Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Me going away for a year or two or three or four - bye bye !

Options
  • 09-11-1999 1:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭

Hello y’all,

(And no, this is not a Adra type bye bye message where I appear back in IRC the next week)

Me going – me had enuf, time to find me a new online gaming community to terrorise for a few years smile.gif Its been a pleasure. Please take the time to read the below crap I wrote about stuff and more stuff.

Soooo here the full story of my 3 years on quake, the highs and lows, and its long and I’m sure most of you wouldn’t be bothered reading it, but I assure you its worth your while.

It all started in college. All the PC’s finally got networked and first game up was Quake because Kosh swore by it (CW Kosh – most of you are too new to remember him). After months and months of quake, cool CTF, great fun I got my first own PC at X-mas, and a few days later I got my modem and was ready to play quake online ! Kosh, got me into it, told me the old indigo server addresses, and everynight I used to play with some guys from college and the other folk on the servers at the time along the lines of Blade, Cream, Gandalf, FreeFrag, Snowbat, MacBain, and so many others. These where the real days of quake. I remember DAOD has just broken up when I got online, and Blade was in the middle of forming CW, with Kosh, Tomb, Cream and so on. The servers where opened to Americans at the time too and we had a few regulars along the lines of FreeFrag, who was a sound bloke and I’m sure a lot of people remember him. I wonder where he is today – but who cares. I used to play for hours every night, and no matter what anyone says I has half good. After the first few months for flag runner, running into the bases non stop and getting no where I mastered the skill. And even Gandalf, a defender at the time says he could get me smile.gif. Not bad for a keyboard player. My old nick Lord bubbles, and then to bubbles[Rogue] with me green top, zooming around with me grapple hook, ahh class.

All you newish people who missed those days don’t really understand how good they where, the atomsphere was excellent, loging onto the server and having a totally excellent game of quake. The people I remember mostly are Blade, Cream, Tomb, Beast, Braincell, Koopa, Reaper, loads of other LPB trin heads along the lines of Dupre, then the UL lads in nD such as Zero, Overlord, among others. Back then it was all fun, none of this ****ing rival crap.

Then when me college course was over the real fun started. I was albe to stay online all night every night playing quake, and 6 out of 7 nights myself, Blade, Cream, Tomb, Snowbat, Iceman and Macbain and sometimes Von used to be on the servers till 7am, having mad games, fun and slaggins. Most excellent. Half way thru this the almighty Devore joined the ranks, made to play quake multiplayer by blade. I believe Dev played quake single player and when he tried that he was hooked, G’man.

Then my webpage went up, with an opening exculsive of my Inc page. The people who saw it, loved it, and it sparked up the first bit of trouble with me and INC. At the time too we where just sarting the ****ups, and I remember the first one clearly. We would have all sat there in that pub all night if it wasn’t for Carnate to make us all introduce us all. All together a good night. Also lans in cyber cafes like the Glose where being arranged, again, those where class with players over the net getting to play each other on lan for the first time.

This is when Irish quake was at its peak, the feeling, the atmosphere was electric. Everynight the regualars where on, picking teams, having Tomb and Beast going around raping everone. Clan games where in their peak. CG and GloW just formed, along with nD, CT, CW, INC, with loads of others, you where sure of a super dooper game. My page contined to go on with loads of cheap childish slaggings which I enjoyed doing at the time.

I remember my first game with CG against nD, and even tho we got raped, we gave nD a hell of a game with me getting a cap in the first min on e4m5 and Dev getting another outstanding cap half way tru the game. Then CG second game against GloW where we comfortably won. E4M3 of the game must have been one of the best games of my life, but apart from all that it was just fun, and that is all it ever was. Then Gandalf left GloW and joined CG, and I left CG and joined GloW.

Then came the phase of where Vexorg and his charming wife Julia hosted 3 or 4 little lans. This envoled loads of us (INC, CW, Devore, 99% of GloW and CG) among others piling into Vex’s house for a Sunday packed with quake. Again most excellent times, and we all agree that Vexorg and Julia where great hosts. Again, a game to remember is when GloW played INC in ctf on lan. INC picked the level and where all on there own machine and we kicked ASS ! YAY !!! It was great. And I’m not trying to rub it in MP, you have to admit it was fun but I found it amusing that INC packed up and wenyt home an hour after that game, even tho INC lads where ruling at the wars all morning wink.gif

Then it happened, QuakeWorld came.

To many this appears to be a good thing as you got better pings, aiming and so on. But the fact is it killed CTF and killed the old ways of quake, and CTF. I didn’t play quake at all for the first 2 months of QW, but after that I started to play again with the mouse. In the meanwhile I continued to run my page, along side Gandalfs. That kept me entertained. There where some cools mods out there such as rocket areana which was just class. CTF in QW just sucked due to the fact the grapple sucked beyond all belief. And I recall only 2 games ever of CTF played after that. The good days where gone.

Then CA came, A LOT of fun at the start, but when ppl used to played it non stop it just drove another nail in the coffin of Qauke. The rest is history, a lot of people went, a lot came, but of course anyone who experienced the old days would say that they rocked compaired to today. Period.
    ]
    In my years of quake I have done some good and bad things, the bad being ****ing off INC, DEV, CG at times, CS for trying to break them up, but I wish I could say I was sorry, but I’m not. I was young and foolish back then, and even tho they look bad at me, I enjoyed it like hell !!!!!

That’s my brief story of Irish quake, of course there is loads more, but I couldn’t be arsed typing it all smile.gif.

So I suppose I’ll type something thanking and cursing some people out there smile.gif

Blade - Need I say anything - Thanx for been there from the start and helping me pass many a night playing CTF among other stuff wink wink smile.gif

MindPhuck – Ya did A LOT for quake in your day, and leader of INC. Sorry I gave ya so much hassle. Like that time Rogue played INC, etc. Well It was CW playing for us, I admit it now, altho it was funny after hours of fighting getting you to admit that we beat you. No hard feelings – the truth is out offically now smile.gif

DeVore - We all know what you did, and I am gratefull, even tho I havn’t taken part in recent events, back when I played a lot you where still doing anything. Even tho u think I’m and *****, and I won’t say what I think of you wink.gif but you know I respected you.

Vex – Thanx man ! for all the lifts, letting me mind your dogs, babysit your ISDN, and EVERYTHING else you done for me. I won’t forget it and hopefully in a few years I will be albe repay some of the kindness you have shown me over the years.

Gandalf aka Fat ****** Spice wink.gif - Its been a pleasure man. Good games right from the start, good company, sexy body, you name it. Cya around !

Cream – Again like blade thanx for keeping me company at nights, and thanx for keeping me up till 7 one morning after blade sent me that fake virus which I tought was real and changed that nudie x-mas stripper messge mate. You *******. Revenge is sweet.

IceMan – Hope ya don’t get lost in the post man ;-)

Regi – Me old LPB CT buddy tongue.gif Cya ! been a pleasure

Bunny - You really ****ing look cute. !!! Likewise !

Koopa - Ya never let me beat ya in DM2 ya *******. ! tongue.gif All the best

Hobbes – We have had our differnces, especially the night before u moved over to the states where where where nuking each other left right and centre. But we always talked smile.gif.

Adra – Keep up the good lying !!! One day you’ll get away with it ;-)

Chaos - We used to get along untill I made that comment about dk being muppets over causing dev grief before DubLan. Just remember I played ya 5 times in a duel on a lan and u beat me once. NAH NAH NAHNAHNAH tongue.gif

Pikachu – You sex god you

Ste/Johno - Nice to see ya’s going up at last. The last few months has been a pleasure. All the best in the future

Death – Back from the time I made ya lamer of the week we used to be at each others necks, but we have learned to love each other over the last year purrrrr smile.gif

Slosh – Ya saved quake many times by getting servers up. Me hat go’s off for ya

EWJ – Some good times in Cyber-X and some good times in CD

There are loads more ppl, sorry if I missed you. I could go on and moan about all the people I hate like chrome – but I’ll save you all from that - for now.

So the last few years have been something to remember – Thanx to everyone who let me beat them once or twice (Koopa!) and thanx to everyone who took my abuse and just sat there and didn’t fight back

Bye Bye and g’luck y’all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

You still got a backup of that site you did for Inc? I could do with a good laugh right now smile.gif

But anyway cya man...
    and best of luck!

Dan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

/me cries...who's gonna look out for me on irc now? Only really got talking to you in the last while...but i'll miss you...who else knows what the pokemon are up to?

[This message has been edited by Toulouse (edited 09-11-99).]

[This message has been edited by Toulouse (edited 09-11-99).]

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Nexus

i don't know u but cya sunglasses.gif
    and don't forget...
    GT rocks ure world frown.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭FreaK_BrutheR

Take her handy big man.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Nooooo...!

Who is going to help me out of the Lycra body suits now?... Whats Sput going to do for some real man lovin? Who is going to stir the shoite like a master... not like these lame asses are trying to do at the moment?

Miss you already ... never send anything by post...

G.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Bunny

Lad Bubbles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

was nice to know you too, good luck

[This message has been edited by Koopa (edited 09-11-99).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Spaceman

Alright LIPPYBOY wink.gif, sad to see ya go but hopefully ya wont go far. Hey pity ya didn't cap that flag gainst CW that night
    we might have beat them too (couldn't let that pass!!)

later M8

Sp^ceman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Chaos

good bye u useless tosser biggrin.gif

www.gibworld.com/chaos
    dk 0wns U

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Slosh

Noooooo now IRC is dead tooo.....

Take care pal....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

well, i suppose we can always look back upon rogues famous victories with a smile smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

Cya Bubbles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 cgnfJames

I just remembered one night in d'early days when one particular b!stard (who shall remain nameless)kept running with the flag ,getting pent killing himself and then changing shirt colour,so we couldn't get the flag back,and worst of all you had the patience to KEEP DOING that all thru the evening long if I could have driven to Dublin that night I'd have shoved your keyboard up...well you get my drift smile.gif .I wonder is there any old ctf server up anywhere anymore it'd be a good laugh to have one more bash at it.
    G'luck Bubbles.....but like them all you'll be back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Cream

Bubbles:

First and foremost, I am sorry to see you go man. I had some of my best games with you and all the lads...sometimes I could have freekin killed you for real;-) but most times you made me laugh and were a great sport, and a top player too(for a keyboarder;-)). Actually you were the first to 'stir it up' and I guess we needed it too, but now it seems like it's all got so personal and spiteful.

I must agree that there was a totally different feeling in the quake scene then...its like everyone was in the same boat....crappy modems/pings...crappy isp's etc.. it was more of a 'game' and not a competition.. CTF was where it all started I guess, the team games and long nights playing, but I must say that I think CA brought new life back into Quake, all you have to do is look at the CA servers and see them full even now, and it seems that with Quakeworld and CA came a whole new generation of players too...but as Blade would say...most are just LPB Skum! smile.gif*cough*

Bubbles, I personally wish you all the best in whatever you do and hope you'll keep in touch from time to time.

BTW...that was a virus, dont you remember me sending you a 'cleaner' for it;-)))

Adios Bubbs............

Cream

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭earthworm_jim

gluck bubbles,

Thanks for those beatings on DM2..

Mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Bye Bubbles, bye Jade, bye Pikachu! Cheers for making my life as a Tribe leader a complete misery, ya git! smile.gif

Teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭FutureQuakeDood

Goodbye and goodluck Bubbles! I hope I again meet you on IRC next Friday for one last game of Quake or Unreal (maybe not with Chaos this time LOL). Anyway goodluck in your future careers and relationships. Cya big guy, nice knowing you for this short while.

Signing off /Futu
    P.S. never did understand the micheal jackson relevance (LOL x100)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭walt

G'luck. We had our words...but you were all right, lad. smile.gif
    Div

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭DeV

Ah Bubbles I never thought badly of you (for long hehe). You were the heart of a damned good CTF clan and as much trouble as you would cause I still liked ya!.

Times were good back then alright, but we had muppets then too (remember DaisyCrusher?)
    although even daisy was intelligent unlike peewee who is just sounding like a broken record now...

Anyway, good look and stay in touch, yer a weirdo, but arent we all... smile.gif

DeV.

ps: the Inc chicken-site is still the funniest thing I have ever seen in 10 years of being online. I hope to god you have it stored somewhere.... brutal, vicious, nasty but god awful funny....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭adra

ah bubbs...you sure it ain't on of my type goodbyes??? wink.gif

anywyas...I wish you all the best for the future hun smile.gif

You're great fun and you will be missed:/

Stay in touch!

All teh best and G'Luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Cya Bubbles, I had good time for U sad.gif

Jimmy...

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Chief

Bubbs m8.. NOOOOOoooooooooooo...
    Ill miss the latest Pickachu i chose you stuff sad.gif
    And the fact i never got to meet ya in person and give ya one of me bear hugz!..
    Dev got a few.. Carnate got one...and so did a few other people wink.gif yer OWED!
    Cya mate! and ya better visit..
    yer pal.
    |Chief| la....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Ahhh Jaysus lad don't go !!!

Bubbs its been a pleasure lad and you will be missed. Thanks for mentioning my crap page next to yours, please, please, please repost that inc page if you still have it, I remember laughing so much I nearly cried smile.gif

Here any news on jobs btw tongue.gif

Gandalf.

www.gibworld.com/gandalf gandalf@gibworld.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Cya in the next cartoon....IE the next **** episode of pokemon...take care.!

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ste

bi bye!

Advertisement