Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband for two computers

• 21-11-2003 5:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Currently we have two computers which are not on a network together and I am going to get broadband. I was just wondering if anyone could give me any help on setting up a network between the two computers so we can both use the broadband simultaneously.

Or is it even necessary to network the two computers, is there a simpler solution, ie. just splitting the one wire into two. ----<====
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by chilled
    Currently we have two computers which are not on a network together and I am going to get broadband. I was just wondering if anyone could give me any help on setting up a network between the two computers so we can both use the broadband simultaneously.
    Much as I hate to say this, the simplest way to do this appears to be to get DSL from eircom, and plug one PC into the USB port of the supplied modem, and plug the other PC into the Ethernet port.

If you don't want to go with eircom, or if you might conceivably need to support a 3rd PC at some point, the simplest solution is to get a device like the D-Link DSL-504. This has a builtin "DSL modem", so you can leave the USB modem you get from IOL or UTV in it's box, and plug this in instead. Configuration should take minutes, and you have 4 ethernet ports that you can plug things into.

If you're not getting DSL at all, but are looking to get Cable internet from NTL or a wireless package, then the 504 isn't for you, you just need a broadband router, like the D-Link DI-604. (Not all wireless providers will let you share the connection this way, though).

If you don't have ethernet ports in your PC, you can pick them up for €10-€15, and installation is pretty straightforward, but does involve the use of a screw driver ;)

Advertisement