Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

muppetry

Options
  • 02-11-1999 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭

my previous message was edited. cool. really living up to the spirit of cyberspace.

anywhoo.
    It merely said that i cant understand why the word muppet is used so much
    after seeing the postings of a couple of quakers, i muse that perhaps it is a mechanism to promote the cult of the community. lets not let new people in. lets create our own language to discourage them. maybe this is bull****. taht isnt relevant.

anyway. down with the word muppet forever.
    excelling excelsior

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Muppet is a cool word for describing gimps who don't have a clue about stuff in general and computer stuff a little less generally.
    What we need is a new derogatory term for people suffering from cyber-delusional persecution complexes.
    Any suggestions ???????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 el_pres42

those who us muppet could be called s-h*i.t-cool.
    any takers?

[This message has been edited by el_pres42 (edited 02-11-99).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

gimps? how old are you. 12?
    yes. i wear leather and dance on tables for businessmen. for money. to sexually stimulate them.
    stuff generally?
    like what? economics? the sausage maunfacturing process? flamenco music?
    and does it apply to people who dont know about computers or just peopel who dont seem to share your opinions on quake?
    just asking pastor

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Vorosha

I, me personally, never guessed at the proper meaning to the word 'muppet'. Thinking it rather simplistic. A 'muppet' being a furry puppet from a popular t.v. series. I just always presumed there was a large puppet community within on-line gaming. Are you not all puppets? Is this simply a word used to 'abuse' others? An adjective? If so than I must apologise for my behaviour over the last few years BUT, only after you apologise to The Muppets.

• Advertisement

very glib response people. im impressed, but it confuses me further why you'd be so enamoured with such a bland word like muppet.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Why are you obsessing about the term muppet and taking it all so personally.

People use the term muppet mostly in a non-quake oriented fashion. ie: there are people who have been playing for years and are still crap and noone calls them "muppets".

I've seen lots of new players who have been accepted into the community without a problem. Its the ones who come along with the attitude that they dont have to respect the existing community and whats been built who generally get a short answer.

the word to note there is "respect" not subservicience, ass-licking or any indication of a lower status.

Take Amp for example. He arrives on the scene, makes a few decent/useful comments on the boards and when Dublan came round he pulled out the stops to help me even tho I didnt know the man from Adam. You dont see anyone calling him a muppet.

An example of a "Muppet" on the other hand is the idiot who thought that he could spam the entry form for Dublan with false names and crap info and think I wouldnt notice...

Hope this helps, and be less defensive we're a pretty welcoming bunch if you leave your attitude at the door.

DeV.

example of my "attitude" please?
    i understand you will have problems with vandals, but i dont deserve the treatment
    Some of the other newbies dont either
    they've just noticed some things and pointed them out
    you should be big enough to take that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Oh go on then, I'll bite. Do regale us with these ground-breaking insights of yours.

Teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

hey, 'muppet' is better than 'llama', which is in general use in the UK. 'VVanker' also does the trick smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭adra

did anyone not see that film "long stock and 2 smoking barrels" or whatever its called....with Vinnie Jones......
    he used the term muppet.....so why are you not writing all this on someplace that those scipt writers will see it, or even write to them!
    it's not just us who uses that term.

hehh muppet...it's cute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Take it

Muppet is a well known term in my area and is constantly used "Hes a bleedin muppet"etc. its not only used on the web. tongue.gif

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

"Your" and "you" were meant in general terms Excelsior (ie: "one should leave...") not directed specifically at you. Perhaps you'd like some sauce for that chip??

I dont see any new players getting harrassed here, point them out and I'll be the first to jump to their defense.

However this is definitely a dark back alley of the Irish Internet... not as dark as some but you would still want to be able to handle some rough-and-tumble.

You could turn this entire thing on its head and say "where does Excelsior get off making wild claims that we abuse new players... wtf does he think he is coming here and throwing his objections around..."

But its an interesting point you raise, it cant be denied...

DeV.

[This message has been edited by DeVore (edited 02-11-99).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Amp is a muppet tho' he stole my pendrell flux.!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

The term muppet is not new in the Quake scene at all. It orginally meant someone who claimed to be UberPlayer/Haxor of Quake but was just a lot of noise. (People who act as if someone has thier hand up thier ass)

But it's migrated into a broad term to mean just about anything. Go see "Donnie Brasco" scene where he's explaining "Forget about it".

If it makes you feel any better we could add muppet to the censor list.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ste

fu[king muppet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

for a moment i was worried that Hobbes wasn't going to have any input on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

WWMan is catching up on posts. smile.gif

Barely even read the Quake board anymore, just full of people byatching about Pings/players or falling for the newbie trollers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Ah but you see Dev, you did know Amp from Adam, cos his name is actually Adam!! oh the irony smile.gif not to mention the goldy and the bronzey.

Thank God I wore my corset cos i fear my sides have split etc etc. smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

I dunno about the rest of the lads from Dublin but I've heard the word used a lot around here, and I've used it aswell.

It isn't just a 'term' to annoy and confuse people like Exelsior... although maybe we should make up a few to do just that.

Kegs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

DEV!

you say you dont know amp from adam....

actually i know amp very well and guess what his name is????

ADAM!

just thought id let you know smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

bugger, just read castors post.. damn you conor.
    damn you to hell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Ooh, this thread took longer than usual to degenerate into silliness smile.gif

BTW the term muppet (along with "llama" and the precursor to llama, the "lamer") has been used on the computer scene for longer than I can remember - going back ten years to when I first started messing about with BBSs, those were still the "insults du jour"... But never meant in a particularly derogatory fashion, they were more a light-hearted "throwing my eyes to heaven and wondering who this person who does not have a clue is" kind of throwaway comment...

Don't get hung up on it. I've been at this stuff for the best part of a decade, and I still get called "muppet".... This may be something to do with sucking at FPS games, I dunno... smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Vorosha

This thread :

Point, counter-point.

OR more like

Pointless, counter-pointless.

The response is gratifying. Still my arguement was as frivolous as, I dont like the word muppet, and would like to know why it has such popularity here. Now I understand. Kegser's response however, hits the nail right on my muppet head. wink.gif
    My real aggravation is that yoiu guys have this whole defensive attitude which makes it really difficult for newbies to get into this whole Quake thing. de Vore, thanks for your responses, they were excellent, and maybe it's a case of paranoia or reactionism, but just give it some thought. Quake can only be bettered by including as many people who really want to play as we can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Exelsior,

I have only been hanging around these boards for a couple of months and therefore am a newbie (now theres an annoying term). I would say very few here know who I am. That said I have never encountered any closedness on the part of the community(?) nor have I encountered any sourness, bad nature or defensiveness.
    I would say that any time someone joins a new group (work, friends, net, whatever) they should sit back, look and listen to get a feel for the group and how its members interact before they wade in with criticisms, as replies can be misconstrued.

Nice helpful bunch of people here generally.

I've bennlistening for months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

theres a can.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Ok I've been away for a bit and I see my name(s) have popped up a couple of times and I just like to clear up a few things.

1. I am in fact a muppet, I was the green one with the stick on nose in epsiode 42 of the Muppet Show.

2. Sheron, the Pendrell Flux is strong within me.

3. My real name is not in fact Adam but is actually: Faqwar RoddinghardSmyth III

4. I had the pleasure of joining this board thanks to my good buddy Wwman, otherwise I would never have passed the initiation ritual with the goats and the donkeys and the monkeys and the biting.

Thank you for interest, please call again.

[Insert cool quote here]
    Play GLminesweeper!
    http://www.iol.ie/~adamj/dl/mineswp.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Aww god, did Eamo make you go through the initiation ritual with the goats and the donkeys and the monkeys and the biting? You do know that it's not actually necessary and he only does it for perverse pleasure?

He made me do the one with the hockey stick and the short skirt. Bizarrely, HE insisted on wearing the short skirt, while I held the potplants and shaved the orangutang.

Ja,
    Rob

Advertisement