Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SVCDs play fine on PC but no sound when played on TV/DVD

Options
  • 20-11-2003 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭

I burned an SVCD(1) of a movie using Nero 6 which plays fine on the PC, insert disc, PC recognises SVCD, offers to open to view files or play with Media Player etc.
    Problem is when I try to play it on my DVD player to watch it on the TV the picture plays but the sound does not.
    DVD player Black Diamond BD24DVD is supposed to play SVCDs ok. Connected to TV directly through SCART lead if that makes any difference.
    Biggest bummer is this is the first VCD I have burned which the player actually recognised and tried to play.
    Any pointers?
    Does PAL vs. NTSC make a difference with VCDs? Although the player is supposed to support both.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

I had a similar problem on my player, no sound on VCD's/SVCD's.
    The solution was so simple and yet I overlooked it.

There was a button on the remote that said "L/R"
    When you press it, it changes the sound options, Left Mono, Right Mono, Stereo and
    Mix Mono.

When I set it to one of the mono options, the sound worked fine.
    Something got to do with the sound encoding on VCD's/SVCD's

Hope that works for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Had my hopes up there for a minute Ryo but unfortunately that's not it.
    When I press the audio button on the remote it cycles through audio unknown 1/2 and audio unknown 2/2, whatever that means. Could it be the audio on the Svcd is encoded with a codec other than the one my player uses? Do mpegs/vcds even use codecs other than MPEG1 (or is it 2) ?

No thats the wrong button, thats the button for cycling through DVD Audio Tracks, Eg Directors Commentary etc.

There must be another button, or setting in the menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭captainpat

There's a good chance that the audio codec is not on your PC. Try downloading a program called GSPOT.EXE. It analyses your file and tells you what codecs were used in making it. (Be careful where you get it, as there is a virus with the same name.) I think Download.com has it, check with Google.

Divx.com has a good library of codecs, get one of the codec bundles from there. Or, horr of horrors, K*a*z*a*a Lite has a codec bundle that covers most needs. But check with Gspot, that'll tell you if you're missing something essential.

Most codec package bundles will install to where they're needed for playing.

Edit: Just had a look, here is the link for GSPOT.EXE. The google results will scare you!

http://www.divx-digest.com/software/gspot.html

The SVCD plays FINE on his PC, it wont play on his DVD-Player

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭captainpat

Ryo,

Doh!!

Back to the thinking room:rolleyes:

Thanks.

Advertisement