Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[ Official EA/Dice ] Mappin' Contest

Options
  • 20-11-2003 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭

Do You Have What It Takes to Create the Ultimate Battlefield?
    If you think you have the skills to build the ultimate battlefield, now’s your chance to prove it. Electronic Arts is teaming up with Alienware, nVidia, and PlanetBattlefield to present the Battlefield 1942 Multiplayer Mapmaking Contest. Whether you’re an experienced Battlefield mapmaker or a novice looking to build your first multiplayer map, here’s your opportunity to become the ultimate architect of war and win some great prizes, including an Alienware Area-51 Extreme PC, a GeForce FX 5900 Video Card, a GeForce FX 5700 Video Card, and more.

For more details and information on how to enter the contest, visit PlanetBattlefield.

From Official Battlefield1942 Homepage
    Electronic Arts, Alienware, NVIDIA and PlanetBattlefield are calling all budding Battlefield 1942 map designers to try their hand at producing the most professional quality multiplayer map. This is without a doubt the most compelling - Battlefield 1942 Map Making contest ever held. Over the next 30-days, contestants can use the Battlecraft 1942 Map Editor (or an editor of their choice) to create their Battlefield 1942 multiplayer map with. Contestants must already have a working knowledge of these procedures as no support will be given on how to use the Battlecraft 1942 Map Editor.

About the Contest
    - Contest begins on November 19, 2003 and ends on December 19, 2003. No entries after this date will be accepted.
    - You will need a copy of Battlefield 1942 to participate in this contest.
    - You will need to download Battlecraft 1942, the map editor, in order to build a map for this contest. The Battlecraft 1942 v2.0 download can be found here
    - The map must be for original Battlefield 1942 or its expansion packs. We will not accept maps for mods.
    - The map must use existing original Battlecraft 1942 static objects, weapons, vehicles, and skins or those appropriate to the expansion packs
    - The map must support up to 32-players.
    - The map must contain the level icon that is displayed in the map selection screen, EG: The little picture of your level in the Create Game browser.
    - The map must be based on a real WW2 battle with an effort to represent the actual setting. It does not need to be identical in terms of terrain and vehicle load out, but the overall spirit of the battle should be maintained.
    - The map must contain a mini-map display (no empty or blank spaces will be accepted)
    - Maps containing 'floating objects' or ‘missing textures’ will be discarded.
    - We will only accept maps which maintain a framerate of 30 fps or higher on a min spec machine with 16 players. Keep an eye on framerate using the console command console.showfps 1. If your framerate drops below 50 and you're the only player in the level you have a problem.

How to Enter & Submit
    To enter, submit your self-created multiplayer map “ZIPPED-UP” and include the following items:

- The map.
    - A text file containing the following:
    - First and last name.
    - Email address (be sure this is correct as it will be our only method of contacting your if you’re chosen as a winner).
    - The following game information:
    - A description of the map. Something that tells us what kind of gameplay you are trying to accomplish with the map. Some background on the setting should also be provided.
    - Level name.
    - Name of all Control Points.
    - Briefing Text
    - One map submission per contestant.
    All “ZIPPED-UP” map submissions need to be uploaded to the 'FilePlanet' Submit a File page located here -: FilePlanet - Submit Map.

- In the “Short Description” field on this page, the user must provide the following text -- *Electronic Arts/PlanetBattlefield Map Making Contest* -- This will identify your file as a map for the contest.

Judging
    Sponsor’s staff members (Electronic Arts, Planetbattlefield and DICE), in their sole discretion, will select the winning entries based on the following criteria:
    - Gameplay - the map has to play well.
    - Visual Quality - including lightmaps, high-quality terrain, good textures, good detail map, accurate material map.
    - Balance of map - Axis and Allies should be balanced (they don't have to be symmetrical, but neither side should have an initial advantage)

The Prizes
    Ok, so you’ve said to yourself, what’s in it for me? After all, I’m the one doing all the work, right? Since Electronic Arts is sponsoring this event, rest assured the prizes will be grand. So grand in fact that we can’t wait to tell you about them. So here’s the skinny on the prizes:

*All winners will receive a full year subscription of GameSpy's Founder's Club package.

First Prize: Alienware Area-51 - Extreme PC
    Including: Battlefield 1942 - Road to Rome PC-CD game. Battlefield 1942 - Secret Weapons of WWII PC-CD game. Command & Conquer Generals - PC-CD game. Command & Conquer Generals - Zero Hour PC-CD game. Medal of Honor Allied Assault - PC-CD game. Medal of Honor Allied Assault - Spearhead PC-CD game. Medal of Honor Allied Assault - Breakthrough PC-CD game.

Second Prize: GeForce FX 5900 Video Card.
    Including: Battlefield 1942 - Road to Rome PC-CD game. Battlefield 1942 - Secret Weapons of WWII PC-CD game. Command & Conquer Generals - PC-CD game. Command & Conquer Generals - Zero Hour PC-CD game. Medal of Honor Allied Assault - PC-CD game. Medal of Honor Allied Assault - Spearhead PC-CD game. Medal of Honor Allied Assault - Breakthrough PC-CD game.

Third Prize: GeForce FX 5700 Video Card.

Fourth Prize: Battlefield 1942 - PC-CD game. Command & Conquer Generals - PC-CD game. Command & Conquer Generals - Zero Hour PC-CD game. Medal of Honor Allied Assault - PC-CD game. Medal of Honor Allied Assault - Spearhead PC-CD game. Medal of Honor Allied Assault - Breakthrough PC-CD game.

Fifth Prize: Revell - Monogram Spitfire Mk 11 model. Revell - Monogram B17 Flying Fortress model. Battlefield 1942 - Secret Weapons of WWII poster.

From planetbattlefield.com

So, if you guys are in the mood to win a top spec PC or to even show off your map making skills i think this is for you. I know its not for me :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

if i had some. I wouldn't mind getting into it though. Whats the best way to try and starting doing that kind of thing, like do u need to go to college to learn that stuff or can u just mess about with some software?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

the majority of people who do this are completly self taught. mess around with the software or get some good tutorials off the net.

i used to map for hl and mods and it was pretty easy, and you had a few different mapping programmes to mess around with [quark, worldcraft etc..] but the bf map editor just plain baffles me, dont think ill be going near it anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Originally posted by suppafly
    if i had some. I wouldn't mind getting into it though. Whats the best way to try and starting doing that kind of thing, like do u need to go to college to learn that stuff or can u just mess about with some software?

mmm, crunchie.

Official tool for mapping is Battlecraft. For information on the newist version of Battlecraft [v2.0] see this official Community Update thread. Battlecraft is 18mb and mirrors are on the thread. For help look among the many Battlefield Editing forums, the
    bf42.com editing forum is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Wished i had kept the maps i was working on now, I had to scrap them due to imcompatibility with the 1.1 bf editor

ah well

Shin

Advertisement