on one laptop when the original install nmachine was of, and I had no problem. from what I understand, the Cayman does the PPPoe end of things, and the username / pwd is stored there.

Bio

You may find some answers to your questions here
    I've read the Netopia site.

I was just hoping one of the 1,000 people a week who've been getting their hands on these yokes might be able to explain how it actually works. (Transparent operation is great, but sometimes people want to know how stuff works, rather than that it just does. I'm very impressed by the specs, on paper, of the Netopia, and it might even be worth the extra €7 or €8 a month, if I was in the market for DSL, but I'd still like to know what the actualy default configuration is.

Advertisement