Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England cheating

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by James Melody
    I've been living in Ireland for nearly 20 years now and there is a huge amount of irrational anti-english sentiment over here which borders on racism. I came over to Ireland from England, with an Irish mother. My first day in school as soon as the teacher left the class I had the whole class get up and yell "Brits out...Up the 'Ra...**** off back to england...etc."...was this because of my english arrogance?

Only 20 years? Bah! Irish mother or not you're just a blow-in! (I've been here 29 years and know perfectly well I'll always be on the outside at certain times). Anyway, which school did you go to? They sound like a bunch of ****...

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I dealt with the same, and i'm irish. English accent was all. Its just part of the psyche for the time being. As for the rugby if he wasn't talking in to the water bottle, he'd a been talking to the physio who was wired up- so what diff does the possibilty make.
    However cos it was johnson its ok, chaps a pr*ck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Erm, it is. What a stupid argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

My only 'sour grapes' with the English is that they didn't win the final by the 15+ points I'd backed them to win by, the latest in a long line of losing bets at this world cup which has seen me gain 'most favoured customer' status at my local bookie.

Now, back on topic (ish). Some people say I'm mad for suggesting that England would have won without Jonny Wilkinson. I stand by that statement. Apart from his goal kicking, he had a very indifferent tournament. OK he gave Robinson a scoring pass in the final after good work by Dallaglio but in reality I thought his general outhalf play was ordinary.

England won because the forwards kept putting Wilkinson into good positions from which to kick. I don't remember a particularly difficult kick (apart from one long range effort) that he got in the final. I'm sure Grayson would have done just as well.

I must admit, I don't like the hero worship of Jonny. I don't think that's good for the game at all, though I accept the arguments made here that England's victory is good for European rugby in general. Certainly there seem to be huge numbers of kids dragging out their long suffering parents to rugby training at the weekends, no doubt inspired by the RWC.

But the sight of one of the most talented young players that I've seen (OK he's only eight but he runs like a whippet) passing the time before kickoff in the pouring rain doing the Wilko Wiggle (hands clasped in front of you, arse stuck out like J-Lo, Bouncing up and down on your knees for a few seconds before kicking) was enough to deaden my heart.

Looks like Jonny is going to continue the BBC's long tradition of giving the 'sports personality of the year award' to somebody who doesn't have one. Previous winners include Nigel MAnsell, Nick Faldo and Princess Anee. This year Jonny is hot favourite. I rest my case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭spanner

My only 'sour grapes' with the English is that they didn't win the final by the 15+ points I'd backed them to win by, the latest in a long line of losing bets at this world cup which has seen me gain 'most favoured customer' status at my local bookie.
    you will never beat the book, ive never meet anyone who has said that they have made more money of the bookies than they have put int
    Now, back on topic (ish). Some people say I'm mad for suggesting that England would have won without Jonny Wilkinson. I stand by that statement. Apart from his goal kicking, he had a very indifferent tournament. OK he gave Robinson a scoring pass in the final after good work by Dallaglio but in reality I thought his general outhalf play was ordinary.

i would agree with you as much as it hurts me to say england are definately the best team in the world, with most of the countries ethier hating them or just wanting to beat them it was like "england v the rest of the world" but i dont agree that he had a "indifferent world cup" obiviously he doesnt run and score tries like jason robinson but he doesnt need to, he is an outhalf and as far as i am concerned he is the greatest in the world

I must admit, I don't like the hero worship of Jonny. I don't think that's good for the game at all, though I accept the arguments made here that England's victory is good for European rugby in general. Certainly there seem to be huge numbers of kids dragging out their long suffering parents to rugby training at the weekends, no doubt inspired by the RWC.

But the sight of one of the most talented young players that I've seen (OK he's only eight but he runs like a whippet) passing the time before kickoff in the pouring rain doing the Wilko Wiggle (hands clasped in front of you, arse stuck out like J-Lo, Bouncing up and down on your knees for a few seconds before kicking) was enough to deaden my heart.
    strangely enough the hero worshipping is actually pretty good for the game, if johnny wilkinson is known everywhere more interest will be generated in the game. As for the kids copying him, kids who play any game need role models like david beckam in soccer and i really dont care they see jonno as long as they are out there playing thats whats really great for the game

Looks like Jonny is going to continue the BBC's long tradition of giving the 'sports personality of the year award' to somebody who doesn't have one. Previous winners include Nigel MAnsell, Nick Faldo and Princess Anee. This year Jonny is hot favourite. I rest my case.
    that i do agree with you thats only ego massaging but still its a harmless bit of fun

Advertisement