Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pet

• 20-11-2003 2:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

I really really really want a dog, but because I am a grown up and responsible I understand that with me and my husband being out at work all day it just wouldn't be fair on the poor thing. I spend most of my free time taking my Mum and Mother inlaws dogs for walks and playing with them. They are 2 gorgeous golden retrievers.

Then I thought, what about a cat, they don't mind being alone for a few hours a day do they? But what if I don't bond with the cat, what if he doesn't like me? I'm a dog person, not sure about cats.. and then the dogs woludn't be able to mind the dogs in my house if I had a cat..

god I sound mental, does anyone understand what I'm going on about??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

My fianceé and I have two dogs. A mongrel and a German Shepard.
    We both work Mon-Fri/9-5. Thwe mongrel stays in the house and the GSD stays out the back.

When we get home there excited to see us and then they get walked. There's nothing wrong with leaving your dog(s) at home while your at work so long as they've got sufficent Food and Water and you make sure you make time for them when you get home.

What kind of dog were you thinking of?
    If its a big dog they'll need plenty of excercise so you'll have to walk them when you come home from work!

My dogs (especially the gsd) gets a quick walk every evening and then a proper walk in the woods at the weekend and it's working out fine.

Do not let work dictate your homelife!

Hope this helps! There really isn't anything better than a loyal friendly dog!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

It can differ depending on the breed aswell. Some can be fairly dependant or unhappy once the owner isn't around, so read up on any animal or breed you want to get to get an idea of what it may be like.

Of course, each animal, whichever breed it is, won't be exactly like the next so there's no way to be sure but some breeds are fairly well known to bark and whail whenever mommy and daddy aren't there, and I'm sure the neighbours (and the dog!) won't be too happy with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

Somone once told me somthing, an I now live by it,....
    "Work to live, Never live to work!" :)

Dont let ur job dictate your life!

A dog (specially a smaller one like a Jack russell terrier) will be fine for that amount of time as long as it gets plenty of love and attention when you are there and a short walk when u can ;0) They are not demanding dogs at all and are very very loyal and loving to their owner, they also bond quickly and for life! :0)

If you are worried about leaving it alone, why not get TWO like we have!
    You will get twice as much love and it is just as easy to look after 2 of these as it is one, (make sure u get small ones tho lol) ;0)

Either way, give it plenty of love, toys when ur not there, its own teddy bear, and it will all be fine! :0)

Good luck with ur new puppy!

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Smurfette

I agree with all the above and there are so many dogs that need good homes but like you I really wanted an animal and just thought a dog would need to much attention as I travel alot with work I ended up homing a stray cat and the difference it makes to the home is great they are very indepedent so he stays out all day and then is in for the night when I come home ! Whatever you decide i'm sure you and the animal you decide will be the better for it !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I would strongly disagree with some of the previous.
    Dogs, especially german shepards, labradors etc need exercise. Lot's of it, all the time. An hour's walk a day, every day at least.
    A short walk 5 nights a week and locked up in a garden the rest of the time is not fair on the animal, no matter how much good you'd like to think you're doing.
    And let's face it, if you come home and it's lashing out of the heavens, or freezing cold, or snowy do you go out for an hour? Or when you need to go shopping? Do you hell.

The "do not let work dictate your homelife" is all well and good when you apply it to your own life, but it's a little unfair when you get a dog who has to sit in a garden bored all day long just so you have the pleasure of his tail wagging when you get home.

love and attention when you are there and a short walk when u can

"love and attention" is not enough. That's exactly the kind of selfish twaddle people tell themselves when they want to get a dog. Walking a dog "When you can" is not caring for the animal as they deserve.

It's just downright selfish and I'm sick of seeing dogs, large or small, cooped up all day long and then the owner gets home tired and "accidently" leaves the back gate open so the dog can exercise themselves.

If you can't take on the responsibility in full, then you shouldn't take it on at all.

Cats are more independant so if you're out all day, they can still exercise without causing trouble.

You're conscience is telling you you shouldn't get a dog as you won't have enough time for it and I think you should go with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

My German Shepard is well looked after. He gets at least an hour walk every evening. And 2-3 on the weekends. When I mentioed short walks - I meant an hour not 5 minutes!
    I also go out in all weather as i'm not selfish!

I believe if i didn't buy the dog he could be easily sitting around as a Guard Dog somewhere! Would he be better off then?

I think your being OTT Kananga and somewhat unfair!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Smurfette

To be honest I think Kanga was a bit unfair too .Yeah its terrible when dogs are left day in day out to sit in the back yard but I think the way gilly is doing things is better than what most dogs get and I would much prefer to see someone like gilly having a dog than someone whether it be a large or small dog who literally leave the dog in the back garden 24/7 and i know of dogs that are left like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

quote:
    love and attention when you are there and a short walk when u can

What I meant by that was NOT exclusive to proper day to day care of vetinary care, feeding etc and how dare u imply it is! >:

My dogs are VERY well looked after as are all my animals as many here can testify to. I recently had a €600 vet bill for a cat which I paid without even thinking about it, and as somone living on disability allowance I think that in itself says a lot about how much they mean to me.
    Also, I was specifically talking about very small dogs as I said, JRT's to be exact.

My dogs have a garden to play in when *they* wantare fed and looked after very well, and TBH *my* life revolves more around theirs than theirs does of mine.

B

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ClaOC

I think that both dogs and cats in most circumstances get along with each other once introduced properly. In my experience cats love all people....even dog lovers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I was working full time when I got my dogs. I'd recommend getting two because they keep each other company when you're not there. The only real difference between 1 dog and 2 is double the poo to pick up, and double the food and training, obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

Both myself and my OH work full time but I wouldnt change having our guy for anything. If you do go down the path of getting a dog the main thing I would say is be responsible with dedicating the time to her / her when you are not in work. A good walk before you leave in the morning and then again in the evening along with plenty of mental stimulation - e.g. reward based training, will ensure you have a happy dog that isnt neglected. We have plenty of time with out guy before we leave in the morning and he gets plenty of attention and interaction in the evening untill he practically collapses into bed just before midnight.

Our guy is part of the family and us being at work does not change that one bit. He mainly sleeps when we are not there anyway and saves his energy for jumping and slobbering on us in the evening :D

As other posters have suggested some breeds are more comfortable with being left alone for long periods of time and others might be more succeptiable to slight seperation anxity so research which breed or dog would be suitable to you before committing to taking one home.

I dont have one but I have often heard that a greyhound is a good dog for people who work as they love nothing more than to lounge during the day and as long as they get plenty of stimulation and exercise when you are at home they will be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭Papillon!

I work full time MON-FRI 9-5 and my OH works part time. Our dogs are fine while we're gone, sleep loads, have our iTunes on all day for them to listen too :D and plenty of toys (rotated every few days).

They are so excited in the evening and get so much loving, hugs, walks, home made food.

You could have someone who is home 24/7 and the dogs are ignored. You couldnt find more love than in our home:)

If you know you can give a great home to them, do not let your work interfere. There are so many dogs out there desperately looking for a better life than they have now :)

Good Luck OP

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Folks,
    This thread has been resurrected having lain dormant for 9 years. I think we can take it as read that the OP has sorted the situation out, one way or the other, at this stage.
    Can users please check that they are not resurrecting ancient threads in this way, please :o
    Thread closed.
    Thanks,
    DBB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement