Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snooker Tournament

• 20-11-2003 5:24pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭

Right so who'd like to see a Snooker tourney cos pool is a piece of piss to play and requires next to no skill

You know yourself hit it hard if it misses it will go in somewhere :D:D:D

Anyway, if a pool tournaments being organised I'm officiallly withdrawing those 3 brand new cues as prizes cos I ****ing hate pool

So what would you all prefer snooker or pool tourney

Which tourney would you prefer? 19 votes

Snooker
    0% 0 votes
    Pool
    47% 9 votes
    Wouldn't bother me either way
    42% 8 votes
    Use snooker cues as swords & have a dual tourney. last to die a horrific death wins
    10% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

We can have both :) At least, I'd like to play in both...

When they are both organised the mod can take the essential bits fom related threads and make stickies for both comps with dates, times, players, rules and prizes.

Luc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Probably more people interested in the pool tourney as its easier to pick up and play.
    I'd give the snooker tournament a go but I'm lacking in skills on the big table.
    Where?
    When?
    Can there be a prize for last place? :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

if your referring to the snooker tournet lafortezza

I'll organise some prize anyone any suggestion for what it should be?

Originally posted by the-raptor
    if your referring to the snooker tournet lafortezza

I'll organise some prize anyone any suggestion for what it should be?

Yep, I'm signed up for the pool tourney, but I'd happily play in the snooker one as well.
    If enough people sign up the snooker cues as prizes would be great,
    a pint or two to drown the sorrows should be enough for the loser's prize :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Dakeyras

personally im more for the pool, having not played snooker in a long while i can picture how **** id be, but id give a bit of snooker a go as well. So im up for both as it happens, though i can see my snooker tournament now, knoscked out in first round, ah well, stout yeoman of the bar, keep the guinness coming while i watch this snooker lark

• Advertisement

seeing as how theres prob a few posting (and lurking around) who wouldnt be confident of their snooker skills I'll lend an extra helping hand to them.

If any of ya out there fancy a snooker lesson PM me and I'll meet up with ya some time before the tourney and show ya a proper bridge hand, stance how you go about screwing back (without ripping the cloth or swiping the white off the table)

I play snooker pretty much every night sometimes for a 5-6 hours other times for 1 so whenever you wanna meet up it don't bother once i get to play snooker.

Anyway, I'm no pro (obviously) but I can teach ya'll what ya need to know to improve your game to a certain extent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

why not use the snooker cues as swords and have a dual tournament. last to die a horrific death wins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

or use them as them sticks that dat turtle fella had?

poll changed as per your suggestion
    :D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

im not great at snooker and i dunno if i would enter in a tournament cos of this.

its not that i dont have the correct stance or anything. i have a pool table in my gaff and im pretty good at that.

i kinda used to play a bit of snooker but just as i was starting to get somewhere i fecked off to germany for 6 months. they didnt even have proper pool tables, nevermind snooker. all the pool tables were the american style ones and the only snooker table i saw must have been at least half size.

so ive lost my ways. i was gonna join the snooker club in college but i have a hell of a lot of work to do so i havnt bothered yet....

• Advertisement

ah play the tourney it dont matter how good or bad you

on the plus side you may get to see some good snooker and get dunk

on the minus well there is no minus really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

I've been lurking for a while as you pointed out above raptor and wud be interested in playing.

I'm sure Project Mayhem wud play also

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Id like to know the standard of snooker players here though

..cause it be ridiculous if there are ppl who can get 60-80 breaks and the likes of me happy in our 20-25 breaks bracket.

A handicap system would need to be set up.

God amnt I an awful moaner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I'd play pool myself...

used to be good at it, need some practise.
    Originally posted by Washout

God amnt I an awful moaner

Yes, but I'm sure she loves it. :p

well my biggest break is 32 but then again Im not a break player Im more of the hit and run variety.

But I think a handicap system would be good alright but how do we decide who has what handicap. It's not that I dont trust ya'all but what if someone bends the truth about their highest break (lowers it in order to get a baeter handicap) what failsafe system could we come up with.

Also, while on the topic what snooker club would everyone prefer to play so I can get in touch with them. I myself play in the Racecourse so I dont know many others bar Joeys in Harmonstown and that other one out by Artane.

So my question is where would ya like to play it (and dont go for your home ground please choose a central location) and how would we work a FAIR handicap system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

Count me in.

as regards handicapping, do what they do in golf. Anyone taking part plays three frames against different players and they're score taken note of by tournie organiser. Handicap is awarded based on average score i.e. consistent hi scorer=low handicap and conversely so with the low scorers.

Locations? I normally play in Tallaght, however am open to travelin about a bit. Theres two in Tallaght (Belgard Castle & the one in the village). Belgard has about 10 good quality tables. Tallaght village has two good quality tables out of about 10 and is always jammed. Oh, and then theres Rathfarnham, where theres 12 decent quality tables to choose from.

If ye need a hand in the organisation of such an event holler as I am v interested. Lets not let it fall on its face before it gets off the ground.

K-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Originally posted by Amartin
    I've been lurking for a while as you pointed out above raptor and wud be interested in playing.

I'm sure Project Mayhem wud play also

:)

speak for yourself

Originally posted by Kell
    Count me in.
    Locations? I normally play in Tallaght, however am open to travelin about a bit. Theres two in Tallaght (Belgard Castle & the one in the village). Belgard has about 10 good quality tables. Tallaght village has two good quality tables out of about 10 and is always jammed. Oh, and then theres Rathfarnham, where theres 12 decent quality tables to choose from.

K-

any chance it could be organised in a more central location?
    I'm working in city centre but don't drive and home is out the N11 to Wicklow or Deansgrange.
    I haven't played much snooker either so you'd have to take it easy on me

I'm hoping to have a more central location but like I said I dont know any central clubs.

IMO the 2 omst easily accessable would be Joeys In Harmonstwon and the Racecourse Inn in Baldoyle purely because they are both right beside the Dart line.

So I'm strongly leaning towards 1 of these 2 unless anyone else can make a suggestion as to a venue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

The snooker rounds will tk ages though. And cost a fortune unless its like 1 frame a match. Any more than 1 frame and it`ll have to be 3 frames and thati`ll get expensive.

Pool is quicker and more rounds and wud b more fun. Cud play a few ppl in 1 evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

Im a barman in Spawell Snooker in Templeogue and mentioned organising a tournament/piss up on the board events section before. I have been too busy to get a date and stuff finalised for this event but it looks now like that I have the go ahead in the new year on a Saturday night, which will progress onto the nightclub downstairs.

More details soon
    Ger

Advertisement