Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SMC router and Netopia 3341

• 21-11-2003 11:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭

Just got my starter pack and ran the modem fine through my PC ethernet. I'm having trouble now getting
    the Netopia working with the SMC 7004AWBR broadband router. I have the modem in bridged mode according to http://www.netopia.com/en-us/support/technotes/hardware/CQG_020.html?print=yes
    The router is showing "unreachable" after several connection attempts.
    Log file shows no errors just numerous "PADI sent"
    messages. Has anyone managed to get the Netopia working with an SMC router?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by yellabelly
    Just got my starter pack and ran the modem fine through my PC ethernet. I'm having trouble now getting
    the Netopia working with the SMC 7004AWBR broadband router. I have the modem in bridged mode according to http://www.netopia.com/en-us/support/technotes/hardware/CQG_020.html?print=yes
    What happens when you plug your PC into the Netopia at that point? Do you get a "public" IP address, or a "private" 192.168.* address? (Or, if the Netopia doesn't do the PPPoE login in that mode, do you not get anything at all?)
    The router is showing "unreachable" after several connection attempts.
    Log file shows no errors just numerous "PADI sent"
    messages.
    ??? Unreachable? Unreachable from where? If you can't reach the SMC router from your PC, then it's not a Netopia problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭yellabelly

When connected to a PC (w2K) in "bridge" mode I get allocated a public ip address from auto configuration. I should have noted the address but it wasn't like the usual 159.134.*.* The default gateway was just blank so I couldn't access any public IP addresses. It would make sense to forget about the router until I can get the Netopia working direct to the PC without DHCP and NAT. This shouldn't be so difficult.
    "Unreachable" is just the generic message on the router when it can't connect to the WAN. My PCs can connect fine to the router with the router's NAT/DHCP. I was using this router successfully with ISDN.

Just dug out the address connecting direct to a PC in "bridge" mode. It was a 169.254.*.*
    For the router should ...
    PPPoE Service Same be "istream" - it is an optional field?
    PPPoE Account include @eircom.net suffix?

Just discovered that 169.254.*.* is an auto configured address when the NIC can't find a DHCP server.
    It appears that Windows 2000 (unlike XP) does not support PPPoE by default. I am going to try with http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~normanb/ which states compatibility with eircom.net.

I can confirm that the SMC Barricade works very well with Netopia in "bridge mode". I can only say (in my embarrassment) I had my cables mixed up.
    Also the RASPPPOE driver worked on Windows 2000 in this mode. One happy camper!

• Advertisement
Advertisement