Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

'Racist?' Questions by Insurance Co.

Options
  • 22-11-2003 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭

I rang for a motor insurance quote recently and was asked two questions which I thought were pretty much out of order...

“What is your nationality?”
    “Have you lived in Ireland for all of your life?”

Anyone else been asked the same questions and been offended by it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

It's not offensive...i've been asked stuff like that when applying for jobs. In fact in N Ireland they ask you what religion you are and what ethnic background. It's just for statistics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

hyper-sensitive me thinks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Next they'll be asking you where you live and what's your phone number and are you married n' stuff..

Have a look at the online quotes (stickies) to see what questions are generally asked ..

In the states they are refusing health cover on based on DNA samples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Da Man

Perhaps a bigger problem is that if you aren't of the right nationality and haven't lived here for the last x years, they will refuse to quote you. Irish insurance companies are truly a breed of their own. All this is really doing is causing a lot of immigrants to drive around uninsured.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Hold on a second. Insurance companies are now no longer allowed to ask marital status because it was deemed to be irrelevant.

What exactly has my nationality got to do with driving FFS.
    It's just for statistics.

So why was I refused a quotation when I refused to answer the nationality question? And would you be happy if say all (random example)-ians were refused cover?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

I'm offended by the gender and date of birth questions :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Bull**** guys. They're not being racist. they are trying to ascertain the standard of driving you are used to. Most of the immigrants from China for example can't drive for toffee, likewise many immigrants from eastern europe have a totally unregulated system of driver testing and before insurance is handed out it is perfectly normal for them to try and benchmark your driving experience relative to the EU.

Why would you have a problem with it anyway Madsl?

they are trying to ascertain the standard of driving you are used to. Most of the immigrants from China for example can't drive for toffee, likewise many immigrants from eastern europe have a totally unregulated system of driver testing and before insurance is handed out it is perfectly normal for them to try and benchmark your driving experience relative to the EU.

Zenophobic bull.

Are you seriously trying to tell me that an Irish driver who still can't pass their test after the 9th attempt is better than a Chinese driver who has been driving for 30 years who passes an Irish test first time and then gets an Full Irish licence.

Nationality has NOTHING to do with driving.
    many immigrants from eastern europe have a totally unregulated system of driver testing

Where exactly?? Or is this a general 'eastern europe not quite as good as us' kind of feeling. I lived in Eastern Europe or as it is more accurately called Central Europe. The part I lived in - Czech Republic - don't let unqualified drivers drive like in Ireland. They also have a zero drink driving limit. Mad unregulated nuts aren't they.

Why would you have a problem with it anyway Madsl?

Maybe I am just a crazy nut who feels that discriminating on the basis of nationality is err... wrong.

Jesus, must get me head checked.

Originally posted by MadsL
    And would you be happy if say all (random example)-ians were refused cover?

That's such a ridiculous thing to come out with. It's 2003 you know. Quinn Direct aren't about to bar say, Somalians from having a policy with them.

A few facts for you.

I was asked to give my nationality.

I refused as under the Data Protection Act the information wasn't adequate, relevant and not excessive.

the data shall be adequate, relevant and not excessive in relation to that purpose or purposes"
    - section 2(1)(c)(iii) of the Data Protection Act 1988

Then I was refused a quote. Draw your own conclusions.

This insurance company is the only one who have ever asked me type of questions.

Would you be offended if they asked if you were pregnant as it might affect your ability to drive??

• Advertisement

_eth0, I never said this was Quinn Direct.

Something you want to tell us? Have you recently moved to Fermanagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

For god sake Mad ....Oh no they asked you where you came from what a crime :rolleyes:

I smell a uber politic correctness nut :o .... the world is going to **** when you cant even ask what country someone come's from with out being qutoed Dp law's and called a raceist

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Damn right MadsL

In a normal world a 90% discount on insurance premium would be applied if you can prove you don't have an Irish driving license but a continental european one :mad:

where you came from
    is often followed by 'why don't you go back there'.

I detect a rise of racist, zenophobic attitudes in this country.

What the Sweet Holy FK has where I was born got to do with driving and insurance??? If a judge has determined that insurance companies cannot ask marital status questions or refuse a 76year old, then this nationality question is well out of order.

By the way bizmark it can be a crime...

The Race Relations (NI) Order 1997 (RRO) follows closely the provisions of the 1976 Race Relations Act in GB. It outlaws discrimination on grounds of colour, race, nationality or ethnic or national origin. The Irish Traveller community is specifically identified in the Order as a racial group against which racial discrimination is unlawful.

The Order makes it unlawful to discriminate either directly to indirectly or through the victimisation of an individual using definitions similar to those found in the Fair Employment and Treatment (NI) Order 1998 (FETO). The Race Order adds a further ground by providing that segregation on racial grounds also constitutes discrimination.

yep Uber politic correctness nut :rolleyes:
    I detect a rise of racist, zenophobic attitudes in this country.

Raceism isnt asking someone where they came from ffs

Hey mad do you come from ireland ? ......oh **** im a raseist now :rolleyes:

your takeing this way tomuch to heart for no good reasion IF you have prove of a company not giveing a non-national with a full licence insurance just because their black/east europion etc THEN thats raseist

If you dont your bitching about a simple question

That's such a ridiculous thing to come out with. It's 2003 you know. Quinn Direct aren't about to bar say, Somalians from having a policy with them.

What's to stop them. If they were allowed to continue with this practice and they decided to ban all Somalians. Who's to know.

It's 2003 you know - yes I do know, and Ireland needs to wake up to a multi-cultural society. Fast.

The only way to protect civil liberties is to shout very loudly when there are in danger of being abused.

Hey mad do you come from ireland

OK Bizmark let's look at this. Simple question "Do I come from Ireland?"
    But it is not a simple question...

Was I born in Ireland?
    Do I live in Ireland and pay taxes here.
    Where in Ireland (Is the North the UK?)
    Have I lived in Ireland long enough to naturalise?
    Were my Parents Irish?
    Was I born in another country to Irish parents?
    Was my Granny Irish (whoo Hoo I can play for Ireland)

I could go on...

What in the name of superman are you on about ?
    Was I born in Ireland?

Word play you knew what i ment
    Do I live in Ireland and pay taxes here

if your born in ireland or to irish parents else where your irish other wise your not in the eye's of the law
    Where in Ireland (Is the North the UK?)

oh come on mad you know full well the North is considered UK and all born their are british
    Have I lived in Ireland long enough to naturalise?

see answer 2
    Were my Parents Irish?

see answer 2
    Was I born in another country to Irish parents?

see answer 2
    Was my Granny Irish

if your perents are irish your irish if their english your english ....thank god though for the weird ass football rule's

Though tbh i have no idea what this has to do with the question at hand ?

tbh i have no idea what this has to do with the question at hand

The point, my friend, is that if neither you or I can decide or agree on what nationality is - then the insurance companies have no business doing that either.

Asking someone's nationality is offensive when it is terms of making a decision about them. In this case an insurance premium.

Do you know how your insurance base rate is calculated? No, neither do I. It is a complex set of actuarial data that the underwriters use to determine insurance risk, usually based on sex, age and driving experience...also sometimes occupation. The only guarantee that I have that my nationality DOESN'T form part of this calculation is if the Insurance company doesn't ask the nationality question.

Oh and by the way....you are wrong about the North...

Under Article 2 of Bunreacht na hEireann (the Irish Constitution), every person born on the island of Ireland, its islands and its seas has an entitlement to be part of the Irish nation. That is to say, they are Irish citizens. In addition, under Article 1(vi) of the British-Irish Agreement, anyone born in Northern Ireland has the right to identify themselves as Irish or British (or both) as they so choose and they also have the right to be an Irish citizen. The principal legislation governing the issue of Irish citizenship is the Irish Nationality and Citizenship Acts, 1956 and 1986.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Umm.... Maybe they want to know what side of the road you are used to driving on? That would be reasonable....

Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 lucian

I don't think the question is a racist one.
    What my opinion is on this,

if you are Irish/UK/Central Europe born, then you know your rights, the law, etc.
    and based on that you get the right quote.

If you are from eastern or far europe you haven't got a clue about prices and how things works so you get what you are offered, cause there is not many insurance companies that will actually insure foreigners (but will give a good reason why not.)
    which will have a bit extra €'s on top.

Originally posted by MadsL

Under Article 2 of Bunreacht na hEireann (the Irish Constitution), every person born on the island of Ireland, its islands and its seas has an entitlement to be part of the Irish nation. That is to say, they are Irish citizens.

Wasn't this changed/going to be changed? There were so many non-nationals coming into the country to give birth purely to gain the right to live here because they would be the parent of an Irish national, that it was going to be changed.
    The UK changed this in their constitution for exactly this reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 lucian

Originally posted by eth0_
    Wasn't this changed/going to be changed? There were so many non-nationals coming into the country to give birth purely to gain the right to live here because they would be the parent of an Irish national, that it was going to be changed.
    The UK changed this in their constitution for exactly this reason.

You are not up to date on this, but that was changed in January this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

MadsL complain to the data protection commisioner. He made a decision that sking for maritial status was illeagal by insurnace companies.

Could you name this insurance company?

Umm.... Maybe they want to know what side of the road you are used to driving on? That would be reasonable....

You are confusing familiarity with competance. Just because I know what an airplane looks like and which side the pilot sits doesn't mean I can fly a plane. I could hold X passport but may NEVER have driven in X country.

Also descriminating against someone with an EU licence because they drive on the 'wrong' side of the road would mean that the insurance company would be 'discriminating' against an EU citizen entitled to equal rights here. This would not be the best press in a year when Ireland holds the Presidency of the EU.

I concede your point on the change in the constitution in January, a very bad decision, but eth0_ I like you to define "so many" Given that from 92 to 97 there we only 6000 asylum seekers of which only 300 were granted refugee status this is hardly "so many"... Germany had over 136,000 applications in the same period.

But back to my main point as this question of nationality is such an emotive issue and clearly raises a number of ethical and cultural questions;

WTF has Nationality to do with Insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

I think you're blowing this out of all proportion.

Anyone purchasing insurance is going to be discriminated against in one way or the other.

If insurance company A has 100 22 y/o males insured and 20% of them make a claim, they're gonna up their premium next time around. If they have 100 people of a certain nationality and 20% of them make a claim, the same thing is gonna happen. It's a load of bollocks but it's the way they operate. If you feel it's illegal, go take a court case against whoever it is.

Anyone purchasing insurance is going to be discriminated against in one way or the other.
    Precisely my point. There is enough discrimination in the process without muddying the waters with questions about nationality. Currently only ONE insurer finds it necessary to ask these questions.
    If they have 100 people of a certain nationality and 20% of them make a claim, the same thing is gonna happen.

Well consider if you went to the UK and went looking for a quote and were told "Oh, we don't insure Irish, they are too much of a risk"
    This situation already arises in that most mainland UK insurance companies will not insure N. Ireland residents.

Incidentally the Data Protection Commissioner has ruled that asking your marital status is irrelevant.
    http://www.dataprivacy.ie/02cs1.htm yet this same insurance company still has this question on it's online quotation form.

Why not go the whole way and and add;

1. Are you a member of the Traveller Community?
    2. What is your sexual orientation?
    3. What is your skin colour?
    4. Are you pregnant?
    5. Are you disabled?

"blowing this out of all proportion" is what this Insurance co. are doing, not me. They are the ones asking for excessive information. At what point do you feel is enough information about a person gathered.

"its the way they operate" No it isn't. This is only ONE insurance company at the moment, but the thin end of a very dodgy wedge.

if u feel so much against it why not complan to someone that can change it ?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by bizmark
    if u feel so much against it why not complan to someone that can change it ?

Bizmark is right! Why don't you ASK THE INSURANCE COMPANIES, instead of pissing and moaning about it on here where it's unlikely anyone will know why they ask these questions.

Here's something else that'll set you off, madsl, in the north when you apply for a job you have to tell them what religion you are. If you refuse, they'll find out by looking at what school you went to.
    IT'S A DISGRACE I SAYS!

<small>Actually, no one in N Ireland really cares :) </small>

Advertisement