Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever bought a console just for one game?

Options
  • 21-11-2003 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭

Seems like those days are rare, but have you ever bought a console on the strength of one game? I probably got a Nintendo 64 because of Super Mario 64, and I definetly got an Xbox because of Halo.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Bought a PS2 to play GT2. Sold the lost 6 months later:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i'll be getting a cube mostly for metroid prime...

i've had the pleasure of sampling viewtiful joe & fzero, so it's not purely for mp any more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

ps2 - ffx

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

The sole reason I bought my first playstation was to save money on the then astounding Ridgeracer, which was almost perfect translation imo. I bought a ps2 to play the sublime SSX tricky and a Gameboy to play Tetris. So, in short, yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

:D i bought a new pc so i can play Doom 3 and X2 - the threat ... both of which wont be out untill ....oh i dont know when the Sun goes nova

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Got my Playstation all those years ago on the strength of a few hours playing Gran Turismo. Never bought another game for it iirc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Saturn: Virtua Fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Yup. I got the N64 for Ocarina of Time and bought my Gamecube to play Wind Waker.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

yeah i played a mate of mine n64 , goldeneye was deadly , so i just had to have my own !!!!!
    dang

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

N64 for Mario 64...... Sold it 6 months later. Then bought another one when Ocarina came out! (Sold that 6 months later again!) :)

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

it took me 2 years to fork out for a ps2 just to play final fantasy x. would have bought one sooner but my pc was good enough to play all new games then. bought the gamecube with the sole intention of playing zelda to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

I got a Dreamcast for Jet Set Radio, and an Xbox for Jet Set Radio Future!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭vac

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Originally posted by super_furry
    Yup. I got the N64 for Ocarina of Time

Same. The Nintendo I got came with goldeneye as well so I was well chuffed!! I think I sold it at some point. I think I did....no wait I did. It's not just gathering dust.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I usually don't get a console unless theres a must have game on it. Didn't buy my PS2 for a whole year until GTA and Devil May Cry came out. Didn't get my GC until Resident evil was out. The GBA was a no-brainer, F-zero and a castlevania available at launch.

Haven't got a crap console for one game although I did want a 32X just for doom.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Lyconix

I was once tempted to buy a PS2 just for Gran Turismo 3 and Pro Evolution Soccer. Managed to resist the temptation, though... the extortionate price of the PS2 at the time put me off as well.

Pro Evolution 3 will be coming out on PC, which is pleasing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

I bought a PS2 for GTA3, Sold later and i bought an Xbox for halo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

bought gc for zelda, but having bought it several months before zelda i also got other games.

then after i completed zelda i sold the machine on to one unsuspecting victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

bought a playstation for wipeout

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭TheSonOfBattles

Bought an N64 purely for Zelda 64, in fact I bought the game before I bought the console, and then played the game on a mate's N64 till I bought it off him. :D

I did the same with another friends psx. Bought Final Fantasy VII to see what all the fuss was since the mate was broke, and he was the only one of us had a psx. Loved the game so much had to buy me own psx so I could play it more.

Bought a PS2 solely for Final Fantasy X, that GTA: Vice City was just out was a nice bonus though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

N64 Purely for Goldeneye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Roller Toaster

Xbox for Halo, SNES for Mario Allstars and PS2 for Vice City.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

i also bought a playstation just to play final fantasy 7. had to sell my n64 to get it though, was a bad move to as zelda came out the year later and i had to "borrow" a mates n64 and take a week off school pretending to be sick to play it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

I bought an N64 just for Goldeneye. Subsequently, I sold it less than four months later after I'd completed and played both Ocarina of Time and Goldeneye to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

buoght a N64 basically for Goldeneye , but then went on to buy about 40 games over the next few years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Caffine

n64 goldeneye/zelda :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

ps2 for the gtas of this world

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

In retrospect, I remember alot of people buying a Nintendo 64 solely for Goldeneye. Then in a few months later, many sold it off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭kano476

bought a gameboy for pokemon. bought ps2 for ssx.

Advertisement