Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vapochill PSU

Options
  • 20-11-2003 7:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

I recently changed my pc over to a vapochill, and was already to get me some silent/overclocked pc-age going, but I ran into a bit of a problem. My psu was woefully inadequate to the task of powering it. I have since discovered that I need a 500W or stronger PSU that can hold a -12 rail.

Thing is, when I look at the specs of PSU's online, it never says that kind of info.

Does anyone know where a list of compatible vapochills might be, as I can't find one online, or even 1 compatible one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i've got a vapochill, picked up a 500w at peats for 60 euro maybe, works fine, no problems encountered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭TheSonOfBattles

Any idea what make it is by any chance? Just so I can look out for one meself. The only 500W PSU i've found round Wateford is by a company called Jeantech, if it's by them (doubtful) it'd be dead handy cause it'd mean i'd have it same day loike, instead of waiting a few days for it to come, and i'm really starting to miss all the Anime on my pc :(

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭BeatFreak

Gotta vapo over here too which was running on a 550W Antec which if you ask me is the way to go, dont get involved with no-name psu's or dodgy names like Codegen or Q-tec they are more likely to die at an early stage or drop voltages. For perspective I had a 350W Enermax psu in this machine with the following specs;

2600 AMD Athlon XP @ 2550 megahertz
    512mb Corsair Twinx PC4000 Dual DDR kit
    Abit NF7-S V2.0
    MSI MS-StarForce GeForce4 Ti 4800 (not anymore 8) )
    Sound Blaster Audigy 2
    WD Caviar 120 gig 7,200 rpm HD
    Samsung SpinPoint 160 gig 7,200 rpm 8mb Cache HD
    ASUS CRW-4816A.
    Samsung 16/48 DVD
    CPU cooling: Vapochill PE (Titanium)

And it held up just fine but after a few months I noticed quite high temps coming from the psu so i upgraded for safety.
    Hope this helps.
    Dev.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

An Antec True Power 480w should sort you out, there realitively quiet (not silent) and they have a fantastic rep...........

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

how easy is a vapochill machine to setup is it easier than watercooling?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

As far as im aware you have to cover the CPU and surrounding components in a sort of conductive gel which sounds a bit daunting to me :) . Since it comes as a case you dont have any of the cutting etc that you would if you buy a water cooling kit (which is nice). Ive heard its pretty straight forward......... might be worth investing ....... ill have to wait till next summer anyway!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭TheSonOfBattles

I bought the case second hand from Sheep, as when he bought it, he had a few probs meaning he couldn't keep it, so he sold it to me a week later. So the case was already assembled.

As for putting me motherboard and parts in, it was all pretty straight forward, but since i'd never done anything like this before, I asked Sheep to come round to help just in case. He spent most of his time watching some Bill Hicks and bitching at me, but his advice was much appreciated :D. The paste and stuff was all easy enough to put on, the only REALLY hard part is to put the two lockrings (tiny little circular rings that hold two bars in place) on. These took me nearly an hour to get in place altogether. So prepare to have sore fingers at that point. The rest of it only took a few mins tbh. So nothing to bad in total.

Anyways, thanks for the advice ya'll. ww)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

SonOfBattles what kinda temps are you getting??. I'd love to get some watercooling rig set-up in my box....so I can quieten down my PeeCee even more then it is( I'm aiming for silence:D ). But Vapochill sounds cool, do you have to "prep" the comp for one or two minutes before turning it on because of possible condensation problems????. I would not like that at all if that's true...how much did it cost you anyway??. What's the old noise like?.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭jow

Originally posted by TheSonOfBattles
    I recently changed my pc over to a vapochill, and was already to get me some silent/overclocked pc-age going, but I ran into a bit of a problem. My psu was woefully inadequate to the task of powering it. I have since discovered that I need a 500W or stronger PSU that can hold a -12 rail.

Thing is, when I look at the specs of PSU's online, it never says that kind of info.

Does anyone know where a list of compatible vapochills might be, as I can't find one online, or even 1 compatible one?
    Hi,

any idea of how much Amperes you need for the -12v?

I can send you the specs of the be quiet!-PSU's if you want.

They have listed the data in their datasheets.

Or have a look under: www.be-quiet.de. There you can find the datasheets as well.

Regards,

jow

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

the psu runnin my vapochill is a 550 watt qtec which i picked up at peats, as i was sayin it woks fine, no probs, as far as puttin the thing together its very straight forward, the instructions are easy to follow and very good so u should have no probs there,

if ur gonna be spending that amount on a case u may as well get aseteks waterchill unit as well 4 watercooling the graphics card/chipset, fits perfectly into the case and was also a breeze to install

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭BeatFreak

I've got mine holding at -15 which it does without too much trouble. In the past I had it holding at -25 but the compressor generally has some trouble keeping the temps that low and as a result tends to be kinda noisey as the compressor has to work that bit harder. Performance wise they're fantastic only problem I've had is the noise levels. Running the compressor ar 50% and the external fan at 100% (It's silent as far as I can tell - loverly fan tho 120mm x about 30mm deep shifts a whole lotta air). Now its far from unbareable but at the same time it's not silent. Is it me being picky or how do you guys find the noise?

Oh and as regards installing one, piece of piss to be honest well within your range of experience col_loki. But it would be handy to have someone who has installed one before at hand to give advice just so you don't thrash your new very expensive HW.

Advertisement