Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to change default language in WORD

Options
  • 20-11-2003 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know how to change the default language that Microsoft Word uses for spell checking. I use WOrd 2000 and Word XP and both are set to US English. I can manually change to Irish english but it defaults back to US English. I tried the obvious options settings and searched the help files but for some reason I cannot find it. Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 nokomis

Tools - Language - Set Language.

Also make sure your regional settings in your control panel are set to correct language (English UK)

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

Thanks for that - works a treat.

welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

In a similar vein:
    I use Word 2000 as my editor with Outlook ... now when I open a word doc manually the default dictionary is UK, but if make a new email or forward an existing the option to "set language" in the tools menu is greyed out .... and it using the fecking US dictionary (that I cant add to either as it happens) ... very annoying ... whats the workaround for this:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by BigEejit
    I use Word 2000 as my editor with Outlook
    That's just so wrong (see the size of the RTF mails created with Word as opposed to the same format with OL as the editor?)

• Advertisement

In Outlook mail view, go to Tools - Options - Spelling tab and click on the dropdown to change from English US.

and I agree with sceptre - principally because Word is more likely to throw a tantrum and it's harder to kill the process if it's embedded in outlook. HTML covers most of your needs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by sceptre
    That's just so wrong (see the size of the RTF mails created with Word as opposed to the same format with OL as the editor?)

And you get problems with attachments...

PS. Don't forget when you change the language in word it's only for the selected text in the selected file.

So - Ctrl A - Tools - Langague - Mark Selected text as Irish Click on DEFAULT so all new docs are non US, also you might want to make a macro 'cos you have to convert all existing doc's

on the start menu there should be a language utility in office tools to set it to UK english for all office apps.

OK Captn Midnight, now you have me worried. It does seem to default back to US english once I save the file and open a brand new document. I guess I need to change Normal.dot.

Where the hell is normal.dot in XP or 2000?

The reason I didn't find the language option in the first place is because of those studid "Smart menus" that only show you the commands that Microsoft thinks you want to use. I know it is possible to turn this off but that measn going on another long search throiugh menus and less than helpful help.

Why is this so difficult?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Mad Mike
    I guess I need to change Normal.dot.

Where the hell is normal.dot in XP or 2000?
    This is relatively easy.

Just open Word with a blank document, then click Tools, Language, Set Language, change to English (Ireland) or English (UK), click the "default" button (make sure to do this!), ckick OK and you're done.

Now that's for Word 2002 but 2000 is probably the same. If it isn't, well someone will know.

Yup that does it. Guess I should have seen that default button the first time

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

For the hidden menus look at Tools - Customise
    There is a button there
    -it's not called "hide things I don't use often so I'll never find them"

www.openoffice.org doesn't have this junk.

Advertisement