Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Too short for most women

• 20-11-2003 9:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭

I'm just over 5'9" tall in my bare feet which I think is a reasonable height. Not tall, but not too short either - pretty average. However, women don't seem to agree. Numerous times over the years I've had women tell me that I'm "short" or "stumpy" and make various mean comments about my height. I've often gotten these remarks from women who were themselves short (say 5'2-5'3") which is a bit rich. Everyone knows that women find short men a turnoff so where does this leave me?

Seems that these days every women wants a 6'5" tanned hunk who's 16 stone of muscle, is rich and has a high powered/high status job. Basically, today's woman is looking for an Adonis and in fact believes that she deserves such an man and to date an inferior man would be "settling" This is also a bit stupid coming from women who are often unattractive themselves. They could be fat little piggies who never do any exercise etc. Of course, it's NEVER EVER acceptable to tell them this - you'd get lynched - yet it's grand to bash a guy over something he has no control over such as his height.

Just recently I had an interesting conversation with a female workmate. The subject of height came up and of course I was referred to as "short" and she made a few spiteful comments about my lack of height. The interesting part is - we also discussed a friend of mine who works in the same company and is almost the exact same height and build as me. In fact he may even be be a shade shorter. Yet she described him as "tall" Why? Here's why - this guy has a very good job in senior management, has lots of status and power, a big salary, is a charismatic and very confident person. I firmly believe that because of these attractive qualities she projects another attractive quality i.e. tallness onto him

It's very bizarre when a female can perceive two guys who are the exact same height as "short" and "tall" Shows how messed up women's brains are IMO.

End of rant.

BrianD3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

They were prolly using your height as a metaphor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Eh, for what it's worth I don't consider 5'9'' short (I'm 5'3'' at a push myself). Status and power don't really impress me either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

Maybe she saw the two of you in the showers.... ;)

seriously though, Its about how you comport yourself, one of my best mates is 5'4'' and he has no problems at all with the laydees, he's just extremly confident and acts "big".
    From the tone of your post you're obviously very aware of your size and how you think it's affecting your life, and if you're like other "short" (5'9'' isnt short imo its average) guys I know you hve a chip on your shoulder about it, This alters people perception of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Dónall

I'm 5'9" and it's never ever been an issue; positive or negative. I'm going to be paranoid now ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i'm only 5'6-5'7 i consider myself short but it doesn't bother me. i think what people say about how you comport yourself is what matters. What would bother me is if some girl just flat out refused to go out me over height alone i.e. everything else was fine but the height then i'd be pissed but....saying that i wouldn't want to got out with some who wasn't happy with my height (my weight is another thing :) i'm in control of that, well more out of control but thats up to me) they just have to take me as i am.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭j0e9o

omg if ure 5,9 in feet then ure round about the 6 foot mark in shoes y r u worrying??

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Originally posted by thomasmckinless
    omg if ure 5,9 in feet then ure round about the 6 foot mark in shoes y r u worrying??
    Well if he was gaining 3 inches just through shoes, the chances are the women are rejecting him because he's wearing heels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Originally posted by Dónall
    I'm 5'9" and it's never ever been an issue; positive or negative. I'm going to be paranoid now ...

ditto, i'm 5'8, but i always suspected i was a little to short

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Maybe what they really mean is you are too stocky! If you are wide or have a thick neck or whatever, it can make you appear short. How much do you weigh?

i'm 5'8 and medium build - 12 stone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I'm 5'9" and just over 11 stone with a slim build and low body fat. So I'm definitely not stocky or fat.

BrianD3

maybe you slouch(sp?) you know, like you got bad posture

maybe you slouch(sp?) you know, like you got bad posture

Yes, I do slouch a bit when walking. I definitely don't walk bolt upright like some people. But the other guy i mentioned earlier who's the same height as me and is regarded as tall - he also slouches!

BrianD3

as my fellow short friend andrew once said to me:
    i was born a short-ass and i will die a short-ass, and only other short-asses will know my pain

to hell with it, once your lying down - its all the same anywayz;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭dazberry

Originally posted by BrianD3

Just recently I had an interesting conversation with a female workmate. The subject of height came up and of course I was referred to as "short" and she made a few spiteful comments about my lack of height.

Yeah, but what would have happened if you'd turned around and said she'd crap t1ts or an ass the size of a bus. If she thinks you're short then fine 'cos we all have our own opinions / tastes / perceptions, but if she has to be spiteful about it then she's only putting you down to make herself feel better - that's her problem not yours.
    Seems that these days every women wants a 6'5" tanned hunk who's 16 stone of muscle, is rich and has a high powered/high status job. Basically, today's woman is looking for an Adonis and in fact believes that she deserves such an man and to date an inferior man would be "settling" This is also a bit stupid coming from women who are often unattractive themselves.

Ok, people have their own tastes (and a range +/-) and thats their business. But if a guy went around with that sort of criteria (for girlz) he'd be quickly told that his standards were to high and it was his own fault. The opposite is that woman will moan about there being no nice men and when in a pack will normally find agreement. If a guy is single its his own fault because he can't get a girlfriend, if a girl is single it's every other guys fault although at the same time she has actually empowered herself to be single. TBH is all crap.

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Yes, I do slouch a bit when walking. I definitely don't walk bolt upright like some people. But the other guy i mentioned earlier who's the same height as me and is regarded as tall - he also slouches!

BrianD3
    Maybe your female workmates are just having a go at you cause you seem to care so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

maybe they are all bitches ...either that or you are just tooo paranoid dude. Im 5'6 to 5'7 and comfy wiff it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Brian, no offence, is it because you might seem a little scrawny? That can often unconsciously make women feel you aren't physically powerful and hence not "tall", where being "tall" doesn't necessarily refer to your physical height. A big presence you might say. Thin people who are perceived to be athletic can get away with it however but if you're not particularly athletic you might be viewed as shorter than you actually are. In any case 5'9 is bang on average. Nothing to be ashamed of there, nothing whatsoever. Most guys overestimate their height anyway, sounds better if you can say 6' but any woman who judged you on that basis probably isn't worth knowing anyway. Isn't it all realy relative to the height of the observer anway? As long as the bloke is 2-3" taller than their partner most women seem satisfied. So that lets you pick from all women up to 5'7 or so and considering that the national average for women is 5'4 I'd say you were doing alright man.

Don't worry about it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

It's very bizarre when a female can perceive two guys who are the exact same height as "short" and "tall" Shows how messed up women's brains are IMO

Surely if this is the case then it has nothing really to do with your height?
    Did you point out that the two of you were the same height?
    Why would you care what some silly woman with no perception has got to say?
    5’9” is by no means short, my last two b/f’s were this height.
    Perhaps it has something to do with your attitude? Think like your 7’ tall and you’ll come across that way!
    oh and btw
    good things come in small packages! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭misswex

God, I wouldn't class you as short at all!!!

Maybe its just the girls you are going for :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

You're not short at all! I'm 5' 9" myself and I wouldn't have a problem going out with a guy who's the same height as me. As someone has already said, if you're that height in your bare feet, then you're gonna be at least 5' 10" in shoes.

I do understand why women would have a complex about going out with a guy who's shorter than them....I went on a couple of dates with a guy who was a few inches shorter than me and it just felt really....odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Maybe she just doesn't really like you? :)

I'm 5'11", not short by any means, but not tall. Nicely middling I've always thought. I've had one or two people call me short from time to time, but usually because a scarily large proportion of my mates are touching 6'5" (Which, yes, is uncommonly tall), or they've seen me from a distance.

Most of these people have commented "Jesus, you're much taller than I thought", when standing near me.

5'9" is not small by any measure (unless you're a tree).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

That's not short. Why should it matter anyways?
    Next time somebody says it to you be a bästard and pick on something you don't like or you think is bigger/smaller than 'normal' about the way they look. It'll get them thinking about themselves and what they're saying at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

Originally posted by sunbeam
    Eh, for what it's worth I don't consider 5'9'' short (I'm 5'3'' at a push myself). Status and power don't really impress me either.
    Adventure, excitment; A woman cr...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Which is taller?

I'm much the same height (5'10") and have never really been considered short, although my build (quite thin, although not as thin as I used to be :o ) would add to the impression that I'm taller. I would say you're of a stout build or overweight - leading to an optical illusion that you're shorter than you actually are. At least that's my guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by The Corinthian
    I would say you're of a stout build or overweight - leading to an optical illusion that you're shorter than you actually are. At least that's my guess.

That's very true actually.
    btw your photo isn't working :OP

Brian, no offence, is it because you might seem a little scrawny?
    No offence taken. I am 11 stone 2 pounds and 5'9" which gives me a BMI of approx 23. Again, like the height, this seems a perfectly normal weight to me - however I have found that women have a different opinion and do think I'm scrawny. I've been called "skinny", "stick" and "like a whip" Normal BMI is between 18.5 and 25 so again this is just plain wrong - I'm far from underweight. At least the weight is something I can do something about. I have been making a big effort to put on weight and build muscle through resistance training and good diet. I've had some success with this - have gained over half a stone of muscle in the past few months. So at least I can't be accused of not trying. Unlike those fat women who sit around all day eating chocolate and then moan about how men won't date them cause they're too fat and how all men are bastards blah blah blah
    Maybe its just the girls you are going for
    I don't think so. I usually go for short women because I think I might have a better chance with them than with women nearer my own height. But it doesn't seem to work.

BrianD3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

I don't think so. I usually go for short women because I think I might have a better chance with them than with women nearer my own height. But it doesn't seem to work.

Then go for the types nearer your height and the ones that appear to have some idea of height. Also by choosing women on these grounds you are making height out to be a bigger issue that it is. Your 5'9, you've nothing to worry bout. Getting annoyed about something when the reality is something quite different is daft. If some woman says this to you again, who happens to be shorter than you, then say "Well I'm taller than you amn't I". Which politely implies that they are in fact the ones that are short and not you.

A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

lol

Who gives a fsck what some girl things? Jaysus man get over it.

btw I'm 5'7, and even following the rule of the girl being shorter, there's plenty of 'em out there :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭dazberry

Not that this is definitive, but any small (petite :D) girls I know tend to have a thing for big men. For example the smallest girl I know (she's about 4'6ish she's tiny) has always seemed to have big boyfriends. He ex-boyfriend was 6'4, I met him once and when he shook my hand, my hand completely disappeared in his. She got married to a guy recently who wouldn't be all that tall in comparison(maybe around 6') but is well built. I'm 5'11 (and 1/2 :)) myself and these guys always seemed big to me.

Maybe you need to find yourself a 6'+ Norwegian blond viking minx :D and if she has a sister, let me know ;)

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

Short People got nobody
    Short People got nobody
    Short People got nobody
    To love

They got little baby legs
    That stand so low
    You got to pick 'em up
    Just to say hello
    They got little cars
    That go beep, beep, beep
    They got little voices
    Goin' peep, peep, peep
    They got grubby little fingers
    And dirty little minds
    They're gonna get you every time
    Well, I don't want no Short People
    Don't want no Short People
    Don't want no Short People
    'Round here

--Randy Newman

Originally posted by dazberry
    Not that this is definitive, but any small (petite :D) girls I know tend to have a thing for big men.

It's a bit of a generalisation but not a million miles off the mark. It's again a case of the girl being attracted to a guy who can obviously protect her. Height doesn't matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Your problem is you give a ****. Try looking for women with that little twinkle of intelligence in their eyes, someone who can tell the difference between small and far away. Small... far away... small... far away.

You're taller than me btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭lena

Originally posted by henbane
    Short People...

They got little cars

er, it's a well known fact that small men tend to drive BIG cars, it's like the only time they get to feel BIG and powerful.

I think it's called 'small man syndrome'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Walls

Originally posted by Trojan
    Who gives a fsck what some girl things? Jaysus man get over it.
    How can it be that someone like you is single? Ya have to seriously wonder at the world we live in when that is the case...

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Originally posted by Beruthiel
    good things come in small packages! :D

That can so be taken out of context here.....especially as we're in a thread relating to mens sizes :P

Well i'm 5'8" and as far as i'm concerned 5'10" is average height, but I don't consider myself short. I just consider myself not AS tall as most of my m8's. It's never bothered me before. The only women who i've seen who are tall are women wearing 4 inch heals, and that's only them being slightly taller than me. If people are worried about it then they're too stuck up on appearances and character matters now. If someone won't date you because of your height then it's their loss - chances are some day they'll be rejected by the person they really want because 1. They're so superficial they attach themselves to someone equally as superficial and shallow, and 2. Because everybody has flaws - and chances are they're going to show theirs. Wether it be immaturity, lack of intelligence, personality, or looks, or even physical attributes. Either way - don't let it bother you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

today's woman is looking for an Adonis and in fact believes that she deserves such an man and to date an inferior man would be "settling" This is also a bit stupid coming from women who are often unattractive themselves. They could be fat little piggies who never do any exercise etc.

lol

well said that man...!

i dont think 5.9 is to short, but then again im not a chic.. im about 6 foot and have never been told this so i have no experience, i just started laughing at the comment above and felt the need to back it up :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Atreides

All i can say is that being tall hasn't been of much benefit to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

I'm a fairly short guy (5'5 or 5'6) and I've had a couple of gfs who said they prefer shorter guys to taller ones (and both were shorter than I). Still I've never been with anyone taller than me and I don't think I'd like to tbh, but who cares as long as there are short girls out there who prefer short guys. The avergae female is only abotu 5'4 or sth so it's all good :) don't be worrying about it.

Originally posted by Walls
    How can it be that someone like you is single? Ya have to seriously wonder at the world we live in when that is the case...

:D

lol

I am actually single cos I just broke up with my (4'9") ex :)
    (ladies beware)

--

Dude, it's nothing to do with height - get over it. The attitude "Too short for most women" is your problem right there.

And just for a minute think about this - can you imagine the hassle it must be for really tall guys when there's a gorgeous cutie who's just too small for 'em?

Al.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Aww diddums... did the fat little dumpling slate your height?

I'm your height and I've had girlfriends as tall as 6 ft (a German chick.. (white pride etc)).

Anyway.

Lots of tall chicks are into shorter men, in fact I'd say the majority of women over say 5'10, (few and far between as they are) go for short men, in the 5'5 mark.

You must have seen this sort of thing around town.

Generally, if a chick isn't as tall as me, she has no reason to call me short.

More to the point, unless she has better biceps, she'd better get back into the kitchen (her natural envrionment) and cook... whilst I go out and slay animals for the food.

Roll on women's lib I say... anything's good for a giggle these days.

*grin*.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I'm 6'2" once kissed a girl who had to stand on a block to reach on her tip toes.
    Its all about you attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

I'm 6 ft tall. I remember meeting a friend of the GFs who described me as IIRC "weedy". I was about 10 or 11 stone at the time. Turns out the friend is a laser beam. No Really. And she is still our friend.
    Confidence and how you comport yourself will probably make you stand out more than your height. 5' 9" isn't short, but if you hang around with basketball players, you'll feel short(er). I know I do...

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Cheer up.
    The average height of Irish men is 5' 7"
    The average height of Irish women is 5'5"
    Raymond O'Brien is the shortest person in Irish history. The midget, who died in 1795, was one foot eleven inches tall

From http://www.shanemcdonald.com/laughs/l-ireland-and-the-irish.html

Btw, 250k for a house in dublin by '05? Haven't we passed that? Could be out of date!

Mark:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

Originally posted by lena
    er, it's a well known fact that small men tend to drive BIG cars, it's like the only time they get to feel BIG and powerful.

That's discriminatory - all men need a good quality 4-wheeled penis to drive around town.

The average height of Irish men is 5' 7"

I've heard that "stat" quoted before but I reckon it's misleading. Most of the guys I know are taller than me, some substantially taller (6'3"+) At a guess, I'd say the average height of an Irish male in his twenties is 5'11" - 6'. The 5'7" average might be because older people are generally smaller and drag the average down - people shrink as they get older - my dad used to be 5'10" but now that he's in his sixties he's 5'8" Also, I've heard it said that previous generations were shorter anyway because of poorer nutrition etc. Not sure about that. But certainly I rarely see men over the age of 50 who are taller than me, yet men my own age are almost all taller.

BrianD3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

I am 5'6" tall, and went out with women taller than me. Guess I had something they wanted.

In any case, lying down I was 'taller' than them:eek: I used to have a great laugh about lifes 'little' ironies!.

P.:ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭spooiirt!!

Originally posted by Skanger
    All i can say is that being tall hasn't been of much benefit to me.

exactly, me too.
    well except that smaller people are afraid of me. mwa ha ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Im 5 ft 10, and for a girl, taller than the average. I dont think 5 ft 9 is short at all. Ive only been with one person who was taller than me, but Im certainly not picking people based on their height. Im easily above 6ft when I go out (with heels, obviously) and a lot of the time most men are shorter anyways. Ive never had anyone tell me I was too tall, so I dont see why you're "too small".

Anyway, we're all the same size lying down....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Originally posted by lena

they're compensating for something, just like lord Farquaad :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement