Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom offer

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭visigoth

Does it really matter about the price, or the caps? Jebus, stop moaning already.

BB rules, no matter which service provider you go with, it's faster, faster, faster.

For years in ireland we have had to settle for LESS than 56kbps connections, or 128k ISDN. It's only quite recently that Irish internet users have been spoilt for choice with BB, and all the different BB ISPs.

Man, I've been an internet user in Ireland for over 6years, and I'm so crazy happy with BB because i've had to put up with such terrible speeds for such a long time.

But, yeah, it IS expensive here. But BB is new. Any new technolgies that come to us, start out expensive, look at mobile phones for example. AND, you really can't do a price comparison to other European countries where BB has been around for years.

The price will drop in the future. Just give it time.

Visi.

ps: don't moan, feel sorry for the ppl that can't even get BB... *sob* those poor, poor children... won't somebody PLEASE think of the children...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by visigoth
    Does it really matter about the price, or the caps? Jebus, stop moaning already.
    Well, yes.
    Any new technolgies that come to us, start out expensive, look at mobile phones for example
    DSL is hardly new anymore, even in Ireland so this "reason" isn't really vaild anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭visigoth

Just trying to get the point accross that we're better off with BB (even with high prices, caps, etc) than with 56k connections (oh the horror!) and it's beyond me why ppl keep complaining.
    We are better off, aren't we?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

For those of "us" that can get it, in a way yes.
    But that's a discussion for the IOFFL boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

visigoth I agree with you on almost everything you have stated.

For years we got gipped with a crappy service that was overpriced. Now we do have access to very affordable DSL for those of us lucky enough to be in area's that support it. I dont care how much cheeper it is in other countries or how long they have had access to it. This is ripoff Ireland were living in and all I know is my phone bill has dropped by a 6th since I got DSL in :)

The one part of your post I disagree with is about it getting cheeper in time. Eircom are greedy rat whoring skull screwing scumbags, always have been and always will be. Therefore the price of any of there products will never drop in price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭captainpat

The attitude that we should be eternally grateful for eircom allowing some "colleague" companies to rip us off on their inflated wholesale rates is what keeps this country in slavery. Just because it is better than three years ago doesn't mean that it even approaches being good. We are a cowardly bunch of consumers, thoroughly under the thumb of every industry that sells to us. In everything, we pay more than almost everybody on earth for a very mediocre service.

The comparison with mobile phones is the ideal one. Far from having the technology drive down the prices, it was the sheer volume of use that allowed the suppliers to drip a reduction through to the consumers, while ensuring that total revenues continued to soar.

There is no competition in Ireland. The consumer has absolutely no say, and those who are appointed to care for their interests seem to care more about their Company Cars and early pensions than protecting the valid expectations of communications users.

The brown envelopes may be gone, but they have been replaced by e-contracts and Board seats in the future. Meantime, just endure and hope.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Now we do have access to very affordable DSL for those of us lucky enough to be in area's that support it.

Approx; €600 euros a year plus line rental is still a lot of money for some people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Synkronite

Originally posted by LoGiE

This seems in contrast to the poor pings for IOL and slow downloads not to mention throttling and IBB I believe isnt great for pings.

IOL do NOT throttle users..
    Downloads are just as fast as Eircom (From my experiences)
    And pings are actually better for me (Which Ive already posted..)

While the latter two may be judgemental, the first isnt.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by dub45
    I do not think that any of the ISP's will give a guaranteed minimum speed.

Well yes and no to that
    BT in the UK will check line for faults if your getting under 30k/sec on a fast FTP (for example there own)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Just trying to get the point accross that we're better off with BB (even with high prices, caps, etc) than with 56k connections (oh the horror!) and it's beyond me why ppl keep complaining.

You see the problem with this is...the Gov apparently wants everyone on the net but how is this going to happen with high prices and only available in certain areas.

Oh and if you do get DSL and little Johnny decides he wants to download the new'est latest and greatest game demos and he goes over the cap EirCON can charge you a arm and a leg, now if this happens and Johnny's parents have to fork out 500E you think there friends will want to get DSL?
    No they'll properly stay with dial-up.

Also the point of it taking ages for people to get DSL even if it is in there area.

Lets compare this to the UK,

Large Majority of ISP's have NO CAP whatsoever!!

DSL can be ordered from any ISP and is usually set-up
    in 10-14 days

You don't need to provide a phone bill to your ISP when ordered DSL (like you have to do with Esat because Eircon require it)

Last time I looked 72% of the UK can get Broadband

Prices, ok I'm not going to go into this much... :-D
    1MB DSL here costs 3 times more then UK

Oh and you can get a 26MegaBit Connection in Japan from Yahoo-BB for around €43.00 a month

so, why should we be happy with the service we're getting, we get taken from every side when you get DSL here, its a joke.

If we don't complain we get NOTHING, so lets go back and not complain about not having any kind of flat-rate product from Esat/Eircom/UTV
    now fast forward to now and see what that gets you...NOTHING

In saying all of the above I do have DSL its Esat Business 512K :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Cabaal I was just stating that I was glad to get cheeper and faster access to the net than i used to have when 56k and ISDN were the only overpriced options open to me. Of course I want it cheeper and faster with a "real"* unlimited download cap, but its still better than what I used to have.

* lying Netsourse rat buggering swines.

Advertisement