Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Strachan Mad??

• 21-11-2003 11:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭

http://www.unison.ie/sportsdesk/football/stories.php3?ca=12&si=1080397

From Unison

GORDON STRACHAN will be on his way to Leeds United in the next few days as the Southampton chairman, Rupert Lowe, begins talks over compensation.

The likelihood of Strachan returning to Elland Road has moved closer as the Leeds chief executive, Trevor Birch, made an official approach to Lowe, who informed the manager of their interest.

There is no doubt Strachan wants the move, seen as a huge challenge by some, but a personal crusade for the strong-minded Scot.

Now Lowe and Birch are locked in talks over the settlement figure, with Leeds happy to pay around £500,000 as compensation for Strachan before offering him terms to join them.

Is he mad 36 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    75% 27 votes
    He loves Division 1 really
    25% 9 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Oh my god, thats probably Leeds best signing in years if it happens. Strachen has done a great job at Southampton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

It hasn't happened yet , but if he does he's asking for trouble .

Southampton might not have a awful lot of money but I'm pretty sure they're not in the precarious position that Leeds are in.

If I were a Saint fan I'd be disappointed with Rupert Lowe's stance on this (If of course he is willing to part with Gordan). The club is moving in the right direction with this manager , new stadium, one of the best striking duo in the Premiership !!

Having said all that if Strachan has his heart set on going to Leeds there is fcuk they can do to stop him , look at the Alan Pardew situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Tray

If he takes the Leeds job on he is mad as a box of hair!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

If he takes the Leeds job on he is mad as a box of hair!

Ditto, but there nothing new in that. Why he would want to leave his current job and go to Leeds with all their problems is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Nike_Dude

Why anybody in their right mind would swap any premiership club for leeds at the moment is amazing. He obviously loves the club and has close connections to it but even the rats have jumped ship, they are heading for division one unless a miracle happens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭rocco

He is crazy if he joins Leeds they are a sinking ship and there is no way it will be turned around by him or anyone else . He is much better staying where he is .They are a good side and will challenge for Europe sooner or later if they keep building .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Originally posted by Nike_Dude
    Why anybody in their right mind would swap any premiership club for leeds at the moment is amazing. He obviously loves the club and has close connections to it but even the rats have jumped ship, they are heading for division one unless a miracle happens
    In all honesty, even a first division manager with high hopes would be mad to take over Leeds. I can see somebody taking leeds to mid table but with the money and discipline problems that they have I am not sure that mid table would be any good for them. They need to be taken over by some millionaire who thinks that they are a good club or something along those lines...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

how can leeds afford to pay compensation when they have no cash?

but in saying that southampton are mad to let him go may be wrong,true gordan is doing an excellent job but so was glenn hoddle before him,although strachen brought them that little bit further,southamptons attitude seems to be that noone is gonna get bigger than the club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Crazy crazy crazy like a Scotish red-haired fox!

Who for the Saints job then?

Mike.

alan curbishly?he seems to be linked with every job going!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Nike_Dude

I can see somebody taking leeds to mid table but with the money and discipline problems that they have I am not sure that mid table would be any good for them.
    The situation is gone so bad I dont even know if the can manage mid table. They might just survive, but with the seemingly endless money problems new signings will be in short supply and all the loan players will be gone at the end of the season. I really cant see a way out for them unless a billionaire takes over (though Trevor Birch was a good appointment)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

I think he is crazy. He`ll will have no resources behind him to save leeds from the state that they are in. He`ll also have problems keeping certain players motivated. the likes of Viduka and Smith have reduced themselves to a state of appathy. and if they get relegated he will be the person who takes the blame. Theres no point ruining his managerial career by joining leeds.

Forgive my cyncism but i doubt even Ferguson or Fabio Capello could turn things around at that club.

Who for the Saints job then?

I wonder would they take hoddle back as he did a good job before. Don;t know if the chairman would forgive him for leaving before though.Failing that ther will be no shortage of takers for a team on the up like the saints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

According to the indo Leeds are to be bought by a Bahrain billionaire for £65 million but on the condition that Strachan is manager....
    SHEIKH Mubarak al-Khalifa is understood to have agreed to a takeover of Leeds United, subject to Gordon Strachan being appointed as manager.

Al-Khalifa, a member of Bahrain's ruling dynasty, who has been a Leeds supporter for a quarter of a century, has offered to pay £65m for control of the Yorkshire club, who are bottom of the Premiership. The deal is expected to be completed by the middle of next month.

Mike.

According to the indo Leeds are to be bought by a Bahrain billionaire for £65 million but on the condition that Strachan is manager....

If True (and it does make sene) that would put a whole new complexion on the situation. If the finances are sorted and he gets a decent tranfer fund Leeds as a club are big enough to be challengers in future seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Aye, he's not as mad as he looks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

i think he has lost all his marbles if he takes that leeds job, but if he wants a challenge!! he has done extremely well with southampton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Unless he knows something we don't I think he'd be crazy like a hatter to take the job.

Originally posted by DapperGent
    Unless he knows something we don't I think he'd be crazy like a hatter to take the job.

I would bet that he knows quite a few things that we do not know about the situation. And if a millionaire comes in there then it could launch leeds as maybe champions league semi finalists or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish
    I would bet that he knows quite a few things that we do not know about the situation.
    Yeah I suppose. After his experience with Coventry I don't reckon he would set himself up for that level of stress and heartache again at least I hope not, I like Gordon Strachan and he seems the type who would be susceptible to giving himself a heart condition from shouting at people or something.

I'd love to see him with a big transfer kitty, he's had some great buys in the past. Robbie Keane, Boateng, Hadji, Chippo etc.

Did he sign Dion Dublin as well or was that before his time?

• Advertisement

I cannot remember now, he certainly does give good interviews, they nearly have a section from his interviews every week on Soccer Am with stuff he has said in response to some pretty damn stupid questions from the commentators.

While it would be good to see some more money in football I fear for some of the other teams now, especially some of the newly promoted ones. If this goes on the gap between first and Prem would be all but insurmountable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Originally posted by gucci
    alan curbishly?he seems to be linked with every job going!

Never happen. He has the same amount of control at charlton that Ferguson has at Man Utd. The only job that would tempt him away is England .

other speculation i seen in some of the weekends trashy papers was mark hughes to take over southampton

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Gordon Strachan is a legend at Elland Road - he was captain of the side that won the final (old) first division. A lot has been made recently of how much the Leeds fans care about the club in comparison to some of the lazy b*st*rds turning out in white every week, but if Strachan were to be appointed I don't think he'd accept the current level of commitment from those players, which has to be an improvement.

Having said that, I'm a Leeds fan and while I'd love to see him get the job (based on what he's done at Southampton rather than for sentimental reasons), I think he'd be mad to take it. Of course, if there's anything to the story about the Arab billionaire only putting his dosh in (the figure I heard was £4.4m, the same as vice-chairman Allan Leighton is stumping up) if Strachan takes over he should be kidnapped and made to sign a contract at gunpoint if necessary.

Advertisement