Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failed Line test How can this be ?

• 20-11-2003 3:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭

Failed the line test on the Eircom site.

My phone was finally connected yesterday, a brand new line to a new estate. I can see the exchange which I am connected to about 500 metres away. The exchange is BB enabled. In fact I checked this before I ordered the phone.

There is a DECT phone connected, perhaps this is a problem ?

Or perhaps I am trying the test too early ?? After all it was only connected yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Quite possibly. I think the test is run monthly so if it was installed yesterday I imagine the default setting would be to fail it till its next tested.

If not then see if you can get an engineer in the exchange to check it out for you. The word "Nixer" springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Practical

If netsource are in your area, ring them up and ask for a test. If you pass, the result goes straight onto your eircom account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

It can take a week or two for the Eircom engineer to test out a new line. This data base is the one that Netsourse use to tell you if your line can take BB.

Eircom do not guarantee that a newly installed line will take BB, even if other lines in the house can take BB. Its a complete joke they even try and get away with this type of crap. I had a screaming match with some biddy over the phone when i was told my newly installed line didnt pass for BB even tho the main phone line did, I vowed not to pay them a cent for the install of the new line, vowed to see them in court and ended up getting transfered to a very helpful lady who then tested my line and informed me that I could get BB. So I went from no BB, no way no how to when would you like our sales department to ring you for BB details for you new line, all in under 15 minutes.

Eircom a bad joke of a company and thats all they ever will amount to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭gombín

A "nixer", or anything else similar will do you no good I'm afraid. The equipment the engineers in the exchange use has nothing to do with DSL and will not improve your chances of passing the test. The only way the result will change, is by contacting one of the Carriers directly and having the line retested.

Regards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Can someone just brief me on the line test. Is the online version just a database of enabled exchanges and then the script looks your exchange when you enter your phone number or does it really reflect the true DSL-capable status? Or, if the online test indicates that my number/line passes, does this really mean I can go ahead and order DSL or am I subject to a further 'real' test?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Well if it doesn't pass, they can go and ****e for their connection fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

exact same thing happened to me. I got a line installed after failing a LOS test for wireless BB then had to wait three weeks until eircom tested the line. All thru the 3 weeks it came up as failed on the online prequal test. Then it passed and a week later I got clicksilver installed.

Have patience, it's the only way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Venom
    I had a screaming match with some biddy over the phone when i was told my newly installed line didnt pass for BB even tho the main phone line did, I vowed not to pay them a cent for the install of the new line,
    Purely as a matter of interest, why did you order a new line? Does the other line belong to someone else who doesn't want you getting DSL on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

New Estate = New House Ripwave :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Muck
    New Estate = New House Ripwave :D
    Venom isn't in a new house in a new estate. Quote i was told my newly installed line didnt pass for BB even tho the main phone line did

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

ah me Bad.

Quigs will possibly have to wait another few weeks for a definitive answer , the test cycle is a month long or so.

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Originally posted by Ripwave
    Purely as a matter of interest, why did you order a new line? Does the other line belong to someone else who doesn't want you getting DSL on it?

I just wanted a seperate line for BB is all.

Advertisement