Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lectures cancelled!!!!!

Options
  • 22-11-2003 12:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭

Im a first year law student in TCD and I only have 10 hours of lectures and tutorials a week, but at least once a week one of these is cancelled for some reason or another. The thing that REALLY annoys me about this is that the college send us an e-mail telling us it was cancelled a couple of hours before it was due to take place and since im already in college at that time I end up sitting in lecture halls wondering why there's no lecturer and what the hell's going on.
    Does this happen in other colleges or is it just trinity??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Yea happens all the time in Cumbria Institute of the Arts..... they dont e-mail us though... just let us turn up

John

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭embraer170

Same in UCC except nobody informs us about cancellations. Happened 3-4 times so far.

Law in Trinity, only 10 hours. Bloody lucky. I'm sharing a place with two UCC law students and they seem to have much heavier schedules.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

that used to happen a fair bit in UCD, when i was in first year, but to a lesser extent in second year, and now hardly ever in final year. i think thay're less worried about cancelling lectures for first years than other years. they almost always arrange substitute lecturers if one of our regular lecturers is away for a conference or some other reason. with a subject like law, though, like arts, i'd say it's not as much of a loss, because there's always reading to catch up on!! go to the library and use your time effectively!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Nike_Dude

because there's always reading to catch up on!! go to the library and use your time effectively!!!!
    I know all about the library i do have mountains of cases to read:) I suppose I'll get use to it pretty soon its just way different than school where classes are never usually cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Nike_Dude

Does this happen in other colleges or is it just trinity??

It happens everywhere. But in a course like law, all your lecturers are practicing as well as lecturing, and it's inevitable that they can't always stick to timetables due to the nature of their jobs. Same goes for medicine, dentistry etc lecturers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

yeah im doing marketing and e business in dit and we do law as a subject 1hour a week and it's far an away the most frequently cancelled lecture! Lecturer practices during the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭embraer170

way different than school where classes are never usually cancelled

Then you obviously didn't go to my school. :p
    yeah im doing marketing and e business in dit and we do law as a subject 1hour a week and it's far an away the most frequently cancelled lecture! Lecturer practices during the day!

Down here in UCC, my course includes one double period of law every week. I wish she was away.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Happens rarely in UCD law, and when it does, its usually posted on the notice board a day before and its rescheduled fairly quickly. This year I've only come in for one lecture that was cancelled and i didnt know about it but that was because I did check the notice board the day before.

Make sure you're checking the notice board aswell as emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Guys,

If this happens on a continuous basis you should contact your Class rep, your SU Faculty convenor or your SU education officer

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

At least they email you. In WIT they let you turn up, and usually stick a notice on your classroom door saying who wont be attending, though on occasion we've been left sitting in a room and nobody turns up at all. Emailing would be nice as on occasion I've turned up to find it wasnt worth my while coming in at all (live 20 miles away)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Guys,

If this happens on a continuous basis you should contact your Class rep, your SU Faculty convenor or your SU education officer

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

We used to have a lecture from 9-11 on a Monday morning. Most of the time, the guy just didn't turn up. No notice, no reason. When he did decide to come in, he wore an earphone and was listening to the radio (races we guessed). Needless to say I didn't attend that class much all year!

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭revelate

well i'm 2nd year law in TCD and can't say it happened too much last year. Though to be fair anytime a lecture was cancelled it was always rescheduled.
    don't worry about the huge reading lists..you don't have to read everything on them!
    how are you finding the course in general? isn't gerard hogan a class man?

oh and the law school are generally good at letting students know lectures are cancelled as soon as they know themselves. they have this text message system in place as well for notifying students..they took mobile numbers from our class last year and let us know if anything's cancelled.

they took mobile numbers from our class last year and let us know if anything's cancelled
    Yeah they took our numbers too but i've yet to receive a text message.
    Slightly off the point but how much of the constitutional reading list did you go through, the cases are so long compared to tort and criminal:)
    Dr. Hogan is class so is Dr. Cox and Professer Binchy (though we wont have him after christmas)

well, we had the misfortune to have lia o' hegarty for con1 til christmas last year so i can't say i read much of crotty etc. til exam time came around. there's not really any precise way of deciding what to read but the lecturers emphasise which ones are really important..i mean you're probably going to have to read TD, Sinnott, Crotty, McGimpsey, Buckley to name but a few but you certainly don't have to trawl through all of them.

having said that, i read sinnott for the first time this year..damn con2

after a while you'll discover a knack for figuring out which cases to read properly and which ones you can get away with reading the headnote for.

are ye still subjected to oran doyle this year?

Yeah have him friday evenings which means I cant get the early train home:mad:
    i'm screwed for this con essay due in march 6000 words:eek: I dont even know 6000 words:)

ah 6000 words is probably the upper limit. anything around the 5,000 mark will do. and believe me, once you start writing the con essay you realise just how much you have to say..so you will know 5-6,000 words by its end. hogan is a nice marker as well..if you quote his articles he likes it too..argue coherently with them and he likes it even more.

Advertisement