Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard Drive Disappearance after format

• 22-11-2003 12:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I have 2 hard drives installed on my computer. I recently had to format my comp and it now seems that the second hard drive has disappeared from the list of drives installed. I can see it on the hardware profile, but it is not listed as drive D (like it used to be)

I opened up Disk Management in XP and it shows the disk as a virtual drive, but it says it is unreadable. Anyone have any idea how I could mount this drive, preferably without having to format it. I backed up all my important files onto it before I formatted thinking the second drive would be okay :rolleyes:

Thanks a lot!

Serb

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

I had a very similar issue to this a few days ago. I had to reload XP and when my D & E drives didn't show up I went into disk manager expecting to see them as foreign drives and a simple import should resolve it but no, the drives showed up as unreadable.
    After farting about for a long! time I remembered the volumes were created under XP SP1a and I upgraded the SP and low and behold the drives showed up in disk manager as foreign and a simple right click followed by import resolved my dilemma.
    Hope this works for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Serbian

SickBoy.

I love you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

It's a strange one alright.
    Out of curiosity, was your unreadable drive a basic or dynamic disk?
    Mine was dynamic...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Serbian

It was dynamic too. After I installed SP1 it just appeared as normal, I didn't even need to remount it or anything in Disk Management.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Q. How many microsoft programmers does it take to change a light bulb ?
    A. None they just redefine Darkness (tm) as a new industry standard.

• Advertisement
Advertisement