Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

virus

• 20-11-2003 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭

just got this, this has to be the dumbest virus ive ever seen, youd have to be a complete idiot to fall for it

Dear PayPal member,

We regret to inform you that your account is about to be expired in
    next five business days. To avoid suspension of your account you have to
    reactivate it by providing us with your personal information.

To update your personal profile and continue using PayPal services you
    have to run the attached application to this email. Just run it and
    follow the instructions.

IMPORTANT! If you ignore this alert, your account will be suspended in
    next five business days and you will not be able to use PayPal anymore.

Thank you for using PayPal.

oazouchu

attachment was

ww.paypal.com.pif

:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭rocco

will u forward that mail onto me I dont want mypaypal a/c to be deactivated .

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Well I know about 2,000 morons that we support that would fall for it!
    MiMail has been a major pain in the arse for us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Oh im sure theres loads of em out there. Though you would hope that the people that setup a paypal account would by default be some bit savvy about such things

More on the virus :

http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/mimail_j.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

M$ really regret making "picture it format" (.pif) an executable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Im afrad your wrong there theciscokid

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/P/PIF_file.html

Short for Program InFormation file, a type of file that holds information about how Windows should run a non-Windows application. For example, a PIF file can contain instructions for executing a DOS application in the Windows environment. These instructions can include the amount of memory to use, the path to the executable file, and what type of window to use. PIF files have a .pif extension .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Why not block the pif extension on all the mail servers around the world?

As it seems to be is a virus carrier!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

Originally posted by GoneShootin
    Im afrad your wrong there theciscokid

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/P/PIF_file.html

Short for Program InFormation file, a type of file that holds information about how Windows should run a non-Windows application. For example, a PIF file can contain instructions for executing a DOS application in the Windows environment. These instructions can include the amount of memory to use, the path to the executable file, and what type of window to use. PIF files have a .pif extension .

/me hides

i knew that i was um.. testing you :ninja:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ah the days when the only executables that could screw up your system were...

.bat
    .com
    .cmd (NT batch file)
    .exe
    .pif
    .scr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭somano

I ran McAfee Virus Scan and it told me that I had a virus in my cookies file: index.dat - but it wont let me delete it.

Also says I have vbs/loveletter @mm
    virus x 3 with the following filenames dVS_Excl.mmf, dAV_Excl.mmf & dAV_scan.mmf.

If wont let me clean or delete them as it says media is right protected.

ANy suggestions how to get rid of these please?:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭captainpat

Have you tried deleting them from Windows Explorer in Safe Mode. Or start up in DOS and delete from there. You will need the full path to each file.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭somano

Thanks. Posted a big long reply but it never went through. Very frustrating when that happens. Anyhow:- I uninstalled McAfee Virus SCan and reinstalled and there was no virus !

Bit odd that eh ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭captainpat

Looks like you're sorted, then. Sometimes it's best not to wonder why. Life's too short

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Originally posted by angelofdeath
    just got this, this has to be the dumbest virus ive ever seen, youd have to be a complete idiot to fall for it

Never underestimate the stupidity of the average member of the general public.

Then bear in mind that up to 50% of them are even more thick :eek:

Advertisement