Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

England cheating

• 22-11-2003 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭

Did anyone see Martin Johnson talking to Clive Woodward through his water bottle?

What could the punishment be for this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭-Wheeler-

Strip them of the title (if they win) I say. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

RTÉ showed it. You can clearly see Martin Johnson talking into the water bottle and they cut straight to Clive Woodward who was seen receiving something in his ear and acknowledge it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Hmmm, I love if they were stripped of the title.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

yeah it was so obvious... stripping the title of them would be a bit harsh.. wouldnt mind seeing it though...

there has to be some sort of punishment for that...

a nice 2 year ban would be nice...

we're never going to hear the end of this...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

yeah - we still haven't heard the end of Celtic fans rabbiting on about Brother Wilfrid founding them - which makes the club Irish in their blinkered eyes

or our soccer fans still going on about that penalty shoot out in 1990

- England won the World Cup. They are entitled to celebrate, be triumphal. If we won we would be exactly the same

This negative nationalism really sucks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

Originally posted by nlgbbbblth
    yeah - we still haven't heard the end of Celtic fans rabbiting on about Brother Wilfrid founding them - which makes the club Irish in their blinkered eyes

or our soccer fans still going on about that penalty shoot out in 1990

- England won the World Cup. They are entitled to celebrate, be triumphal. If we won we would be exactly the same

This negative nationalism really sucks.

You glossing over/ignoring the fact that Eng cheated is as bad as them highlighting it! In a not-huge-way they cheated. Accept it!

It's not reverse nationalism - If they cheated they should be punished. Same applies to all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Oh c'mon, thats bloody ridii saw it on telly i i think they were either takin the piss or being really stupid :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

they should definitley get punished somehow!!! cheating is cheating... the only good thing that came out of all of this is that a northern hemisphere team won the thing, even if it was england that did it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Hold on here, first of all its a ridiculous theory, and secoind of all there is absolutely no proof!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

lol, water bottle mobile phones :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

Hold on here, first of all its a ridiculous theory, and secoind of all there is absolutely no proof!

haha id love it if he was just going mad and had to be committed when he got home, he was clearly talking to the water bottle!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I would'nt use one of them - electric shock to the tongue! Ouch! :eek:

Could'nt find any news stories about cheating on google.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭Dr. Dodger

well i think they should make an example of these people and ban them from all sporting activities for at least 100 years or until ireland win something .. is that too much to ask.

i think we just gotta take our hats off to johnny who is the ONE reason england won the world cup. the guy is class and ya have to admire the skill. god thats painful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

England could have won the world cup without Jonny. He didn't win it for them; the pack did. Grayson is almost as good a kicker and would almost certainly have kicked all the chances Wilkinson had.

As for the talking into the water bottle: it certainly looked suspicious and the question should be put to them: What the hell were you doing guys?

I'm not sure what the penalty is for this sort of thing. It would seem a bit harsh to strip them of the title but if it's illegal, and I'm not sure it is, then they should be punished accordingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Looks very suspicious to me.

It is also against the rules for players to communicate with their coach during match play afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

Oh jesus christ that theory is a load of ****e. Martin Johnson was probably talking to sum1 on the field to the side of him or in front of him, the Camera man just got it on TV for sumthing to talk about at half time. And how do you know when they showed clive woodward recieving sumthing that it was Right after johnson talked into the bottled, it was probably cut out and put in there. England won they derserved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Coyler

Next time you're at any rugby game you'll note that everyone is miked up, including physios, doctors, watercarriers. Now, don't you think that every coach will communicate to his players through them (and they do, including Eddie O'Sullivan) as opposed to an eloborate setup involving water bottles?
    And on a side issue, the Australians are probably the best at bending the rules for years now. As for their supporters booing a kick at goal......
    Oh, and England winning the WC is good for the Six Nations, European Cup and rugby in the northern hemisphere in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

wilko_ownage.jpg

Fair play to england, Im glad one of the 6 nations won it...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Ro

Here's a video of it:

Video - Windows Media

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

does it actually say in the rules you cant talk to water bottles :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭DEG viper

Hmmm, I love if they were stripped of the title.

that would be brilliiant and a long ban would go nicely with that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭DEG viper

England could have won the world cup without Jonny. He didn't win it for them; the pack did. Grayson is almost as good a kicker and would almost certainly have kicked all the chances Wilkinson had.

are u a bit mad. He is obviously the best out half in the world and grayson is no where near him. look at the stats he practically beat france and austrailia on his own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

I have just watched that video - and all I have to say is that I sure hope you fella's will not be on any jury that I may come up against :D

- yes the england captian and the england coach appeard to be talking at around the same time, guilty ! I suppose it never crossed anyones mind that they could have been talking to the people around them?

and besides - in the video the player hands the bottle back before the coach speaks in his box, it must be a big speaker in the water botter if the player could hear what he said :)

I would suggest that you drop the silly theorys and carry on tucking into that rather large case of sour grapes you obviously have :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭Fence

Tis possible they were cheating, but come on innocent until proven guilty. Besides talking to Woodward although maybe illegal is not enough reason to take the title off them. They are world champs and deserve it. Okay so a lot of it is down to Wilkinson, so what. Every team had one special player, and without the pack around him he never would have gotten the space for that last drop goal.

I was supporting Australia, but England deserved their win. It'll make it all the sweeter when we beat them in the 6 nations :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

[Rant]

I cant believe what I am reading in most of the posts in this thread - what a miserable bunch of begrudgers most of you are.
    Anyone who saw how england played and almost lost it on their own poor playing in places would find it impossible to consider that Johnson was getting coached via his water bottle.

Anyone dumb enough to believe this shíte, can pm me since I've got some magic beans to sell them.

No wonder Ireland only made it to the quarter finals with all the negativity coming from you lot.

I personally cant wait for the next six nations and the next France & Ireland & England clashes.

[/Rant]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭MagicBusDriver

Totally agree. The number of retarded posts in a row must be a new record for boards. It was a great game, and England deserved to win it. Also Australian people must be the most irritating people on the planet. Why are they so in your face and loud and obnoxious.
    Originally posted by secret_squirrel
    [Rant]

I cant believe what I am reading in most of the posts in this thread - what a miserable bunch of begrudgers most of you are.
    Anyone who saw how england played and almost lost it on their own poor playing in places would find it impossible to consider that Johnson was getting coached via his water bottle.

Anyone dumb enough to believe this shíte, can pm me since I've got some magic beans to sell them.

No wonder Ireland only made it to the quarter finals with all the negativity coming from you lot.

I personally cant wait for the next six nations and the next France & Ireland & England clashes.

[/Rant]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Originally posted by Ping Chow Chi
    I have just watched that video - and all I have to say is that I sure hope you fella's will not be on any jury that I may come up against :D

- yes the england captian and the england coach appeard to be talking at around the same time, guilty ! I suppose it never crossed anyones mind that they could have been talking to the people around them?

and besides - in the video the player hands the bottle back before the coach speaks in his box, it must be a big speaker in the water botter if the player could hear what he said :)

I would suggest that you drop the silly theorys and carry on tucking into that rather large case of sour grapes you obviously have :D

umm its just a joke maybe. Everybody is just messing, its just a funny bit of footage. If england had played decent interesting rugby i would think they deserved it more. All they do is get up to other half and try to get penalties or drop goals. They didn't try to get any tries. Very, very boring to watch. Like wales got 3 tries and england got 1, and johnny put over all the other points. Its the Johnny wilko show like, might aswell have given him the trophy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 geordi3phil

omfg i bin pissin meself since sum1 showed me this thread

you guys are just p*ssed that England own you at yet another sport

you can say all u want that it was only johnny wilko that won us the tournament but hey if johnny wilkinson was on the ireland team we would still beat yous

you must admit it was an edge of the seat game ;)

btw the reason johnny wilkinson scored most those points in those games is because of the conditions ;)

Credit to all the lads i say great tournament and ppl can say england r borin all they want but with players like jason robinson we all know theyre not :p

Advertisement