Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rules for Boards Pool tournament

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

the irish pool association has no sense? thats hardly a fair statment to make :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Originally posted by tuxx
    i just dont think there is any need to make up rules thats all

I dunno, all through this thread I've just been suggesting rules that I've always played.
    And rules that seemed to make sense to me and all my friends when we were playing.
    True they're not offical or anything but they work.

I honestly don't know anyone I've played against who played the EPA or other organisation rules in Ireland. Everyone just plays away, and asks "what do you play on the black?", and once thats agreed they carry on.

If we get buckets of people calling for EPA rules then thats fine by me, but its Boards Pool+pints+chat+bragging rights, nothing more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

the irish pool association has no sense? thats hardly a fair statment to make :(
    Do you think I hurt it's feelings?

btw if people want to play made up rules thats fine but u shouldnt state "usual 8ball rules" just edit the first post to say "made up by boards.ie rules" :)
    im from tipperary and we play epa rules , but in some pubs people play made up rules
    its differnt in clubs

btw if people want to play made up rules thats fine but u shouldnt state "usual 8ball rules" just edit the first post to made up by boards rules :)

nobody else really had a prob with it until now, everyone else knew I was talking about the "Irish Fun Pool and Pints and Chat" Association rules.

well if you read the thread u see a good few people wanted differnt rules thats why i thought using the offical rules in ireland might be best if you make up rules you will always leave something out but nothing is left out in the epa rules

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

nothing is left out in the epa rules

except fun?

Originally posted by henbane
    except fun?
    well thats a matter of opinion
    yuo can have fun with all differnt types of rules
    why do i get the impression lafortezza,henband and dapper all know each other irl and want everyone to play their version of the rules? :D

well thats a matter of opinion
    yuo can have fun with all differnt types of rules
    why do i get the impression lafortezza,henband and dapper all know each other irl and want everyone to play their version of the rules? :D

Well you've been spouting your pedantic little opinion for the last few posts so I figured I'd give mine.

We do know each other and we make no secret of that. We are not trying to force anybody to play our rules. Dakeyras came up with the basic model independently of us and some of the rules which have been set are not ones we play.

I think your little poll will prove most people in ireland don't take the time to find out and play the complete rules of some code of competitive pool.

It's been said many times before that the aim of this thread is to come up with a general compromise of standard, friendly rules people play when they're having a casual game of pool.

• Advertisement

Well you've been spouting your pedantic little opinion for the last few posts so I figured I'd give mine.

im sorry for having an opinion differnt than yours, is all forgiven now?
    but i guess your right very few people know the rules in pool , wouldnt it be fun if we made up some rules for the snooker also ? :)

Jebus tuxx you're like the energizer bunny of irritating posters!

What is it about morons that when they think they're right about something they just can't shutup? Is it the rarity of the experience?

Oh and tuxx, putting a smiley in a post doesn't mean you're being any less of an asshole.

im sorry for having an opinion differnt than yours, is all forgiven now?
    Forgiven? Suck it down, pedant. I don't object to different opinions, I only object to an inability to consider something that isn't written down by some organisation as a possible way to do things.

but i guess your right very few people know the rules in pool , wouldnt it be fun if we made up some rules for the snooker also ? :)
    Quite the use of analogy there, I bet you won awards for debating at school. As it happens I know very few people who play snooker absolutely by the book.

Quite the use of analogy there, I bet you won awards for debating at school. As it happens I know very few people who play snooker absolutely by the book.
    my point exactly its fun to make it up as u play

Going and going and going.

A god of sarcasm - i feel suitably chastised. Plank!

• Advertisement

it wasnt sarcasm you have opened my eyes to the way of making up your own rules
    now leave it there before this is closed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

Er... no it isn't....

As for the rules, let's go nuts and play 9-ball!!!!!! *

* ???

9 ball would be cool :) although that could cause problems when it come to rules also, i dont know 9 ball rules ;/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Let's just not let tuxx, henbane, dapper or lafortezza play.
    YAY \o/ all is solved. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Smithers

did you know ireland won the junior world championships in 2002 captained by Leitrims Barry Reynolds!!!!

anyways, in county matches and the all ireland they use rules

as posted already , granted to someone who hasnt played these they take some getting used to so i propose the following!:D

on break off

1 ball potted without foul must stick with colour.
    1 or more balls potted of each colour must nominate colour before nxt shot and stick.
    white or any object ball leaves the table on break 2 shots to the opponent, if a ball is potted then "breaker" is on that colour.if notihing potted 2 shots and open table
    if black is potted on break without cue or any other ball going down breaker is the winner, if cue or another ball go's down with black then breaker loses game,

Shots carrying

On a foul shots dont carry with the exception of a free ball , ie.

opponent fouls and leave u not being able to hit both side of any of your balls,

you then must nominate the ball u want to play to the ref, u may pot this or use it to plant and pot ur own ball , then you have 2 shots remaining but these DO NOT carry,

Free ball must be firstly called by the ref and player must nominte their free ball, failure to do so is a foul,

back table is allowed

is there is only a line and not a D then cue ball can be placed anywere behind the line for breakoff/foul following white being potted,

if on the black , can go in any pocket , no need to nominate,

Foul on black doesnt lose game unless black is potted also.

3 deliberate fouls loses game(to be called by REF)

any ball to leave the table is automatically deemed as potted but a foul go's to oppoonent,

tats all for now , if most people agree u might sticky it and i wil add to it as i think of stuff,

D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Big Ears

u know 9-ball wouldnt be that bad an idea. I watched the world 9-ball pool championships on sky a few months back (steve davis got to the quater finals and tony drago got to the semis mark williams got to the second round) they did it in a soccer way with having a couple of groups with 5 people in each and the top two in the group got out and into the second round. Basicly it would be great craic.

You know we should all just shut up and let Dakeryus who's organising it or else the mods set the rules.

would save alot of hassle and high blood pressure.

Would I be right in saying that the general consensus for the major rule points is as follows???:
    1. Black potted on break wins the frame unless the cue ball is pocketed, in which case it is a loss. Whether or not other balls are potted is irrelevant
    2. If the cue ball is potted, the opposing player can place it anywhere behind the head string (remember the Palace uses American pool tables (and balls) so there's no "D" or baulk line).
    3. At least X number of object balls must hit a cushion on the break unless a ball is potted. Failure to do so results in the opposing player breaking on a re-rack.
    4. After a foul, the opposing players has two shots (except on the black). Shots don't carry.
    5. It is *not* required for a ball to hit a cushion if a ball is not potted.
    6. Choice of whether to break off first or not is determined through a toss of a coin. Players alternate breaking off for successive frames.
    7. If the incoming player is snookered after a foul he is given a free ball. On the free ball he may hit and/or pot any of the opponent's balls as if they were his own. Player only gets 2 shots on a free ball - i.e. if a player does not pot a ball on the free ball, he is then on the second of his two shots and must pot one of his own balls to continue.
    8. The definition of "snookered" is the same as in snooker: "The cue-ball is said to be snookered when a direct stroke in a straight line to every ball on is wholly or partially obstructed by a ball or balls not on. If one or more balls on can be struck at both extreme edges free of obstruction by any ball not on, the cue-ball is not snookered."
    9. There is no "stick pocket" on the black.
    10. "Back table" is allowed.
    11. "Push shots" are fouls
    12. "Jump shots" are fouls.
    13. Foul on black does not result in lose of frame unless the black is potted.
    14. If a ball is knocked of the table it is a foul and the ball is considered to have been potted. Knocking the black off the table results in the loss of the game.
    For rule 3, X has yet to be decided....

:ninja:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

peeps stop the serious bickering about the rules.

I'll send a PM to Dakeryus now and if he doesn't bang up a post by Tuesday stating all the FINAL rules I'll do it

Agreed?

DMT's rules seem perfect to me.

Except they don't state what happens when the object ball is knocked off the table.

tuxx has to eat it.

i think it should be respoted as close to the dot on the table as posible
    4 is a good number for x in dmt's rules
    and since there is no baulk how about using the american rule where u can place it anywhere on the line when placing the cue ball

Originally posted by Makaveli
    Except they don't state what happens when the object ball is knocked off the table.
    Rule 14 added to my post above. I chose* to state it as being potted as the pool tables in the palace don't have a line drawn from the black spot to the top the table (note: baulk end is the bottom of the table) so it could lead to debate over where it should be put if the black spot was covered or if more than one ball was knocked of the table.

It's very unlikely that the heavy american pool balls in the Palace will get knocked the table in any event....

* By "chose" I'm not insinuating that I'm making the rules, or that my rules rules are the best - the actual rules used in the competition may be completely different. "My" rules are just was I consider to be the general concensus of what the rules should be from reading the posts in this thread and are open to complete change if need be....

I think they are pretty much spot on.
    Except I disagree with 10, but because they are American tables I'm willing to accept it. ;)

• Advertisement

if you pot a ball from the break are you on that for the rest of the game or can u nominate?

The way I play if you only pot one you're on that, if you pot one or more of each you can choose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

what does "back table is allowed" mean?

Originally posted by Makaveli
    I think they are pretty much spot on.
    Except I disagree with 10, but because they are American tables I'm willing to accept it. ;)
    I was playing in the weekly pool competition in the palace tonight and the rules are almost identical to the ones I posted, with the exception that the table is still open after the break-off even if you pot a ball and back table is NOT allowed.

Originally posted by The Rooster
    what does "back table is allowed" mean?
    If "back table" is not allowed it means that you have to hit the ball down the table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Dakeyras

Right, sorry for not being around for the last few days, off on a nice little pre-christmas break, lovely indeed. But enough with the irrelevant babble. I can see your having fun arguing (shame i missed that) :) but just to end it and let us all move on, here do be the final rules as sort of argued by everyone (I’ll bring copies of the rules on the night so there can be no arguments over them):
      For each match there will be a nominated referee to oversee the game and make calls on any disagreements (we can decide who on the night itself as there will need to be a few).
      Choice of break decided by coin toss, alternate thereafter.
      Cue ball to be placed anywhere behind the line as there is no D.
      You cannot shoot back-table (but the cue ball can be placed against the back cushion).
      At least 4 object balls must hit the cushion unless a ball is potted for the break to be valid. Opposing player re-breaks if this is not the case.
      Potting the black of the break wins the frame regardless of other balls potted, if the cue ball is also potted the frame is lost.
      Potting the cue ball off the break is a foul, if no colours are potted the opposing player respots the cue ball with one shot. If a colour is potted it is one shot on that colour or two shots on the other colour.
      If an even number of each colour is potted of the break the player must nominate (to the referee) which colour he intends to play before striking the ball. If this is not done it is considered a foul.
      It is not required that a ball must hit a cushion if a ball is not potted.
      Jumps shots are considered fouls.
      Push shots are considered fouls.
      After a foul the opposing player has 2 shots, which do not carry. There is only one shot on the black.
      If a player is left snookered after a foul shot he has a ‘free ball’. He can nominate (this must be indicated to the match referee) one of the opposing players balls to hit or pot and it will be considered as one of his own.
      If a ball leaves the table it is considered to be a foul, the ball is considered potted and the opposing player has two shots. If the black leaves the table it is loss of frame.
      A foul on the black does not result in loss of frame unless the black is potted along with any other ball, this results in loss of frame.
      A pocket must be nominated for each shot on the black but there is no stick pocket.
      A deliberate foul results in loss of frame. This is at the discretion of the match referee only (and there is a difference in an absolutely useless shot and a deliberate foul).

NB. - All other relevant info regarding this wonderous event will be posted in this thread here So pop over there for dates, whos playing, times and all that other relevant stuff.

raptor or celtic could you lock this thread and maybe sticky it too?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Thanks Dakeyras,

I think them rules are perfect & easy to understand.

Thread closed.

Celtic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 higgy86

i'm confused, what if a player potted his last ball then the white then hit off the black and potted that in the same shot. is that a foul because the player was not intending to pot the black and his last colours in the same shot and the pocket was not nominated for the black??? thanks paul

higgy86 wrote:
    i'm confused, what if a player potted his last ball then the white then hit off the black and potted that in the same shot. is that a foul because the player was not intending to pot the black and his last colours in the same shot and the pocket was not nominated for the black??? thanks paul
    Wow this thread is old.

It's a foul to pot the black when it is not "on". It is only "on" when all your other balls have been potted. But it is a foul to pot the black in the same shot that one of your other balls (or your opponents balls) balls is potted. It also usually means in most pool games that you automatically lose (no respotted black).

So therefore in your scenario potting the black in the same shot as the last of your other balls is a foul as the black was not "on" at the start of the shot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement