Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any real evidence?

• 21-11-2003 1:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭

Over the past two years, many threads in many forums (?) have been taking up bandwidth over the relative Caps and potential charges for exceeding them. This is not just about eircom, but every ISP who made an offer has been praised for 5 minutes, and then attacked for ever over implementing a Cap of from 3GB/mth to 30 GB/mth, the current ranges. as declared by various ISPs.

O.K. We have heard all the rhetoric and speechifying, but there still remains a question which has been asked many times, but never answered:

"Has anybody ever been actually charged money on their account for exceeding their monthly cap/limit/acceptable use"?

I know that I exceeded my threshold on many occasions, but was not charged. I cannot follow every thread in every broadband-related forum, but I have not seen one report of an actual charge. So unless those who were hit got cut off straight away, it is a bit mysterioud what all the fuss is about.

So, what's the story, to coin a phrase?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

I know various IOL users cut off for exceeding their cap by like 4GB and many Netsource users have been throttled. Only Eircom, surprisingly, have been lenient in any regard. Don't know anything about UTV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭captainpat

Thanks, MR.Taz for reply.
    I agree that various actins have been noted loudly on all Broadband forums about what happens when you exceed these silly limits, but nothing involving actual money charges anywhere, despite all complaints.

The various ISPs are entitled to do their best to discourage me and others from using their resources to best advantage, but I wonder is there some legal reason why they have held off from actually billing broadband customers for perceived "abuse" or "over-use" of their service?

eircom have come in for a great deal of criticism over their service, but very few who actually use the service have had reason to complain. I am one who agrees with all the Corporate criticism of the Arrogance, "Biddies", incompetence etc., but I also have no complaint with what I got for the Expensive service (by Irish standards). They are due some credit for that, even if they are also due for major criticism for lack of enthusiasm, delays, blocking competition unfairly, line splitters, line quality failures, and a few other things.

But once you decide to go with them, they are pretty good, I have to reluctantly admit.

Is there a mind-scrambling device in their supplied modem which made me say that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Serbian

Originally posted by captainpat
    eircom have come in for a great deal of criticism over their service, but very few who actually use the service have had reason to complain.
    I think people's problems aren't with the service itself. The fact that people reselling a service that is being provided by Eircom themselves can charge less than them and also have a greater 'Download Allowance' would be people's greatest quibble. Looking at the RADSL connection alone, I'm sure that there is little / no difference between Eircom / IOL / UTV / Netsource (unless you are being throttled of course ;))

Advertisement