Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major/severe Storm In-progress

Options
  • 20-11-2003 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

A major to severe geomagnetic storm is in-progress. The first coronal mass ejection failed to arrive. However, the second CME impacted near 08:08 UTC on 20 November and is producing strong levels of geomagnetic and auroral storm activity. Widespread red aurora have been observed (even through clouds). Significant storm activity is expected to continue through at least the next 6 to 12 hours.

Keep the peepers open tonight lads! 486 and 488 are back!

:cool:

Comments

Aha!!

I just came in to ask that question.

I'm in South Wicklow and the sky is streaked in red sprays of light from directly overhead and streaking out to the west and northwest.
    There are other light colours to either side of the streaks of red which are taking up a good part of the sky.

I've no street light polution here so I'm getting a good view of this.

It looks really wierd but spectacular!

Anyone else seeing anything??

mm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Yeah I can see them in west Mayo too. :)

Lots of white beams poking out from beneath the scattered shower clouds. Only white so far though.

The red was more pronounced and darkish among the streaks of white light to the north and south of it about an hour ago.
    It has diffused noticably now but you can still make out the red here.

The effect is now visible from horizon to horizon here east to west.
    To the south of the reddish streaks the streaks of white are very bright.

mm

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

I've been told it's visible in even light polluted Dublin. Will let ye know if I see anything. No luck yet though cause I was in far FAR too light polluted DCU! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭albertw

Hi,

Yep, its obvious even in light polluted clontarf and on the slightly darker dollymont strand. Reports coming in on the IFAS board about it being seen clearly all over the country.

From dollymount I could clearly see some red though mainly greens, covering all but the very south of the sky. Plenty of spikes and curtains also, though fairly dim witht he LP.

Cheers,
    ~Al
    --
    Join your local Astronomy Club!
    www.irishastronomy.org

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Yup, clear sky in cork today, could see it earlier on the way home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Korg

Yeah, pretty clear at the back of the airport near the boot inn, spikes extending from east to west & almost meeting straight overhead. Wierd, not witnessed this before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭oneweb

Yeah, I was putting lights onto the tree in the garden (Don't worry, they're not going live just yet!) when I saw a fabulous deep purple streak in the sky. This was around 18:00. Have seen a few more since.
    It's beautiful :)

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

heh, i seen the white streaks but dismissed it and went inside. last nite was so clear too, will there be more tonite i wonder?

Originally posted by sirpsycho
    will there be more tonite i wonder?

Another alert has been send www.spacew.com/cme which may hit tomorrow night, though its a lot weaker and is unlikley to give anywhere near as good a display if any display at all.

Heep an eye on spacew.com as it gets dark, if the trafifc lights are red and Bz is a large negative number (<-20) there may be a chance.

Cheers,
    ~Al
    --
    Irish Federation of Astronomical Societies
    www.irishastronomy.org

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Unfortunately we had lots of cloud and rain for most of last night.

I looked out after 1am when it had finally cleared up a bit. At that stage there was a broad band of light stretching from NW to NE. There were a few faint spikes, but nothing spectacular. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Monasette

It was visible in Galway until about 8.30 - the clouds came in after that. At one point, there was a huge red arc stretching from the eastern horizon to the west. A couple of pics here if you're interested.

Some pics starting to get posted to the IFAS site too http://www.irishastronomy.org/user_resources/viewFiles.php

Cheers,
    ~Al

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Monasette

Cheers - I'll post one of the pics there (some great stuff there already)

/John

Advertisement