Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Japan!

• 21-11-2003 2:33am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3278375.stm

An excerpt from the above article:

'Japanese surfers clearly have a good deal. Yahoo BB's 26Mbps package costs just 3,838 yen, or about £20 per month, which is around £10 cheaper than the new BT deal.

The Japanese package includes modem rental, the service provider fee, and a subscription to the company's IP (Internet Protocol) phone service, BBPhone, offering dirt-cheap phone calls.

For an extra 1,000 yen, there is a wireless LAN pack available. On top of all that, the whole caboodle is free for the first three months'

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

how depressing

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭cmdrpaddy

its worse than that even, i remember talking to a japanese guy once who told me that the standard connection in all new appartment buildings is 100Mbp/s. And you dont even have to go to Asia to beat Irealnd, Scandinavian countries have us beat too, not to mention every other European country with the exception of Greece:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

1/2 meg connection, wooo!!

oh wait....

**becomes upset** thats not fair. 28mbps!!! At least we know we'll have that kind of deal within the next few centuries.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Yeah Sweden and the like have been on broadband for a long long time.

They're using Cable if I remember correctly.

That's some nice speeds.

That faster than T3? Sounds it... Sure DCU's connection is only 63 Mbits/s, UCC is 100 Mbits/s and UCD is 125 Mbits/s. There's more of course but you get the idea.

Very very nice speeds.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

If you ever use direct connect you will notice that the sweesish connections are always the quickest.
    I have downloaded from college at approx 600kb/sec from a home computer in sweeden.

What can we offer them in return ummm 14kb/sec or 28kb/sec upload at most :O

Chief.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Why in God's name would a home user need a 100 meg line? Why? How many web servers run on a line that speed? How many other people on p2p are going to have a line that fast?
    Madness. 1 meg is more than enough for me...

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Originally posted by Chief---
    If you ever use direct connect you will notice that the sweesish connections are always the quickest.
    I have downloaded from college at approx 600kb/sec from a home computer in sweeden.

What can we offer them in return ummm 14kb/sec or 28kb/sec upload at most :O

Chief.

sweedish connections are the best - no question. love DC do be downloading in my gaff at about 240kb/s off them (dual cable) and like my upload is a shambles to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

jesus H 26meg a sec it's totaly pointless but for 20 dollors a month why the hell not

wish i had even the ablity to get 5meg a sec with out the need for Nasa to fund it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭qBot

Originally posted by eth0_
    Why in God's name would a home user need a 100 meg line? Why? How many web servers run on a line that speed? How many other people on p2p are going to have a line that fast?
    Madness. 1 meg is more than enough for me...

It seems fine now, but a few years ago, downloading films was unheard of, who knows what you'll be downloading in a year or two, uncompressed dvd's maybe, how bout games that are 4gb each. u can't complain about progresson. what seems big now , may seem tiny in a few years. take hard drives for instance, in 94 the average hd was 600mb, now u can get them well over 200gb

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

what seems big now , may seem tiny in a few years.

Remember when you could carry so so much on a floppy? 1.4mb?

And when a cdrom seemed to offer enormous storage space?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

why would you even need 25 mb !?
    what exactly will you download - LEGALLY !!!!!

its probably good for business but just crazy talk for us people.
    crazy talk i tell you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Dont be ridiculous if you guys dont want 26Mbps I'll take it!!!:eek:. But of course the problem with this is it's in Japan.....not in Ireland so why are you trying to depress us backward unfortunates with our miserable 512Kbs.. :(....maybe one day *wish*ww)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭BigO

that seems a bit insane to me 26mb is over the top!
    would i be rigth in saying that most home computers cant store data that fast!

yes remember sweeden is a rich country and it snows alot so they need internet so they don't go crazy!

and have you ever talked to an interersting sweedish person?
    no!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭drrnwbb

Originally posted by BigO
    yes remember sweeden is a rich country and it snows alot so they need internet so they don't go crazy!

and have you ever talked to an interersting sweedish person?
    no!

you havent talked to many swedish people then i would presume :)

here in finland, all apartment blocks built by the student housing authority ("hoas" for the helsinki region) have broadband built into them.

ours has a free dsl connection. there is four dsl connections in the apartment all together, the other 3 are about 3euros extra per month. no caps. it is only 256/128, but its free, so im not complaining (too loudly)

dw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Cuan - I see your point, and those crazy Japanese are always cutting edge, but as Placebo says, what can you download like that _legally_? I haven't downloaded 3 divx's this morning, I swear ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Originally posted by eth0_
    what can you download like that _legally_?
    For something like video-on-demand, which the broadband industry has been promising for a long time now, you would need those kinds of VDSL speeds.
    would i be rigth in saying that most home computers cant store data that fast!
    LAN's have been running at 100Mb, 4 times as fast, since 1995. Your internet connection will never be too fast.

yeah thanks for clearing up that storage thing i wasn't really sure!

and

drrnwbb

you failed misserably when you tried to argue my point abouts sweedes being borin peeps

and im happy that "hoas" is giving you a life!

i bet its snowin in scandavavia!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Jesus H. Christ lads.

Whip off the blinkers.
    HDTV on demand will require far more the 26Mb to actually work.

A virtual world with full 3d (real people, presented virtually) will require decent bandwidth (100Mbit+?)

Offboard file storage (26/8 = 3.25 MB/s pretty shoddy compared to modern hard disks)

hundreds of other app's will emerge.

tribble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭drrnwbb

drrnwbb
    you failed misserably when you tried to argue my point abouts sweedes being borin peeps

and im happy that "hoas" is giving you a life!

i bet its snowin in scandavavia!

yeah, man, just started snowing today. we'll have it for the next four months. i presume you've never been up north? (sorry for all the presumptions)

i've a mate living in japan (fukui i think), and he says dial up rates there are very very high, so although this 26mbs thing is there, its not all sunshine and lollipops for the japanese.

dw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Kenshin

The DSL service in Japan is not only awesome, but you also get hot japanese chicks offering DSL and phone services on the streets. Just how can you say no?

Pic from when I was in Japan 2 months ago:
    .slide_DSC00174.JPG

Advertisement