Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netgear DM602 DSL modem/router + WGT624 wireless router

• 20-11-2003 7:59pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

I'm having a hell of a time getting these two working together, anyone done it before? Long and the short of it is that the DM602 modem is fine on it's own, and I can get them working together a couple of ways, but after five minutes or so the connection slows to a crawl and then a halt. This includes the connection to the router, which leaves me having to reset the feckin thing every time.

I can't decide whether I'm doing something wrong and causing collision or if the blummin thing is just faulty. I've emailed both Netgear and the place I bought them (DSL Warehouse), but nothing back yet, so any help here would be mucho appreciado.

adam

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I have the WGT614 router with the DM602 and they run perfectly fine together, but I did have bit of a problem setting them up. I tried to use the modem in "router" mode with a subnet between it and the 614, and then the 614 routing my LAN, but that was total crap with a good 25% packet loss. I have no idea why!

Putting the 602 in "modem only" mode and letting the 614 deal with the internet connection username/password etc works perfectly, no packet loss, been up for several months no problems.

Dunno if that's any use with the WGR624 but good luck!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I tried that and it didn't work, but could you do me a favour and walk me through it, just in case I'm doing something silly? Pretend I'm a complete moron. (When it comes to networking, I am, so it shouldn't be much of a stretch. :))

Thanks,
    adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Sorry for not writing this sooner. Ok, assume moron..! Since you are getting traffic to the outside world you must be doing something right! :cool:

Ok, when I started I had no problem using the 602 on its own either, but then tried to set it up as a router with a network between it and the 614 (e.g. 192.168.0.x) and then another network on the "other" side of the 614 serving my LAN (e.g. 192.168.1.x). As I said before this got traffic to the outside world with roughly a 25% packet loss - it wasn't consistent and did seem to get worse over time. Either way, no good. I tried arsing about with various options (DMZ and such like) but made no difference (I asked advice from friends as to what these did and can't remember now....)

So sodding that, I put the modem in "modem" mode and set up the BB settings accordingly (there's a thread somewhere here that says what you need in Ireland) - unfortunately I cant access the modem setup pages as it's still set to a network that's not on my LAN (d'oh!) and I've forgotten the f'ing Admin password :mad: (I'm sure I can reset it if needed, but I'll worry about than when I have to!)

Then the router:
    Basic settings:
    does your connection require a login: Yes
    Inernet Service Providor: Other
    Login: <blahblah>@iolbb
    password:
    Service Name: <blank>
    Idle Timeout: currently set to 5 - dunno why really, stop any arse sending me packets that count to my CAP I guess..!
    DNS: Get automatically from ISP

Under WAN setup:
    Connect automatically: yes
    Disable SPI firewall: no
    Default DMZ server: not set
    MTU: 1492 (I've not changed this)
    Port speed: auto

Under LAN setup:
    IP Address/Subnet set accordingly (e.g. 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0)
    RIP direction: none
    RIP version: disabled
    Use router as DHCP server: yes

That's about it of interest I think, no static routes set up, port forwarding where needed by various apps, but none required for "normal" use...

Oh yes, one other vital thing I did was upgrade the firmware of both router and modem. I read somewhere (some UK site where I bought the things from) that to work together you needed to upgrade the firmware of one or other - cant remember which, so did both.

Did you say that routing traffic on your internal network via the router has the same problems you have to the outside world? If so and a firmware upgrade doesn't help then I think it might be faulty.

Good luck!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Thanks very much for that apk. I've been fiddling with the damn thing all week and I reckon I've tried just about every setup possible, to no avail. I've had it working with the DM602 operating as both a modem and a router; with them on different networks, the same networks; I've even swapped the cables around in case it was borked cat5. All for nowt, it works for five minutes, gets slower and slower, and just dies. Even the direct connection to the router.

In the end I reset the router, connected it directly to my computer and just tried pinging it directly. Bloody thing is dropping packets good-oh, about 4% packet loss. I'm guessing something's causing collision, which gets worse when it actually has to do routing. But I'm just guessing, I don't know. What I do know, is that it's going back. :)

I'll get a replacement though, so your post will still be useful. Thanks for your time.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jd72

Adam,

just wondering how you got on with these. I am looking @ going the same way as you - DM602 DSL modem/router + WGT624 wireless router + 2 *WGT511T Network cards - which I assume you are using, on ESAT Broadband. Would appreciate some feedback, did you get it working, are you happy with it/the support you received.

thx,
    jd.

• Advertisement
Advertisement