Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

noisy computer

Options
  • 20-11-2003 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

how can I reduce the noise my "gateway" makes?Its 3 years old.Are newer ones any quieter?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭j0e9o

nothing really to do with ur operating system i suggest u post this in the hw teaking forum where they should be able to help u out

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Is it a grinding, clicking or "whooshing" noise?

Is it a "Bad Noise™"?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Kick it and say shhh! Seriosly though, only a few things are going to make noises. Fans, hard drive, and cd rom drives when reading / writing. Probably something else i'm forgetting. Depending on the spec of your computer you should be able to upgrade / replace the noisy part for a newer, more quieter version... Maybe..

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭rocco

Kick the thinh honestly it works :o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

throw in a seagate hard drive, some kind of heatsink for the cpu, and grab a silent psu...
    not sure if acoustic damping matts are worth using...

a newer model may or may not be quieter, low spec machines generally ship with the cheapest, noisiest components... but buying a top of the range pre built pc rarely guarentees silence, you'd need to build one yourself for that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

egg cartons
    extension cables

check your fans - they wear out and get noisy - dont' forget the PSU fan.

Don't kick it - think of a hard drive like a record player - you don't want the record scratched..

Defrag the HDD - unload all junk in the background that you don't need running - the HDD should be quiter if less busy. You could even use powersaving to turn off the HDD when not using it. ..

make sure it is not leaning against an echo chamber - some presses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭emmemm

Its fans.Like the egg boxes idea. Should look pretty too.
    Thanks all.

Advertisement